Thread Rating:
Not The Town O'Clock News
The FA will always be a backwards organisation because the people who make it up are old, white, pale, stale and male to coign a phrase. Dyke tried to reform it but like he said it would be like Turkeys voting for Christmas so naturally they rejected his proposals. In the FA's world the Norfolk County FA leader has as much power as a chairman of an actual club. FA leadership will never stand up to the premier league & Sky and the cycle continues until English football is dead. Mirroring what the French rugby clubs are doing to the French rugby team.
Lots of strong words here, but I really don't agree with much of it.
It's nowt to do with the FA. How can the English FA develop a player from the age of 13/14/15 if he's at, say Chelsea. They can't. They have nowt to do with his progression as a player. It's all down to his club.
It's only when he's in form and old enough that he gets picked for England. And it's only then that he works with the FA.
I agree that the FA do not pick the right manager at the right time. Allardyce? McClaren? Ignoring Clough? Venebals leaving when he did? etc etc.
But lets not be under any illusion that the lack of quality or talent in our players has anything to do with the FA.
It's the clubs and the Premier League that are at fault for that.
In beer there is freedom, in wine there is health, in cognac there is power and in water there is bacteria
Trouble with Dyke was his reforms were totally bollocks.
Shep it has a lot to do with the fa. They pick players on reputation rather than form in the large part, Antonio was probably the last 'outsider' to be picked.

The fa dont have to develop the player directly (although there would be ways of helping) but they do have a responsibility for developing the english game and they dont seem to be able to do it. They let the premier league dictate terms.

But they need to get the manager right, they cant afford to go for the dull boring manager who wont make changes and will do everything the fa tell him. Like i said we need someone more radical or at least someone braver and bolder. We cant keep going for the old guard who do the same thing each time expecting different results
The trouble is the FA lost all the power in the English game the year the Premier League was formed
jj......I still don't agree. The FA have never picked a player before, either on reputation or form.
The manager does that, and I'm certain any England manager past or present would never allow a board to pick his team for him.
It's never going to happen.
I do agree that the FA are shocking at picking managers.
And they have very limited power as Wakey said. Their hands are tied in many ways.
I actually think they are doing a decent job overall. Wembley cost a fortune but it is one of the best stadia in the world. The facility at St Georges' Park will pay dividends in a few years. To get the U12/15/18/20 etc all potentially training alongside the full international team is a great idea. Get them involved in the set up early can only be beneficial for the player.

I keep saying it....the real blame lies with the Premier League and the clubs. Stop buying foreign players who are not much more than average. Start developing English talent.
In beer there is freedom, in wine there is health, in cognac there is power and in water there is bacteria
(10-10-2016, 17:05)SHEP_HTAFC Wrote: jj......I still don't agree. The FA have never picked a player before, either on reputation or form.
The manager does that, and I'm certain any England manager past or present would never allow a board to pick his team for him.
It's never going to happen.
I do agree that the FA are shocking at picking managers.
And they have very limited power as Wakey said. Their hands are tied in many ways.
I actually think they are doing a decent job overall. Wembley cost a fortune but it is one of the best stadia in the world. The facility at St Georges' Park will pay dividends in a few years. To get the U12/15/18/20 etc all potentially training alongside the full international team is a great idea. Get them involved in the set up early can only be beneficial for the player.

I keep saying it....the real blame lies with the Premier League and the clubs. Stop buying foreign players who are not much more than average. Start developing English talent.l

Yes, trouble is everybody is buying second/third/fourth rate Foriegn players these days. You only have to look at Town this season to see that
The FA have a helluva lot to do with it SHEP. Who hands out all the coaching badges and has been responsible for bringing through an underwhelming number of good coaches at all levels for years compared to other countries in Europe? Who is mainly resposible for kids and local league teams playing on pitches that are either sat up and down a hillside or built on flood planes and swamps? If you start with a sows ear at the bottom you ain't gonna to get a silk purse at the top.
A guide to cask ale.

[Image: aO7W3pZ.png]

Multi-tasking. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.
Tbf shep yeah the fa pick the managers and yeah i guess the manager picks the squad in general, but the managers they pick never have the guts to pick an in form player in place of a well known name. Thats my opinion. Drinkwater, noble for example didnt go to the euros but wilshire did, not because of ability and not because of form because wilshire had none. But they missed out because they played at unfashionable clubs.

The fa pick managers who are always cap in hand to the big boys, never someone who will upset some managers and some bigger players who probably feel they will never miss out on selection.

I agree with theo some of the pitches i grew up on were horrendous. 50 years ago it was probably okay as pros were playing and training on the same standard pitches. Now juniors play on any patch that is cheapest because they have to be self funded because the system doesnt help them.

Again theo with the coaching badges, the fa charge a lot more than other nations for the badges. And that really does harm our production of coaches as some of the better footballing brains will miss out. Now thats something the fa can help with.

The premier league are to blame for a lot of the player developmen or lack off and the income of foreign players, but for me the fa are equally to blame for allowing it to happen. Why they havent tried to change it ect is open to discussion
the problem with the coaching badges is they cost a fortune in the UK compared to germany or spain, thats why they have far more Uefa qualified coaches than we do , which means youth teams outside of professional clubs are getting high standard of training

http://www.espnfc.us/story/1572894/mark-...f-coaching

"The basic FA Level 1 course is £150, while Level 2 rises to £340. Then comes a steep increase. The standard cost of a UEFA "B" License -- a prerequisite to work at a professional club's academy -- is £990, and it can cost as much as £2,450. In Germany, the cost is €430; in Spain it is €1,100. For the UEFA "A" License, an English coach could pay a maximum of £5,820 -- but in Germany it is €530 and in Spain €1,200. Being a member of the FA's Licensed Coaches' Club (free to join for anyone with a basic Level 1 qualification) brings the cost down by 25 percent but the prices are significantly higher than on the continent and unquestionably difficult for the average person to afford, unless sponsored by a club."
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »