Thread Rating:
Jan 03: WBA 2018/19 Transfer Window
Couple of older experienced guys who could do a job for 12 months
CH no club Robert Huth
RB no club Glenn Johnson
Will be more players when the PL clubs declare the 25 nominated squad players.

Things could always be worse
West Ham have spent over £100 million and today lose 1st game 4 - 0 (and Sturridge scores?)
(12-08-2018, 16:10)Phil Penn Wrote: Couple of older experienced guys who could do a job for 12 months
CH no club Robert Huth
RB no club Glenn Johnson
Will be more players when the PL clubs declare the 25 nominated squad players.

Things could always be worse
West Ham have spent over £100 million and today lose 1st game 4 - 0 (and Sturridge scores?)

Seems that Sturridge should be grateful to our medic team to get him to play in this game. Maybe Liverpool should pay us for this Whistle
WBA World Cup P/League WINNER 2018. WBA League Cup Winner 2021.
WBA Prediction Legue WINNER 2020/21 Play off winner 23
HUDDERSFIELD FC Prediction League WINNER 2021/22/RU 23

Best author award Mystery Novels 2021 Thumb up
(14-08-2018, 17:45)Baggiebob(BBB) Wrote:  Seems that Sturridge should be grateful to our medic team to get him to play in this game. Maybe Liverpool should pay us for this Whistle

Yes about £5,000,000 should cover it, the £4 mil we paid Liverpool plus on costs for treatment etc.
Gibbs off to Schalke? Strong roumor in press conference, although not named. So may just be media gossip.
Thank F...k

Jamesnursery@telegraph ,......
Small piece of #wba transfer news: defender Allan Nyom is set to sign for Leganès on a season’s loan.
2x Premier League Champ 1x Championship Winner and World cup Winner
(16-08-2018, 20:13)Beefy 1965 Wrote: Thank F...k

Jamesnursery@telegraph ,......
Small piece of #wba transfer news: defender Allan Nyom is set to sign for Leganès on a season’s loan.

Who needs a full back, FFS
So what the xxxx are we going to do at right back then?

Dawson would seem the most likely choice until January. I think he’d be very solid back there and the defence would be sured up. What I will say is I really don’t want to see us having to play with 3 centre backs and Phillips at right wing back too much this season, it doesn't look right to me with our squad.
(16-08-2018, 23:02)WBA-Josh Wrote: So what the **** are we going to do at right back then?

Dawson would seem the most likely choice until January. I think he’d be very solid back there and the defence would be sured up. What I will say is I really don’t want to see us having to play with 3 centre backs and Phillips at right wing back too much this season, it doesn't look right to me with our squad.

Haven't seen any of our newbies yet, but IMHO we've been very VERY limited in the past few years by both TP and a real lack of pace at the back. This clearly leads to us sitting very deep and inviting pressure from WHOEVER we play.
However we choose to line up I'd love to see this addressed.... are any of our new peeps speedy?
(16-08-2018, 23:02)By a number WBA-Josh Wrote: So what the **** are we going to do at right back then?

Before Phillips could play in any role as a wing back or full back, he would need to learn how to tackle and also have a HEART transplant. He looks terrified everytime someone runs at him with the ball. It's just another cost cutting job done.
None of our centre defenders have much pace Drewks. It’s only our left backs that do. Personally I don’t mind us defending deep, it does the job and stops pace in behind exposing Bartley and Hegazi. The issue with defending deep comes after winning the ball. Under Pulis it would be hoof or a couple of rushed passes and then hoof. The team needs to learn to keep their composure and pass their way out from the back with movement from the midfielders to create passing lanes to bring the ball forward. Hopefully Graeme Jones can help with that.

Regarding playing with a back 3, I said the other day I’d only like to see us play it in a fluid system. So in possession Dawson tucks in from right back whilst Gibbs or Townsend moves high up the pitch from left back to left wing. Then out of possession Gibbs or Townsend drops back to left back and the three centre backs all move across to the right to create a normal back four. That would mean Phillips not having to defend as a full back, where he’ll struggle, whilst being able to attack like a wing-back/winger when we have possession. Belgium did something similar against Brazil (opposite side though) so Graeme Jones again could point Big Dave in that direction if we have no right back.

Nyom has now departed.

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2018/august/n...loan-move/

Schalke have signed left back Hamza Mendyl from Lille. That means Gibbs won’t be going there.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »