Thread Rating:
31 Aug, 2021 Transfer Window: Championship Rebuild
I’m not convinced by Charlie Austin. He was very good a couple of seasons ago but his injury problems makes Anichebe look good. He won’t have the to play every match because he’ll rotate with Zohore in and out of the team but are we really going to be able to get 30 appearances out of him?

He played 25 times last season and 24 the season before that.

(08-08-2019, 10:10)Beefy 1965 Wrote: Name being banded about in Twitter is Chris Wilock ???
Never heard of him apparently a English u20 forward at Benfica ??!

He was linked earlier in the summer. He’s a right winger so I imagine he’s a back-up option if Diangana or Pereira don’t sign.
As someone who lives in Scotland and so sees a lot of domestic football up here, I’d say that Morelos is a very good striker. However, as has been pointed out already, he has a huge disciplinary issue and, in all likelihood, would only be available for 75% of the season and banned for the rest. Charlie Austin fills me with less enthusiasm and I would have preferred Scott Hogan to him. The fact that we’re being linked with Austin, Nacki Wells and Frazier Campbell tells us how far we have fallen over the last two years. I also see that Ajeti has signed for West Ham so another possibility disappears. Saido’s a free agent now Whistle
(08-08-2019, 10:25)WBA-Josh Wrote: I’m not convinced by Charlie Austin. He was very good a couple of seasons ago but his injury problems makes Anichebe look good. He won’t have the to play every match because he’ll rotate with Zohore in and out of the team but are we really going to be able to get 30 appearances out of him?

He played 25 times last season and 24 the season before that.

(08-08-2019, 10:10)Beefy 1965 Wrote: Name being banded about in Twitter is Chris Wilock ???
Never heard of him apparently a English u20 forward at Benfica ??!

He was linked earlier in the summer. He’s a right winger so I imagine he’s a back-up option if Diangana or Pereira don’t sign.

Yeah Austin has a terrible injury record and I'm fairly certain he's been overweight a fair bit of the time that he has been 'fit' in the last couple of years, if it worked out and we get him at his best, he'd score enough to win us promotion, but in all likelihood he wouldn't work out well for us.
(08-08-2019, 10:28)BaggieSteve Wrote: As someone who lives in Scotland and so sees a lot of domestic football up here, I’d say that Morelos is a very good striker. However, as has been pointed out already, he has a huge disciplinary issue and, in all likelihood, would only be available for 75% of the season and banned for the rest. Charlie Austin fills me with less enthusiasm and I would have preferred Scott Hogan to him. The fact that we’re being linked with Austin, Nacki Wells and Frazier Campbell tells us how far we have fallen over the last two years. I also see that Ajeti has signed for West Ham so another possibility disappears. Saido’s a free agent now  Whistle

I agree BaggieSteve. I din't think the fans ( or the club) would want Sado Biryani back-- certaily not me. He's p**ed on his Chips with us. Big Grin
Mattwilson@expressandstar
As per @RichCawleySLP, sounds like Sam Field and Jon Leko are both on their way to Charlton. Not confirmed but most likely on loan #wba
2x Premier League Champ 1x Championship Winner and World cup Winner
Lots happening it seems.

Good to get more experience into the squad but at same tim it’s a shame to see Field and Leko go out in loan.

I am stuck in Berlin and so enjoy the final hours. I will try checking the internet for updates
Sam Field to Charlton Ath now confirmed on their official website. Very good signing for them. Leko also confirmed.

Not sure what to think about Austin.
Yep Field and Leko both done, season long loan https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2019/august/d...s-on-loan/

Bowyer seems like a very good manager so they should both get a lot out of the move.
Good luck to Sam Field with his loan. He is 21 now so needs to be playing regular football otherwise his young career is going to stall even more.

Charlton usually play a 352 or 4312 so he should be able to get into the team and get some consistency to his game.

Same goes with Leko. He’ll probably be used as a striker.

Leko’s departure leaves it very likely that 2 wingers will be signing today.
(08-08-2019, 11:33)betterthanbaird Wrote: Yep Field and Leko both done, season long loan https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2019/august/d...s-on-loan/

Bowyer seems like a very good manager so they should both get a lot out of the move.

I agree we should gt them out on loan if we are not playing them, but to a rival club Huh Huh
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »