Thread Rating:
31 Aug, 2021 Transfer Window: Championship Rebuild
(29-01-2021, 16:17)WBA-Josh Wrote: From what I've researched about Maitland-Niles, his primary positions as a youth player were centre midfield and right midfield. When he was promoted to the first team under Wenger he was used all over the pitch at right back, left back, right wing-back, left wing-back and centre midfield. When Emery went to Arsenal, Maitland-Niles played a lot more and was either at right back or as a right wing-back so those two positions seems to have stuck as his primary positions under Arteta.

Anyway, Southampton are also reported to be interested in him so my hope that he'll sign has been hit.

I can't see him coming to us, because if his intention is to play for England in the Euros he's going to want to go to a side with more clout.

The only thing in our favour is that if he comes here, he's more or less guaranteed to start in place of Furlong. And on the off chance we were able to perform some miracle escape, that then could get him attention.

If he goes to Southampton it might be touch and go if he gets in the side. But certainly I can see why they would appeal more for footballing reasons.
(29-01-2021, 18:05)Slick_Footwork Wrote:
(29-01-2021, 16:17)WBA-Josh Wrote: From what I've researched about Maitland-Niles, his primary positions as a youth player were centre midfield and right midfield. When he was promoted to the first team under Wenger he was used all over the pitch at right back, left back, right wing-back, left wing-back and centre midfield. When Emery went to Arsenal, Maitland-Niles played a lot more and was either at right back or as a right wing-back so those two positions seems to have stuck as his primary positions under Arteta.

Anyway, Southampton are also reported to be interested in him so my hope that he'll sign has been hit.

I can't see him coming to us, because if his intention is to play for England in the Euros he's going to want to go to a side with more clout.

The only thing in our favour is that if he comes here, he's more or less guaranteed to start in place of Furlong. And on the off chance we were able to perform some miracle escape, that then could get him attention.

If he goes to Southampton it might be touch and go if he gets in the side. But certainly I can see why they would appeal more for footballing reasons.

Apparently Slick according to SSN he would possibly prefer a move to us over the Saints as he will get more game time and play in his preferred position. He’s trying to stay in the mind of Gareth Southgate and more game time will see him promote himself far better than a bit part at Southampton.

First and foremost I do Hope this is right and secondly Arsenal have to agree to loaning him out. Could be coming our way. Fingers crossed.
BLACK COUNTRY BY BIRTH, ALBION BY THE GRACE OF GOD AND MY OLD MAN

You go in the cage? cage goes in the water, sharks in the water....Our Shark Cry

Ultrinque Paratus
Also, from WestBromnews:

Kevin Phillips is excited by reports that ex-Leicester striker Ahmed Musa has arrived at the West Brom training ground ahead of potentially signing a deal at The Hawthorns.
Diagne signed. Loan until end of season, as expected.

Let's hope we have a few more to soon follow!
Worldclassalbion likes this post
I look forward to seeing how he does. It is going to be a big leap up for him coming from playing in Turkey and Belgium but there seems to be some potential there even at the age of 29 and his goal scoring record (51 in 64 in Turkey) is very impressive even at the lower standard.

He is also 6 ft 2 so should bring a real presence up front for a change.
I am not sure that goal to game ratios actually means that much. unless your team plays the same style in the same league as the players previous club. IMO this is where we fall over every time we look at a striker, we always seem to go for strikers whose playing style rarely fits our playing style. They get labelled as rubbish and eventually get moved on, when they move on and start scoring it is, "why could they not do that for us?" Because they fit the playing style of their new team. At its most basic it is no use having a striker who has scores 40 in 20 games if the majority was with his head and your team plays on the ground.

That said I have absolutely no idea what our playing style is at present and there has never been a striker born who could score regularly from his teams own half!
BaggieSteve and Baggiebob(BBB) like this post
West Bromwich Albion have signed Galatasaray striker Mbaye Diagne on loan until the end of the season.

The Senegal international, 29, has scored 11 goals in 19 games in all competition for the Turkish side this campaign.

I'm hoping his signing with potential others + Grant returning will show a more attacking style to our game to make up for those conceded if we don't get the backs we desperately need.
WBA World Cup P/League WINNER 2018. WBA League Cup Winner 2021.
WBA Prediction Legue WINNER 2020/21 Play off winner 23
HUDDERSFIELD FC Prediction League WINNER 2021/22/RU 23

Best author award Mystery Novels 2021 Thumb up
Benteke rumoured to be on way by Nixon of the sun. So if true we will have lots of strikers and no one who can defend.
Yes. Strikers strikers everywhere but no defenders in sight!!!!

It means instead of losing 4-0 we will
Now lose 4-3
Do we really need Benteke now we’ve signed Diagne. I’d have thought someone less physically imposing but who could feed off the big man’s presence.....Grant, maybe? As others have said, with our defensive record, it would be good to see us us bring in a strong central defender
The light at the end of the tunnel is the light of an oncoming train
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »