Thread Rating:
Jan 03: WBA 2018/19 Transfer Window
(20-08-2018, 13:47)Baggiebob(BBB) Wrote: How can we put Brunt in at l/b as suggested? I've never seen him tackle anyone - well not full on - so speedy r/wingers will show him the ball and flash past him - creating scoring chances for the op team. Keep Gibbs and find a right back.

My thoughts exactly and even more concerning is you would lose his left foot crosses/passes, if he is stuck at left back. To be fair as loyal servant to the club as he has been, that is the only reason he keeps his regular place for me.
(20-08-2018, 13:47)Baggiebob(BBB) Wrote: How can we put Brunt in at l/b as suggested? I've never seen him tackle anyone - well not full on - so speedy r/wingers will show him the ball and flash past him - creating scoring chances for the op team. Keep Gibbs and find a right back.

Did pretty well at left back last season, both for us and Northern Ireland IMO.

Considering the higher quality of winger, he didn't get exposed badly. I actually don't remember him getting ripped a new one at all as he seemed to use his body well. Also defended the back stick in the air better than Gibbs.

Although ideally I agree we would keep Gibbs, as that's his position.

I just thought Brunt looked really poor in the middle of the park in the game I saw (Forest) as he didn't seem to have the legs for it. I watched every game last season and thought he looked more accomplished at left back as his defending had improved and seemed to attack better overlapping. But it could be that he should only be a bit part player in any role at his age now.
10 days to sign a couple of full backs or get Dawson at RB and Chadli as LWB
Sitting by and doing nothing is not what we need to see.
Come on Dave be brave
(20-08-2018, 21:00)Phil Penn Wrote: 10 days to sign a couple of full backs or get Dawson at RB and Chadli as LWB
Come on Dave be brave

Can we only take out of contract players now, or foreigners? Whatever we do we better get a move on cause we still could lose a couple more players - Hegazi - Rodriguez.

And how is Barry playing this season - not seen a game.
WBA World Cup P/League WINNER 2018. WBA League Cup Winner 2021.
WBA Prediction Legue WINNER 2020/21 Play off winner 23
HUDDERSFIELD FC Prediction League WINNER 2021/22/RU 23

Best author award Mystery Novels 2021 Thumb up
(21-08-2018, 11:12)Baggiebob(BBB) Wrote:
(20-08-2018, 21:00)Phil Penn Wrote: 10 days to sign a couple of full backs or get Dawson at RB and Chadli as LWB
Come on Dave be brave

Can we only take out of contract players now, or foreigners? Whatever we do we better get a move on cause we still could lose a couple more players - Hegazi - Rodriguez.

And how is Barry playing this season - not seen a game.

Hasn't each club got to name a 25 man - or woman - squad by a certain date to go up to January?

With that in mind, I think:
Out of contract - yes.
Jonny foreigners (or from overseas leagues) - till end of August?

I've heard rumours of interest from overseas for Hegazi but not for JRod..... think we're okay with him unless we let him out on loan, which must be as unlikely as Mourinho taking over at Workington
The transfer window for signing players players has ended. The loan window is now open until the end of August, so a club can bring in loan players from anywhere up to that date. Out of contract players can be signed at anytime I believe. Many of the European leagues transfer windows are still fully open, so they can still sign players from English clubs, we just cannot buy from them.

As regards the 25 man squads, I believe that is only a PL rule, never heard of that being used in the EFL.
(21-08-2018, 18:46)St Charles Owl Wrote: The transfer window for signing players players has ended.  The loan window is now open until the end of August, so a club can bring in loan players from anywhere up to that date.  Out of contract players can be signed at anytime I believe.  Many of the European leagues transfer windows are still fully open, so they can still sign players from English clubs, we just cannot buy from them.  

As regards the 25 man squads, I believe that is only a PL rule, never heard of that being used in the EFL.

Thanks for all your answers. That clears that up for me.
WBA World Cup P/League WINNER 2018. WBA League Cup Winner 2021.
WBA Prediction Legue WINNER 2020/21 Play off winner 23
HUDDERSFIELD FC Prediction League WINNER 2021/22/RU 23

Best author award Mystery Novels 2021 Thumb up
35 year old right back Tyrone Mears has signed on a rolling contract until January.

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2018/august/m...ns-albion/

If we’re relying on a free transfers, we could have looked at German right back Dennis Diekmeier. He’s good enough to be first choice at right back rather than just a cover man like Mears.
With the signing of 35 years old Tyrone Mears, it’s good to see the owner is investing some serious money in the club. As we could do with a central midfielder, I wonder what Sir Bobby Charlton is doing these days.
Wonder if Bryan Robson fancies his old midfield berth back.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »