Thread Rating:
31 Aug, 2021 Transfer Window: Championship Rebuild
(05-08-2020, 14:36)drewks Wrote:
(05-08-2020, 14:20)wba13 Wrote: From Percy.
West Bromwich Albion will listen to offers for former England defender Kieran Gibbs, £15 million signing Oliver Burke and Kenneth Zohore as they prepare for the Premier League.

Slaven Bilic is keen to trim his bloated squad following promotion from the Championship and will move to offload a number of fringe players, with Sam Field and Jonathan Leko also to be made available.

Gibbs, the former Arsenal left-back, will see his wages doubled to £55,000 a week following promotion and only made 15 appearances last season.

West Brom are set to move for Wigan defender Antonee Robinson, 22, so Gibbs is free to leave the Hawthorns this summer for a minimal fee.

Burke, the big-money signing from Red Bull Leipzig, and Zohore will also be cleared to go as Albion move to lower their wage bill and make space for their 25-man squad.

Meanwhile, West Brom are set to tie up the £8.25 million signing of Matheus Pereira later this month.

Pereira will officially complete a permanent move to the Championship runners-up when he signs the paperwork on his return from holiday.

The Brazilian winger triggered a clause to make his move permanent when he passed 30 appearances for the club in June.

Signed on loan from Sporting Lisbon in August, Pereira was one of the Championship’s stand-out players under Slaven Bilic.

West Brom are also poised to start talks with Benfica over another loan deal for Croatian midfielder Filip Krovinovic.

.... all makes sense..... apart from reading about Gibbs! Obviously hindsight, etc etc., but I can't help feeling we're going to be stuck with him --who's going to pay those sort of wages to someone who's only going to play 10 - 15 games a season? Great player though he is still, when fit. What chances of the hamstring being completely OK with a good rest till, say, October?

No mention of Austin & HRK so presumably they'll be staying. Maybe they're both actually more suited to the PL, Austin particularly?
I would like to see all our 3 forwards go, none up to standard and defences will have dealt with them all before. This Croatia  and beksistas links keep coming and think is where the new forward will come from. Plus we probably won’t be able to get rid of all 3, but hopefully 2. So we need another, I would like a punt on Rhian Brewster from Liverpool on loan, he looked good for Swansea, gets in the right positions. I think we will have to box clever as a club and will spend around 30 million net and that includes pereira. It’s going to be a long season, without Jenkins, so I think we have to go for youngish future value players with potential. If that means relegation and have a stronger championship side next time I would take it, as I can’t see Lai putting his hand in his pocket. 

Sorry if that is negative, but I think it’s realistic.

Lot of content above, please give me your opinions (and not on whether snickers should go back to marathon).
HarrogateB, I agree re the resources & recruitment; we're going to have to box clever à la Dan Ashworth era. I'm very hopeful that the simple fact that SB is with us will be a massive plus - that players will WANT to play for us again!
I also think he's got great knowledge of the game/players in Eastern Europe (strangely), and this may be an area that we can recruit future Mulumbus, Dorrans's, etc. from at minimal cost but with great potential
Jack Clarke loan from Spurs?
Nothing surprising in the For Sale box, but with Austin's salary rising to £100k now we're PL I can't see why he is not available as well. Field I would have kept IMO he's every bit as good as Harper and has a lot more heart then most.
wba1978 likes this post
2020 the year the bubble burst  Doh
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/f...m-18710109
That Adem Ljajic link is very tasty. I think he'd fit in nicely with Pereira and Grosicki.

I'm not sure if he'd fit in the Premier League though because he can be lazy and look like he's not trying. That's stopped him from reaching the heights that he should have reached when he was younger.
Well true to form all the players we are ‘linked’ with are now linked to other clubs with a reputation to spend bigger than West Brom.

We need to change the habit of a lifetime and get off the fence and spend early!
I don't think we have any cash to spend tbh.
Bilic will have 1000+ players to chose from, we certainly don't need to throwing £20m on players.
And I don't believe we have any more then £20m total to spend anyway.
I don't see anyone rushing to buy ours, it's just agents and media rubbish about us buying anyone.
Eze, Watkins actually anybody over £10m forget them.
I would be extremely happy if we played our youngsters. If your good enough your old enough IMO.
I ask anyone to explain where our transfer budget is coming from?
Yes we have £100m from the PL played in £25m instalments throughout the season. We need £70m to cover
the clubs running costs. So I see us with a total budget of £20m now and £10m in Jan. That's it.
I would welcome other peoples thoughts??
harrogatebaggie likes this post
2020 the year the bubble burst  Doh
My instant thoughts (bit early in the morning!) are that we're exactly the same as (say) 10 other Prem Clubs.
Us also-rans (+ 90% of Europe) are probably owned by Businessmen whose finances have been crippled this Year to the extent that they're watching every penny, and trying "The Jeremy Peace Plan", which is admirable.
With a bit of luck, Football will now take a good look at itself; and the ridiculous salaries paid to (mainly) ungrateful players will be a thing of the past, and the Transfer Market will become sensible, except for the Top 10. If Transfer fees don't - at least - half from now on, because of Clubs becoming prudent and fearful of going bust.........I despair!
Start every day off with a smile and get it over with
In an ever hopeful and positive way. I am hoping that there will be some compelling reasons to come to West Brom, because of the reputation and example of our manager.

The team has played well and has been an attractive and attacking style. Loan players and young new talent has thrived at West Brom in the last season and want to stay and come back.

This must be a positive thing to a young player looking at his options.

It’s much more than we have had to sell in many years and so maybe, just maybe, we can get a few priming talents and not just feed off the scraps.
harrogatebaggie, talkSAFT, drewks like this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »