Thread Rating:
31 Aug, 2021 Transfer Window: Championship Rebuild
Robert Snodgrass could be incoming reports Express and Star’s Masi. Good in the dressing room nominal fee, free kick expert.why not on a short term deal. Need some experience.
Not a big fan of what he calls football BaggieSteve. Thumb down

A centre-back as a player who would pick 10 centre backs for his team if he could. If he was managing your side with the Three Degrees in it, they'd never have been called that, he wouldn't have picked all three in the same side. Doubtful he'd have picked two to be honest.

While the draw with Liverpool looked good on it's own as a result, the Scousers are showing they are human after all right now with their current run of results, so maybe you caught them at the right time.

When trying to play the same way against L666s and Arsenal at home gets you a pair of battering's, no goals and a goalie with a bad back from picking the ball out of the net, you have to look at yourself rather than blaming the players - especially the one's he didn't pick. Getting a battering trying to play football - it also happened to L666s at Man U - is one thing. Getting battered not trying to get out of your own half is a different matter entirely.

I hope you stay up, I really do, but I'd like to see you playing football the WBA way doing it, not his way.
drewks, talkSAFT, BaggieSteve like this post
A guide to cask ale.

[Image: aO7W3pZ.png]

Multi-tasking. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.
(06-01-2021, 14:34)theo_luddite Wrote: Not a big fan of what he calls football BaggieSteve. Thumb down

A centre-back as a player who would pick 10 centre backs for his team if he could. If he was managing your side with the Three Degrees in it, they'd never have been called that, he wouldn't have picked all three in the same side. Doubtful he'd have picked two to be honest.

While the draw with Liverpool looked good on it's own as a result, the Scousers are showing they are human after all right now with their current run of results, so maybe you caught them at the right time.

When trying to play the same way against L666s and Arsenal at home gets you a pair of battering's, no goals and a goalie with a bad back from picking the ball out of the net, you have to look at yourself rather than blaming the players - especially the one's he didn't pick. Getting a battering trying to play football - it also happened to L666s at Man U - is one thing. Getting battered not trying to get out of your own half is a different matter entirely.

I hope you stay up, I really do, but I'd like to see you playing football the WBA way doing it, not his way.

For me the comments about Allardyce picking all defenders are baseless. It's simply a stigma that has spread like wildfire without any justification. I'd love to know at which team he did that?

I've looked through the line ups of every team he's managed in the Premier League and they have all had flair players. His Bolton team featured both Jay Jay Okocha and Youri Djorkaef, two of the most creative players in the history of the Premier League. Okocha is one of the most entertaining players of all time. Allardyce brought both players to the league.

At Sunderland he signed Wahbi Khazri to keep them up and he was a creative winger. He was as undisciplined a player as you could get, but he scored and created the goals to keep them up.

At West Ham he picked Ravel Morrison. To my knowledge he's the only manager in the history of the game to give him a chance, every other manager said he was too undisciplined.

Yes, there has been times he's had to graft his way to survival with crap teams, but never has he picked a team without wingers and creators. You can look through all of the teams he's managed in the Premier League. There are plenty of other managers who have done the same but don't seem to attract the stigma, typically because they are young and/or foreign. I mean Eddie Howe is considered some sort of messiah and his Bournemouth teams simply lulled sides to death before he wasted hundreds of millions and was eventually relegated. I never watched any Bournemouth game under Howe that involved any attractive football, but because the guy is under 40 he's given this 'modern coach' badge. Fair play to Bielsa at Leeds and Gasperini at Atalanta who are breaking the stimga about 'older' coaches, producing the most freescoring teams in their respective leagues.

Sure, Sam isn't one of those swashbuckling managers but he's no more negative than many others who seem to escape the stimaga. Not sure if it's because he's old, English, has a bulldog face or a mix of the three, but he seems to get a raw deal. On the one occasion he was given money and not only tasked with inheriting a crap side and keeping them up, he always took Bolton to the Champions League and had them playing good football.

We haven't played any decent football this season, so I doubt he's going to change that. But probably people will 'notice' how crap the football is now - which seemed to go unnoticed before - presumably because the coach had a foreign name and that seems to by default make the team 'exciting'.

And as far as the Liverpool performance goes, we remain the only team to take a point from Anfield. Sure, they have been rubbish on the road all season - Villa put 7 past them at Villa Park - but at home they have turned everyone over. So that performance shouldn't be underestimated, it was one of the few performances this season where we got our balance right.
Regarding the Snodgrass deal, if there is any truth in it...

I understand he's experienced, a grafter and good in the dressing room. So it's understandable as a freebie deal (or nominal fee) in some ways...

But the fact he plays in the one position that we don't need shows how limited our choices are. We are basically scratting around for anyone who fits the experience bracket and comes for nothing, rather than being able to hand pick targets that fit out main requirements - full back and central midfield areas IMO. While he will improve us, he plays in the position we have an abundance of.

Shows how tough of a job it is for any manager.
(07-01-2021, 12:30)Slick_Footwork Wrote: Regarding the Snodgrass deal, if there is any truth in it...

I understand he's experienced, a grafter and good in the dressing room. So it's understandable as a freebie deal (or nominal fee) in some ways...

But the fact he plays in the one position that we don't need shows how limited our choices are. We are basically scratting around for anyone who fits the experience bracket and comes for nothing, rather than being able to hand pick targets that fit out main requirements - full back and central midfield areas IMO. While he will improve us, he plays in the position we have an abundance of.

Disagree about Snodgrass we do need a right winger, We have had no width all season Diangana has produced next to nothing , Phillips is time at the Hawthornes is ending and Grosiki and Edwards have hardly been used by either manager. We need an experienced winger now, for a central box to box midfielder,a full back a central defender and a striker.  I actually feel sorry for Grant as he has had no one creating anything for him.
Slick_Footwork likes this post
(07-01-2021, 15:24)wba13 Wrote:
(07-01-2021, 12:30)Slick_Footwork Wrote: Regarding the Snodgrass deal, if there is any truth in it...

Disagree about Snodgrass we do need a right winger, We have had no width all season Diangana has produced next to nothing , Phillips is time at the Hawthornes is ending and Grosiki and Edwards have hardly been used by either manager. We need an experienced winger now, for a central box to box midfielder,a full back a central defender and a striker.  I actually feel sorry for Grant as he has had no one creating anything for him.

For me the priority list would be defensive midfielder, right back, left back, centre half, forward, box to box midfielder and finally a winger...

That said, I don't disagree about our current wingers underperforming / not being good enough. But volume wise, we have so many players who can play on the wing. As well as Phillips and Grady; we have Robinson, Pereira, Grosicki and Edwards who can play there. Robbo looked good when he dropped back in the 2nd half against Arsenal and also when he came on against Brighton in that role. Most of Grant's goals last season came when he was playing from the left of midfield and even Krovinovic can operate there.

My worry is that we use a large chunk of the salary budget and then miss out on positions we are desperate for. Hopefully he is signed to replace someone being sold so it doesn't negatively impact on our ability to recruit other roles. Personally think it's mad the quality we have on the bench on the wings like Grosicki, when we start with dross like Furlong at right back.

I suspect it will probably be a replacement for Grosicki, who will be sold tho. Shame in my eyes as I always believed he had something to offer. But if it frees up funds for other positions, it's better than him just rotting on the bench and in the under 23s. Snodgrass of course boasts good set play ability, to could help if we resort to having to put Ajayi into midfield if we're unable to sign a proper defensive mid.
Saw on West Brom newsnow. Emile heskey, my first thoughts were he is a bit old to sign even for us. He is just chipping in with Ollie Watkins would have been a good signing for us at 28 million. Do ex players get paid for this bo**ocks.
https://www.wba.co.uk/news/albion-secure...-signature

The Snod has signed. Experience yes, the rest hmmmm
What about Wilshere?
He's a free agent so it would be worth a punt for me.
I actually think Snodgrass is a positive, but don't see any point in the Lonerghan signing.
(08-01-2021, 17:10)derbybaggie Wrote: https://www.wba.co.uk/news/albion-secure...-signature

The Snod has signed. Experience yes, the rest hmmmm

Apparently he can play holding midfield... straight in then Laugh

In all seriousness, if we had signed Snodgrass at the start of the season I'd probably be moaning. But things have changed and now I see it as quite a positive move. We're desperately short of both experience and graft and he provides both of them. We need a few players who will leave everything out on the pitch and hopefully we can rely on him for that. The fact he's chipped in with a couple of goals in the cup for West Ham this season means he's probably kept himself fit which is biggest concern when you sign someone at this age.

It would be nice to follow up with full backs, a defensive midfielder and forward...

I saw Newcastle were linked with the Monaco right back Sidebe who was on loan at Everton last year. I'd like us to go in for him and Jetro Williams, the left back who was on loan at Newcastle last year. Both should be available and would be improvements at full back. Danny Rose would be an alternate left back who is probably available on a free. Sakho would work for centre back and then it's just a case of finding an ample defensive midfielder.
harrogatebaggie likes this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »