Thread Rating:
Chelsea Manning reprieved - Obama right or wrong?
I admire your optimism! We'll eventually see how it evolves and if it is indeed for the better and 'fine' as you describe. I'm assuming 'fine' means stability in a country that needs that but also requires huge reforms to tackle some of the most negative aspects of American life incl human rights, policing, gun culture, inherent racism, use of natural resources and lots more!
One searching question I'd like to ask is, 'Do you think certain US states like California will marginalise themselves from Trump's governance anyway. The impression I perceive is that their politics are not conducive with Trump or those of his Republican affiliates. The same could prob apply to his 'home town', New York City, where I don't think he'd be given a ticker tape parade any time soon lol and there seems to be a huge dislike for DT for various historical reasons.
There has been some talk of California trying to go it alone and leave the Union but I truly can't see that happening. It is probably the only state that could do it and survive as it has a bit of everything - agriculture, tourism, manufacturing, technology etc but as i say I can't see it happening. New York does not have the resources to go it alone, it has the population and the financial markets but they would have to move if it left the Union anyway and it simply doesn't have the independent money flowing in and out of the state like CA does.

Its also one of those oxymoron with regards to his Presidency. Traditional Republicans will always tell you that they hate Big Government and fight fiercely for much of the law making and decisions to be made at state level and not in Washington. This is why there are states with gun laws very different to others, or some states having a motorbike helmet law and others not, or some with abortion laws that do not stop them taking place but do restrict it etc etc. But you have to think that Trump of all Presidents will never want anyone but himself to have that absolute power, but if he pushes laws and changes down the throats of states that do not want them then he will get mired in legal challenges and will fly in the face of the Republican power base, that would be interesting to see!!!
I'm not sure that a vastly rich man inciting an army of the impoverished is going to be as readily disarmed as most challenges to advanced capitalist societies. Usually, like alternative comedians, they quickly become part of the establishment and take up golf.

A strange-looking man, very different from his followers, mocked in many quarters, coming to power fairly legitimately, views drawn form far right and even far left, an odd form of oratory to which crowds still seem to react, unflinchingly nationalistic ........ how many parallels do we need before we worry? Those hands seem to be itching to form some new kinda salute.
0762 likes this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »