Thread Rating:
Champions League play-off 1st leg - Celtic v Astana
still on cloud nine after the result

woo hoo
Second leg a bit closer than the first leg and now with 2 quick 2nd half goals, could Astana make a game of this?? Unlikely but could be a nervy second half if they score again quickly!!
Crazy old game that one! Both teams could have scored half a dozen each! Celtic well on top first half,then had a very ropey 25 mins.

Winning a qualifier by 4 over 2 legs is decent going. As I said after the first game the distances/timezone adjustment always meant the away team was going to toil for a bit in both ties.
Astana certainly made it interesting until the final few minutes!! That away goal was starting to look priceless when they were 4-1 down with 20 mins left!!!
4-3 and Celtic's unbeaten record finally comes to an end in a second half where the Hoops' defence was 'dodging bullets' left, right n centre. This match could well have ended up 'on a knife edge' if the runes strongly favoured Astana on the night! However, job done and Rodgers reasonably happy although won't be enamoured with the loss of four avoidable goals.
easy mate
if we had went away first and lost 4-3 away
then came home and won 5-0
we would hail it as a fantastic win

Celtic dominated large spells of Tuesdays game, a 15 min spell in the second half were we went, but we recovered well

my predictions for the group
Real Madrid
Paris Saint-Germain
Tottenham Hotspur
Celtic

A group I would want
AS Monaco
FC Porto
Anderlecht
Celtic

But we will be happy just to take the 40 million and run
You really don't want Group H!!!!!!

Groups E, F and G would give you a chance!!

Group B - could have been worse, but not much worse!!! Bayern, PSG and Anderlecht are the opponents!!! Third place has to be a possibility, top 2 will be very difficult!!
Group B it is and I can't see Celtic 'getting much change' out of this group. They may sneak a Europa League place from Anderlecht but that will likely be down to any away performance of note. In comparison, I notice Man Utd.have come out of this draw reasonably well in Group A alongside Benfica, FC Basel and CSKA Moscow
Spurs got well and truly screwed though!!!
That famous description, 'The Group of Death', comes to mind + Spurs dross form at Wemberley deem them 'no hopers'!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »