Thread Rating:
31 Aug, 2021 Transfer Window: Championship Rebuild
(15-09-2020, 20:51)WBA-Josh Wrote: Xande Silva is a right winger so I can only see it happen if Phillips is leaving.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/xande-si...ler/258011

Interesting theory that, because I've had a feeling for a week or so that Phillips could be on his way to Burnley.

Pure speculation on my behalf, but it just feel like Burnley have been sniffing around him for a couple of years. Phillips being "injured" at the weekend and Burnley looking likely to have incoming cash from the sale of Tarkowski made the stars align. I'm guessing they will be spending that money on a centre half replacement and a midfielder to replace Hendrick.

That's why it wouldn't shock me if they also came in for Hegazi. No real reasoning behind that other than he fits the mould of an experienced defender who would fit their wage structure. Phillips and Hegazi would cost a lot less than what they would sell Tarkowski for, netting them a tidy profit and giving them instant replacements who have both previously played under a manager with similar philosophies to Dyche.

We know from Burnley's acquisition of Rodriguez, Sean Dyche prefers players who have experience over younger players. They both fit this mould.

Now Ivanovic has come in, Hegazi is likely to be surplus to requirements. Bilic selected both O'Shea and Bartley in front of him on Saturday and Bartley for most of last season. Presumably Ivanovic and Kipre will also push Hegazi further down the pecking order.

It also feels like we're waiting on some incoming cash to get deals over the line (Krov, Grant). Might be wrong, but this is often the way transfer work with the domino effect of one sale relying on another, relying on another. That's one of the reasons why deals go to the wire on deadline day.

Of course I could be miles off here.....
harrogatebaggie likes this post
You could be right . After Gallagher I’m certain that Krov and Grant will arrive but don’t know why. But I also think there will a surprise signing. There will also be a couple out.
harrogatebaggie likes this post
So now Ivanovic is in, does that mean there's a chance that Eva Carneiro might pay a surprise visit to the shrine?  Asking for a friend   Big Grin Big Grin Whistle Big Grin Big Grin
"West Brom interested in signing Mbwana Samatta from Villa"......please tell me this isn't true Dodgy
The light at the end of the tunnel is the light of an oncoming train
Funny link because I was talking to the Villa fans at work last week about Samatta.

We were in disagreement about him; they thought he was dreadful where as I thought he was one of their better players in the games I watched, which was every game after lockdown.

I said if they didn't want him I'd be happy to take him on loan. I didn't think it could ever happen with them being rivals and all. Still don't really.

But I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if we did pull this off as he's a proper number 9 which is what we need IMO. We've got plenty of 'winger come forward' types, so don't think we need more.

Obviously he didn't show much in front of goal for Villa but that's largely because they have the creativity of a shoe box. I think he would do better for us with our wingers.
wba1978 likes this post
(17-09-2020, 18:49)BaggieSteve Wrote: "West Brom interested in signing Mbwana Samatta from Villa"......please tell me this isn't true  Dodgy

Could we sign a centre forward from the seals who has a worse scoring record then Austin - HRK or Zohore.
1 goal in 14 appearances, another goal scorer who doesn't score goals.
It's a No thanks from me.
2020 the year the bubble burst  Doh
(17-09-2020, 19:47)Blue Baggie Wrote:
(17-09-2020, 18:49)BaggieSteve Wrote: "West Brom interested in signing Mbwana Samatta from Villa"......please tell me this isn't true  Dodgy

Could we sign a centre forward from the seals who has a worse scoring record then Austin - HRK or Zohore.
1 goal in 14 appearances, another goal scorer who doesn't score goals.
It's a No thanks from me.

Samatta does have a good goal scoring record through his career though, unlike HRK and Zohore.

He's had one bad season in his career at Villa. I think it looks worse on paper than it actually is, because Smith always take his forward off at 70 minutes no matter what. Some of those 14 appearances will be as sub, which means he came on at 70 minutes. So in blocks of 90, he didn't play that many games. His solitary goal was against City in the cup final, so isn't phased by the big occasion.

I watched him for Genk and always thought he was a goal threat. Genk scored 2 Champions League goals last season and he got them both, including a goal against Liverpool.

He can score if he gets service and crosses. He didn't get that at Villa, hindered by Smith playing 4 central midfielders just to try and grind out results. Admittedly, you could see his confidence sinking in the last few games and he missed headed chances that he would've buried at Genk.

I know I'll be in the minority, but I'd favour him over Grant as he's a proper number 9 who holds the ball up, plays it simple and gets into the box. He's an absolute beast in the air. Grant played on the wing last season and we already have Robinson who is a winger/forward. I feel like we need something different.

I doubt we have any chance of getting him anyway. Villa would never risk looking ridiculous by letting him go to a rival.
CONFIRMED: #WBA have signed Conor Gallagher on a season-long loan from Chelsea.

#WBAFC https://t.co/Rh8zpK7O4e
WBA-Josh, derbybaggie, Worldclassalbion like this post
2x Premier League Champ 1x Championship Winner and World cup Winner
(17-09-2020, 20:17)Beefy 1965 Wrote: CONFIRMED: #WBA have signed Conor Gallagher on a season-long loan from Chelsea.

#WBAFC https://t.co/Rh8zpK7O4e

Good addition. Saw him a few times in the Championship and despite his young age he is a hard worker who isn't scared to put a foot in. Also chips in with some goals.

I assume this ends the interest in Krovinovic as they play in similar roles. More maybe Krov incoming will depend if we sell anyone.

Although forward and a defensive sitting midfielder have to be the main priorities.

For me this is us fully stocked in attacking midfield.
7 goals in 20 in the first half of last season for Genk and 20 in 28 in the league and 9 in the Europa League the season before that.

Yes it is the Jupiler League but it is still a good goal record and superior to our current bunch of strikers.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »