Thread Rating:
31 Aug, 2021 Transfer Window: Championship Rebuild
(29-09-2020, 12:38)WBA-Josh Wrote:
(29-09-2020, 11:21)wba13 Wrote: He’s back
https://twitter.com/WBA/status/1310866888608677890?s=20

The best bromance that the World has ever seen is back at the Albion.

Welcome back Krovinović.

Love this, there’s clearly a good spirit in the camp, totally different to the Pulis days.
I think Grant is the striker Bilic wants, seems to have been talking about this since the window opened. Deeney would have been easier to do as Watford are wiling to let him out on loan. But I think we are leaving our other domestic loan for another player, possibly a full back. Compared to Watson Grant scored 19 goals in a struggling team has scored 4 in 13 appearances in the premier in a struggling team. Must admit of the two Grant seems the right fit for our wingers and Pereira.
Bilic's record on buying strikers is crap - Austin and Zahore have been a waste of £10 million +
Austin by way of his goals and our win against Blues helped our promotion, tbf he has repaid some of his fee.
No way should he be investing large sums on another striker - Bilic needs to unearth a hidden gem for us.
I already posted a list of strikers on Free's all proven at top level, where IMO Grant is a massive gamble.
I agree we need a striker if nothing else it stops teams pushing us back. This takes pressure off the midfield and defence.
Personally I would try and get Olivier Giroud from Chelsea.
£100K a week for Giroud sounds expensive, but Grant wages would be about the same, but we would save the £18m transfer fee.
2020 the year the bubble burst  Doh
I've said it before, but what confuses me about the Grant link is that he was playing wide left when I saw him last season.

I get it, he's young, great goal return for a struggling side...

But he scored those goals from wide left. We've already spent big on Grady, who plays wide left. We can't play 2 players in this role can we?

And if we're talking about Grant up top, which seems to be the general conscientious, it seems risky given this big goal scoring season came from wide left. There's a video of all of his last season goals on Youtube and of the 13 he scored from open play, about 8 or 9 came from left midfield with him dribbling at players and shooting. Only 3 or 4 came from a typical centre forward position, i.e. getting in behind or on the end of a cross.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel we have enough winger come forward types. Robbo has started the season well, he's already in that mould...

For me we need an out and out number 9. Give the opposition something different to think about. Plan A/Plan B type thing.

Not commenting on his quality as I've not seen enough of him. Hopefully he's brilliant if we do get him and he can easily play up top. But it really seems bizarre if we make 2 big signings in the summer and they both play the same position. Especially as our squad is already massively unbalanced with excess of attacking midfielders and wingers.
Looking at Grant's positional record, it reads as a striker in all but 5 of his Premier League matches and last season 18 as a striker and 26 as a left winger with 8 goals as striker and 11 as a winger.

I'd prefer we don't spent £18 million on Grant when we can spend less than that on Diallo of Metz, an actual proper number 9.
Being linked with Slimani again....we need a striker but do not think he is the right one.
I do wonder if the plan is to get rid of 2 strikers and bring 2 in. Based on the fact we continue to be linked with Grant + others.

Slimani's record was good for Monaco last season. 9 goals and 7 assists in 18 games (14 starts)

I actually like the idea of him, he's a proper number 9 who is good in the air, good in behind. Something different.

The only question mark is why didn't Monaco sign him? And will he be fit? Given the French League ended early and he appears to be from out at Leicester. If he was fit, I'd personally prefer him to Grant.
My word how opinions differ , the only way I would bring in Deeney, Giroud or Silarmi is if we are bringing in 2 strikers and both of these are short term options. Grant is young and hungry and with Robinson who is also young and hungry we could have decent competition. Kanu will stay as our Hold up player if we are winning with 20 mins to go. We have bought in Ivanovic to add experience to Livermore, Kanu and Bartley. As we are bringing the age fo the Squad down I believe it will just be Grant and a Right back on Loan. With Austin, Grosiki, Hegazi sold and Zohore Harper and Soule going out on loan.
Do not rate Slimani and I do not believe Grant will happen due to Huddersfield digging their heels in regarding payment. I would prefer Niang to come rather than Slimani although there may be off the field issues which could put people off.

Now hearing we are interested in Tom Ince.......hope there is no truth in this but it is more likley to happen than us get a decent striker in the next week!
Ross Barkley to the Seals on loan, IMO is a fantastic piece of business for them.
While we ponder and debate over Grant even the Seals are securing proven PL players.
We need to raise our sights and stop looking at the bottom of the barrel.
2020 the year the bubble burst  Doh
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »