Thread Rating:
Champions League play-off 1st leg - Celtic v Astana
Celtic finally get to the play-off tie that will decide who enters the group stages of the Champs League. Astana looking for revenge after last season's defeat and Celtic hoping for a repeat victory and then onwards to CL group activities and the possibility of some very attractive Euro confrontations.
not happy
We have one fit striker (hopefully)
One fit centre half

have been saying all summer that 2 striker is not enough for any club
Boyata got injured 6 weeks ago and was out for 3 months
That left us with 2 fit centre half's at that stage we should have got a replacement. And then Sviatchenko gets done and we have just 1, with a bad record of injury's.

Brendan and the board have made an arse of this instead if singing 3 midfielders 1 striker and a centre half would have been more useful at this stage.

all the fuss over paddy Roberts is a distraction, a striker and a centre half is needed now and not for the season.

don't know who is at fault, the board or Brendan but get it fecking fixed.
I reckon the issue lies with the board and Brendan Rodgers just remaining 'reticent' and 'diplomatic' when it comes to conversing on the subject with the press/media. There is an element of ill luck re the timing of said injuries but it does indeed expose the limitations on centre positions. More 'flexible players' would've been a 'godsend' for Rodgers at this current time.
CELTIC 5 ASTANA 0 AND THE HOOPS 'ON EASY STREET' in a match that many people expected to be a 'close run affair'. Some lucky breaks for Celtic with 2 x OGs but too good for Astana to deal with. Job done!!!
Great result for the lesser greens.

I thought astana actually played well first half and should have had their away goal.....but celtic were really clinical the night and put the kazakh side to the sword as they tired in the 2nd half. A wee reminder that the distances and timezones involved in this tie make it very difficult for the away side.

The boy n'tcham looks a very good footballer and has slotted into their midfield easily.

Also noted that after that wee rocky patch last season where sparky was frustrated at no getting played,he looks to have upped his all round game even more. His control and hold up play were really good the night.

celtic all but in the group stages now. Rodgers has proven to be a major upgrade on ronny deila in just about every way.
Great win for Celtic, should put the tie to bed!! Jim, you mention how Rodgers is doing so wel, bit of a double edged sword to that one though. If he continues to impress then as the PL season starts how long will it be before a team ditches their current manager and comes calling part way through the season?? Will be interesting to see what Celtic's response will be at that point. I would think he will stay at least through the group stages (assuming they do make it) but the Xmas period could be interesting with regards to Rodgers future.
(16-08-2017, 23:38)St Charles Owl Wrote: Great win for Celtic, should put the tie to bed!!  Jim, you mention how Rodgers is doing so wel, bit of a double edged sword to that one though.  If he continues to impress then as the PL season starts how long will it be before a team ditches their current manager and comes calling part way through the season??  Will be interesting to see what Celtic's response will be at that point.  I would think he will stay at least through the group stages (assuming they do make it) but the Xmas period could be interesting with regards to Rodgers future.

This is true. What kind of club though ? Remember he's already managed liverpool, So I think it would have to be one of the really big jobs,he's already pretty much said he isn't going to be leaving celtic for the likes of stoke or burnley.

Moving from a 'rolling 1 year contract' to a proper 4 year deal like he did last season suggests that he is happy where he is and maybe more importantly - happy to let anyone who does want him have to meet his current employers terms first.
Yes, that's the key part, which club comes knocking. He didn't leave Liverpool with a great reputation so I can't see any of the top 6 coming for him but I could see say a Newcastle or West Ham doing so and the money they can offer in both wages and transfer budget might be enough to entice him. But yes it will be all about timing and who comes knocking.
hmmm.

Klopps had 100 games to sort out Liverpool and his record is isn't better than Rodgers. Is his reputation really that bad? If he gets celtic achieving in the group stages his stock will rocket.

Bear in mind celtic have gone all in and are paying rodgers what he would get from the clubs you mention anyway.
I think the feeling with Liverpool fans was that Rodgers underachieved with a squad that should have been winning things. The Suarez couple of seasons were particularly painful to Liverpool fans after they gave away the title at the death!! And while Liverpool are certainly not the force they used to be, Rodgers was the first Liverpool manager in 50 years not to win a trophy of any kind in his first three seasons. Maybe the perception is harsh but he is remembered more than anything for losing the title from a winning position in 2013/14.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »