Thread Rating:
31 Aug, 2021 Transfer Window: Championship Rebuild
What a load of tosh
I want one of these loans ...

When the parachute payments have gone guys .......
WORRY !!!

Mattwilson@expressandstar
Owner Guochuan Lai has told #wba restrictions into foreign investment from the Chinese government are stopping him paying the £4.1m debt he inherited from Jeremy Peace https://t.co/rFpkTDbhfT

Surely the £4.1 million is classed as a debt owed and not a new investment?

Huge stink on Twitter,
This is what Lai claims yet financial investors on Twitter say it's not a new interest so there is no restriction to pay, it's a obligation to pay the debt !!

Here's one take on it off Twitter

Good job I was sitting down when reading this. Part of me wanted to roll around on the floor laughing at the sheer brass neck and audacity of it. Another part wanted to hit the ceiling in fury.

Let's remind ourselves just how serious this is: Jeremy Peace in 2014 took a secret £3.7 million loan (now £4.1 million, with interest) from West Bromwich Albion Group (currently owned by 12% of us shareholders) to his solely owned company West Bromwich Albion Holdings. Shareholders were then offered £3,000 for each of their shares, which many accepted. It took Mr Peace to above 75% ownership of our club - enabling him to sell. He sold to Palm for approximately £20,000 a share two years later. Surely, he has not used the loan money to actually finance his majority purchase of the club? This would be illegal.

If that was not bad enough - and yes, it's as bad as it sounds - he then refused to pay back the debt, leaving it with the new "owners" who posses 88% of our club. This business of "accruing interest" is also nonsense. Not a single penny of interest has been paid. Can any of us think of a single loan which we've had for five years during which no interest is paid, either monthly, quarterly or annually?

So now Palm come up with this scam...that they are not allowed to pay back a debt because it is linked to a Chinese government directive. What utter nonsense. Mr Lai-Low and his operative in the UK, Mr Li-Lower, (not to mention another Chinese penny pincher, with the cosy nickname of Ken, who is based at the training ground, going through the small change) need to start delivering answers - and fast. The Chinese government is not ordering Mr Lai to avoid a legally due debt. We all want to know what - exactly - Mr Peace did with the cash. What a shower!

Remember: This whole business is not a result of anyone at West Bromwich Albion coming clean about the debt. It is down wholly to forensic work in to past accounts by one of our shareholders, top legal expert and Albion fanatic, Peter Wall - a man who is, quietly and determinedly, demanding answers to a series of key questions. This is an on-going scandal.

And is it true that Mark Jenkins was the Financial Director when the loan was taken out?

Usual pre transfer window PR spin machine is in full force I see...

Fact - Chinese outbound investment has historically fallen into three groups...Encouraged, Restricted and Prohibited. Outward cashflow to sports clubs went from 'Encouraged' to 'Restricted' last year to regulate large outflows. If the outflow is below a certain limit (dont recall the exact figure, but it's in the hundreds of millions) the transaction has to be recorded prior at a local level for approval, anything above has to be ratified and approved centrally by the Chinese government.

It may take a couple of months due to the red tape now in place, but it is completely legal to move funds out of China to facilitate ongoing servicing of initial investment.

Remember, investment is not Prohibited just restricted. I have seen working examples so this is not theory.
Baggiebob(BBB) likes this post
2x Premier League Champ 1x Championship Winner and World cup Winner
Beefy your correct SIR, I have said many times he has business interests around the globe and move millions about on a daily basis.
He must also be a crook and thief - nobody genuinely earns his type of money from landscaping gardens.
The only reason he doesn't put any money into our club is because he doesn't want to. THE END
After this season we need £20 million a season to sustain us financially per season and that's a fact, its better for us he sells us and we get someone
who genuinely cares and is prepared to back us.
2020 the year the bubble burst  Doh
Looks like we're in the poo for the short term at least.
Hopefully there's something that can be done to call his bluff over this loan, and to convince him that if he hangs on to the club, it can and will only go down in value without investment
I think its also clear that - No transfers will be made OR players sold - until after the new manager has had a look at the players, and had an assessment on the players before deciding who stays and goes.
So another week at least.
WBA World Cup P/League WINNER 2018. WBA League Cup Winner 2021.
WBA Prediction Legue WINNER 2020/21 Play off winner 23
HUDDERSFIELD FC Prediction League WINNER 2021/22/RU 23

Best author award Mystery Novels 2021 Thumb up
He can sit down and watch them in action, he doesn't need to see them run up and down a training ground. He may need to understand if they are up for the fight or just here for the ride. Or if they don't want to be here. Obviously he will need to sell before he can buy anyone that's a given.
2020 the year the bubble burst  Doh
Bilic needs to look at last season’s tapes and assess the players in training to see what their fitness, technical skills and attitude are.

I’d expect to see at least all of next week pass before we sign anyone.
robdorsett@sky.com
#wbafc in talks with #afc over Carl Jenkinson, I understand. He played only 8 games for Arsenal last season, and is keen on a move for more first team football.
2x Premier League Champ 1x Championship Winner and World cup Winner
(19-06-2019, 19:25)Beefy 1965 Wrote: robdorsett@sky.com
#wbafc in talks with #afc over Carl Jenkinson, I understand. He played only 8 games for Arsenal last season, and is keen on a move for more first team football.

Bilic had him at West Ham in 2015/2016 so not a surprising link. He was Bilic’s first choice right back until 2/3 into the season when he got a serious knee injury and had to return to Arsenal.

I’d be very happy with it because he is a very good player. Bring in Reece Oxford to play at right centre back and we’ll be good on that side.
(19-06-2019, 19:34)WBA-Josh Wrote:
(19-06-2019, 19:25)Beefy 1965 Wrote: robdorsett@sky.com

Bilic had him at West Ham in 2015/2016 so not a surprising link. He was Bilic’s first choice right back until 2/3 into the season when he got a serious knee injury and had to return to Arsenal.

I’d be very happy with it because he is a very good player. Bring in Reece Oxford to play at right centre back and we’ll be good on that side.
There has also been talk today that Watford on in discussion ‘s over Dawson that is also from sky.
A bit off topic, but good to see Harvey Barnes has just signed a 5 year contract, sadly not with us but, hey Oh.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »