Thread Rating:
Jan 03: WBA 2018/19 Transfer Window
Still do not know why clubs mess about with these Prima Donna's!!

Tell them what the average energy company or mobile phone provider would tell you if you handed in a transfer request, "sorry you still have 2 years to run on your contract and you will see it out" (short of if you pay us a lot of money to get out of it". Then if players do not perform to the best of their ability, only pay them for the work the do, just like you would if you hired a painter and decorator or a builder to do work on the house. Its time clubs treated contracts as they are treated in the rest of society, or it is just us mere mortals who have to adhere to them.

So just who is our number 2 keeper now then?
drewks likes this post
Salop, our backup keeper is Mavis from the brummie road end tea bar ....
(06-07-2018, 18:08)4evaabaggie Wrote: Salop, our backup keeper is Mavis from the brummie road end tea bar ....

I believe she has also put in a transfer request ... to a Prem team.
WBA World Cup P/League WINNER 2018. WBA League Cup Winner 2021.
WBA Prediction Legue WINNER 2020/21 Play off winner 23
HUDDERSFIELD FC Prediction League WINNER 2021/22/RU 23

Best author award Mystery Novels 2021 Thumb up
Alex Palmer will probably be our number 2 until another signing is made.
My opinion, but considering how the game is these days, Foster has been one of our most loyal servants and it's unfair to throw abuse at him. Yes, he said he'd stay, but it was also no secret that he wanted to continue playing regularly, which was not what the club wanted which was clear when we released Myhill.

There WOULD have been a conversation that was the turning point for him, which involved him not playing as regularly or dropping down to 2nd choice in favour of a younger keeper.

He's always been professional. He's always given 110%.
While I am sad to see him go, I will remember him fondly and wish him all the best for his time at Watford.
drewks, BaggieSteve, talkSAFT And 1 others like this post

Ben (Fozzie) one of our hero's has decided to move to Watford. I'm sure he has his reasons.
A nice pay increase and a 2/3 year deal and we get a few million for a 35 year old. Everyone's a winner.
Thanks for the memories, some world class saves along the way, one of our top players never mind just a keeper.
He has been and always will be one of our hero's. THANKS AGAIN BIG BEN.
talkSAFT and BaggieSteve like this post
(06-07-2018, 22:43)Phil Penn Wrote: Ben (Fozzie) one of our hero's has decided to move to Watford. I'm sure he has his reasons.
A nice pay increase and a 2/3 year deal and we get a few million for a 35 year old. Everyone's a winner.
Thanks for the memories, some world class saves along the way, one of our top players never mind just a keeper.
He has been and always will be one of our hero's. THANKS AGAIN BIG BEN.

Agreed Phil, I've always appreciated Ben as our goalkeeper, so there must have been issues, personal or with the club. Besides what's wrong in making sure he had a nest egg for when he retires?
WBA World Cup P/League WINNER 2018. WBA League Cup Winner 2021.
WBA Prediction Legue WINNER 2020/21 Play off winner 23
HUDDERSFIELD FC Prediction League WINNER 2021/22/RU 23

Best author award Mystery Novels 2021 Thumb up
To be fair to Foster, he did have a couple of years at Watford earlier in his career too, so he might have a bit of an emotional connection to them, and he's reaching the part of his career where he needs to set himself up as best as he can for retirement, and staying in the premier league is probably the best way to do that. I'm not gonna hate a player who's been one of the best at the club the entire time he's been here, and never downed tools last season unlike most. Wish him all the best at Watford.
I think Fozzy has been one of the clubs most solid players over his time and would hope he finishes his career well, but I don't buy this last pay packet nonsense for Fozzy or anyone else. Fozzy over the past 7 years will have taken over £10 million in wages, so I don't think his family will have to worry to much about finding the electric money from down the back of the sofa.

I too would have been wishing Fozzy all the best if he had said nothing then just moved on to Watford, in fact I would be saying that he was one of the few who deserved to keep their Premiership status. However I do struggle to reconcile his move to Watford with his comments just a couple of weeks ago;

“I’m very settled and I’m sure there are quite a few others who would love to stay and help us get back to the Premier League.”
“If the worst comes to the worst and we end up in the Championship next season we’ve got to bounce back up, it’s as simple as that,” said Foster.
“I’d like to keep a core of the players that really want to dig in and work hard and be in a tough fight to get out of the Championship because it is a tough fight as well.
“It’s a really different league to the Premier League and we need to go about it to get back first time - we need to really bounce back strongly and get back to where we should be.”

The only mitigation for Fozzy and I am sort of hoping we find out that he was told that he would not be No. 1 next season, though at present Foster is still a better keeper than Johnstone.

In my old profession trust and reputation were everything and as it used to be said, a reputation takes years to build, but only minutes to lose.
talkSAFT likes this post
I wonder if Foster was told that Myhill was going to be released with a new young goalkeeper to be brought in to battle Foster for the number 1 shirt and Foster hasn’t got the fight in himself to do that considering his age and injury history. If you consider that if he was to lose the battle, he would be a number 2 in the Championship and that would really damage his chances of ever being a number 1 in the Prem again.

Of course I could be wrong and he might have been forced out because of his wages as a possible number 2 in the Championship. If so then it’s a shame considering his work for this club in the past 7 years.

Personally I think it’s closer to the first one considering his refusal to go to Portugal.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »