Thread Rating:
31 Aug, 2021 Transfer Window: Championship Rebuild
Well there are a few players I would have shown the door before Krov, even if he was only on loan at present. I do think we have players we would miss less and the point on Pereria is also very valid remember that video he released when Krov resigned gushing about his "best friend". I just have one of those feeling for some reason this will come back to bite us.

My biggest concern though is we are almost certainly going to be in our fall back position of looking for 7 or 8 players in the summer, regardless of our division. Because the team will be full of loans players and geriatric fading sun players who we cannot sell because of the salaries they are on, due to us signing them when we needed, them rather than them needing the contract. I'll bet Ivanovich is on a better wage than most of our back line (with the exception of Gibbs and his £60,000 a week) and I doubt we will see him play, unless we are desperate.
The problem with showing other players the door before Krov isn’t that simple. Firstly you either have to terminate their contracts that will cost a fortune if they agree, secondly put them on the transfer list or loan list and hope someone wants them.

Letting loan players go is the easier option to maybe get a replacement. Krov wasn’t that good. We can’t keep looking at ‘flair players’to do a job. We already have Pieriera and Diangana. You need hard working competent players with a flair player in the middle pulling the strings.

Historically we used to have one of these types in the team along with talented hard working team mates. In his day I would suggest Sneekes was that player and Koumas, Maresca and so on.

Obviously this is just my opinion but in our current state too many flair players will cost us. When I say flair I by no means mean top class because we certainly aren’t but we just need hard working honest steady players, ones who will give you a minimum 7 out of 10 performances week in week out. Sadly we don’t even have many of those at the minute.

McCarthy is such a player but all the speculation on NEWSNOW WEST BROM is utter dross with anyone who’s a lazy journalist giving their BS.

Let’s hope Sam can get a few through the door. My main source of realistic stats and news comes from our very own Josh.
harrogatebaggie likes this post
BLACK COUNTRY BY BIRTH, ALBION BY THE GRACE OF GOD AND MY OLD MAN

You go in the cage? cage goes in the water, sharks in the water....Our Shark Cry

Ultrinque Paratus
(23-01-2021, 12:56)Worldclassalbion Wrote: The problem with showing other players the door before Krov isn’t that simple. Firstly you either have to terminate their contracts that will cost a fortune if they agree, secondly put them on the transfer list or loan list and hope someone wants them.

Let’s hope Sam can get a few through the door. My main source of realistic stats and news comes from our very own Josh.
I fully agree with the logistics of letting Krov go, I was looking at football more than money to be honest. It is difficult to get the players we need,, when bouncing between leagues, but I have always said and I probably always will. I would rather be a club which very competitive, week in, week out in the Championship, where they play real football. Than a club which is in the Premiership purely for the money, just their to make the numbers up where an amazingly successful season would be a top 8 finish, but no hope whatsoever of ever competing on an equal basis with the big teams, week in, week out.

Spot on with Josh, he gives a stat or recommendation I just accept it, all the professionals I check. Whistle
Worldclassalbion, BaggieSteve, harrogatebaggie like this post
I'd be a bit wary of Josh's stats, myself. He's not very good when it comes to how old people are...
WBA-Josh and harrogatebaggie like this post
I've made my feelings known about Krovinovic since the summer really...

I simply never understood the relentless pursuit of a player who who was, in my opinion, a reasonably decent Championship player at best.

In fact, it's one of the reasons why I lost faith in Bilic early. It seemed to me that he was clearly being pursued because he was "liked" rather than talented. And while I understand that it's important to have a good mood in the camp, you don't prioritise personality over talent when the purse strings are tight. That loan could've been used to cover right back or defensive midfield, 2 positions we're desperately short in.

For me, we saw last season that he was another "luxury" player (i.e. doesn't tackle or defend). As far as luxury players go, I like to see them with more ability and creation. The guy takes too many touches and doesn't move the ball fast enough. Slows down every attack. I never saw anything last year to suggest he could make the step up and Bilic's insistence that he was number 1 target made me think he was clueless.

As for terminating the loan, I understand it because there is no long term deal going to be struck either way. If we go down, we can't afford him. If we stay up, we wouldn't want to spend £5m+ on him. Every week he stays is simply eating money before an inevitable return to Benfica. If it gives Allardyce a little more wriggle room to acquire an extra player on loan or pay a bit more salary for a loanee that can impact upon the first team, it makes sense. Even under Bilic he was rarely picked, despite Bilic's incessant badgering of the club publicly to sign him.

Don't get me wrong though, I wish him well. Comes across as a good guy, and I don't necessarily think he's any worse than some of our other players. I just don't think he's any better and that's what we should've been focused on in the summer. Plus I'm just sick of us having an entire midfield that can't tackle. No fault of his own, but Krovi is one of them. It all comes down to us signing too many of the same type.
drewks, SomersetBaggie, harrogatebaggie And 1 others like this post
Benteke is another one we’re looking at, except for his villa days he had his best season at Palace under Allardyce .
I would like this signing as he is up to speed in the premiership and good hold up player,he would bring Pereira into play higher up the pitch also would bring wingers and wingbacks into play. If we bring any players in from abroad we will be taking a chance they can come straight in and be up to speed.
I have to say that all the strikers in whom we are rumoured to have an interest fill me with complete dismay. All are totally underwhelming in their scoring “achievements” - some were good a few seasons ago but, as expected, we could neither afford nor attract them when they were successful but we probably can now they’re past it. I guess this is a fair reflection of our status as a club - bugger all money and likely to get relegated; consequently, the players who will sign are those bang average ones looking for a fast buck, for whom we’ll undoubtedly pay over the odds
Sorry for the pessimism but feeling underwhelmed at the moment
The light at the end of the tunnel is the light of an oncoming train
Beggars can’t be choosers. Sadly.
(23-01-2021, 21:36)Stairs Wrote: Beggars can’t be choosers. Sadly.

A bit of positivity. Josh Griffiths and Finn Azaz both played for Cheltenham today, and both looked good and did themselves proud against Man City. Looking forward to them continuing to move through the divisions, and hopefully wearing the first team shirt in a couple of years time.
Baggievicar likes this post
Ahmed Musa rumour. Isn't he another winger?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »