Thread Rating:
31 Aug, 2021 Transfer Window: Championship Rebuild
Worth note that Zenit walked the Russian League last season. They were miles ahead of the pack.

Won 2, Drawn 1 and Lost 3 in a tough group in the Champions League. Beat Lyon at home and drew away and we know Lyon went on to the semis knocking City out. Other win was at home against Benfica.

So might not be such a bad signing if he's kept himself fit in the time off. Albeit, the age does raise some alarm bells.

Found this video on Youtube of some of his goals and tackles (uploaded Sept 19). Not sure when the clips are from, but he certainly doesn't look like a mid 30s defender with the bicycle kick at the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nELGayEXcfQ
(10-09-2020, 21:06)WBA-Josh Wrote: The Russian Premier League is a funny one. It's on par with the Portuguese league as a whole but once you've taken Zenit, CSKA Moscow, Spartak Moscow, Lokomotiv Moscow, Krasnodar, Dynamo Moscow and Rostov out of the equation, the quality then becomes more mid-table Championship and below level. There is Rubin Kazan and Akhmat Grozny who are decent (Rubin Kazan was the best team in Russia 11-12 years ago) but no better than Blues, Reading etc.

I quite like the idea of Ivanovic. I have also looked into his time in Russia and as normal Josh is right. He has captained the champions and mainly played as a centre half. He is big and good in the air and whilst he will be slower than he was, it may work well with Ajayi who is very mobile. We are very inexperienced at the back, except for Gibbs. So a big plus for his experience. He is a leader and we could do with one, we were all saying we need more on the pitch last year. He is in on a free, so just his wages, likely to only be for a year, which will be cheaper than a transfer fee for bringing in a moderate premier league player or a decent championship player. I think it makes sense, if Bilic can convince him to come to us. If it happens I think we will then sell hegazi and put the money towards getting grant through the door. Dowling seems to be revelling in doing deals, so I think there may be quite some wheeling and dealing to be done yet. Hold tight.
drewks likes this post
Lee Peltier resigned on a 12 month contract. This is a good deal as he has been here since the start of training, he’s fit well liked and an experienced player who can cover along the back four.
Has he ever actually got on the pitch for us? Can't remember.
Only in pre season friendly’s.
totally forgot about him
@Kristien 1965
Ivanovic not signing until next week and according to Bilic he won't be fit for at least 2 weeks. Krov has not been signed from Benfica. We want loan, they want to sell? Our squad pretty much is the same that gained promotion. Less Brunt Barry Ferguson & Krov. I have a feeling Bilic would have liked more improvement / quality over last year's swuad. The majority of pundits are predicting relegation - Richard Keys had us to finish 21st seriously funny.
2020 the year the bubble burst  Doh
(12-09-2020, 08:48)Blue Baggie Wrote: Ivanovic not signing until next week and according to Bilic he won't be fit for at least 2 weeks. Krov has not been signed from Benfica. We want loan, they want to sell? Our squad pretty much is the same that gained promotion. Less Brunt Barry Ferguson & Krov. I have a feeling Bilic would have liked more improvement / quality over last year's swuad. The majority of pundits are predicting relegation - Richard Keys had us to finish 21st seriously funny.

I'm not sure this is THAT bad a thing, as we were virtually thrown together the day of the first game last season, if I remember rightly! The fact that we've got a mostly settled squad with everyone knowing each other's game is a positive for me. Yup, I know the wheels nearly came off in the restart, but was that nerves? The empty stadium thing? Who knows.
I DO know that we played some fantastic football for an awful lot of the season which would've caused problems for a lot of PL teams.
Yup, we obviously need a goalscorer or 2, but IF SB manages to get Deeney & Grant in, I'll be a happy bunny.
harrogatebaggie likes this post
For my tuppence having seen good comments by Harrogate and Drewks etc, though we'll start with enthuisasm et cetera, teams will have sussed us out by X'mas, we still have January sales (if that is still the case) so any 'week' players can then be exchanged for new players. I hope that makes some sense.
WBA World Cup P/League WINNER 2018. WBA League Cup Winner 2021.
WBA Prediction Legue WINNER 2020/21 Play off winner 23
HUDDERSFIELD FC Prediction League WINNER 2021/22/RU 23

Best author award Mystery Novels 2021 Thumb up
Goals Assists Goals per 90Mins Total Shots Goal Conversion Shot Accuracy
Jamie Vardy Leicester City
23       5            0.68                  132          32%              61%

Troy Deeney Watford
10      2           0.40                     32           31%              72%

Increase his shots on goal, compared to Vardy top scorer last year, we have a winner with his goal conversion and accurancy.
A decent signing as I predicted weeks ago if we get him.
WBA World Cup P/League WINNER 2018. WBA League Cup Winner 2021.
WBA Prediction Legue WINNER 2020/21 Play off winner 23
HUDDERSFIELD FC Prediction League WINNER 2021/22/RU 23

Best author award Mystery Novels 2021 Thumb up
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »