Thread Rating:
31 Aug, 2021 Transfer Window: Championship Rebuild
I'm not feeling so positive as many fans, unfortunately. Like Blue Baggie, I think the current squad is much weaker than what we had last year. I think we need 3 or 4 players without any additional outgoings to be challenging for the playoffs. With what we have I genuinely think we might struggle to make top half. We lack quality and strength in depth.

What we have lost from last season vs replacement. Not including Nyom and Rondon as they didn't feature last year.

Holgate, almost 40 Premier League appearances - Furlong, bit part for QPR last season and never made the place his own.
Adaraboiyo, bit part for us last season, looked okay - N/A
Dawson, regular in Premier League for several years - Ajayi, 1 full season in the Championship.
Mozza, regular in Premier Leageue for several years - N/A
Barry, regular in the Premier League for several years - N/A
Murphy, £12m signing for Newcaslte, proven in Championship - Krovinovic, bit part for last 2 years since signing for Benfica.
Montero, over 60 international caps - N/A
Rodriguez, regular in Premier League for several years - Zohore, had 1 reasonable season in the Championship. 1 goal in Prem last season.
Gayle, probably the best striker in the Championship, good for 20+ goals - N/A

In addition, Burke returns and might feature, so could be seen as a replacement for Montero or Gayle but let's remember he was here last season and not deemed good enough to make even a match day squad. O'Shea could be promoted to replace Adaraboiyo, but he would jump 2 levels after featuring in League 2 last year.

Ajayi, Krovinovic and Zohore could well prove to be or become better than those they have replaced, but clearly they are more inexperienced as of right now. These guys will need to develop at this level to be the standard of those who they have replaced.

IMO we need 4/5:

1 Right Back - Ideally Holgate.
1 Centre Back / Midfielder - Dependent on what position we will use Ajayi. To be honest I don't remember seeing him play, but from the clips I've seen on Youtube he looked more of a midfielder to me. If O'Shea is not deemed worth of the step up, then we might need to cover both positions even if Ajayi will be used at centre half.
1 Winger - Someone to chip in with goals from midfield. Between them, Barnes and Murphy chipped in with a lot last year.
1 Striker - Someone who knows where the net is and has a proven record.
SomersetBaggie likes this post
(25-07-2019, 14:35)harrogatebaggie Wrote:
(25-07-2019, 09:22)Blue Baggie Wrote: The opposition are stronger this season. IMO we are weaker in all areas. As it stands mid/lower table IMO is a reflection on our current squads capabilities.

I am going for 9th or 10th as it stands. I don't think there are three clubs as strong as the 3 clubs which went up last year, and the one's coming down don't look as though we should be worried about playing them. Probably Fulham being the strongest.

Blue Baggie, you think there are more teams in the league that have a better squad/manager than us. I would be interested where you rank the teams in the championship.

Still to come in:-
I think we will get another rightback/centre back yet.
Looks like we are in poll position for Sawyers, as long as we pay the money. I think we should pay if we want him, can always match it to add ons, performances, promotion in next 2 years, sell on clause!
We really need a good forward, and expect to get him from abroad.
I am expecting them to give Barry a one year contract, but I would prefer 2 younger players from level 1 or 2 aged 20 to 22 who can push the likes of Edwards, Harper, Field, Tulloch, Burke, Leko. (I have put these in an order of what I consider as to their future promise).

With those additions I put us in a play off position again this year.

Can anyone shine any light on what's happening with Morgan Rogers, still a Baggie at present as far as I know, is he having second thoughts re the move to Man City. I DO HOPE SO!

I believe the Rogers deal is done (earlier this month) but he cannot sign until his birthday tomorrow. I think the deal was £4M with add-ons possibly pushing this to £8M.
harrogatebaggie likes this post
Another departure from the Club.. Jamie Smith (U23's) off to become Big Dave's assistant. Good Luck JS. I'm sure you will work well with Big Dave.
1.5 million on security ??

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/foo...hawthorns/
(25-07-2019, 15:08)SomersetBaggie Wrote:
(25-07-2019, 14:35)harrogatebaggie Wrote:
(25-07-2019, 09:22)Blue Baggie Wrote: The opposition are stronger this season. IMO we are weaker in all areas. As it stands mid/lower table IMO is a reflection on our current squads capabilities.

I am going for 9th or 10th as it stands. I don't think there are three clubs as strong as the 3 clubs which went up last year, and the one's coming down don't look as though we should be worried about playing them. Probably Fulham being the strongest.

Blue Baggie, you think there are more teams in the league that have a better squad/manager than us. I would be interested where you rank the teams in the championship.

Still to come in:-
I think we will get another rightback/centre back yet.
Looks like we are in poll position for Sawyers, as long as we pay the money. I think we should pay if we want him, can always match it to add ons, performances, promotion in next 2 years, sell on clause!
We really need a good forward, and expect to get him from abroad.
I am expecting them to give Barry a one year contract, but I would prefer 2 younger players from level 1 or 2 aged 20 to 22 who can push the likes of Edwards, Harper, Field, Tulloch, Burke, Leko. (I have put these in an order of what I consider as to their future promise).

With those additions I put us in a play off position again this year.

Can anyone shine any light on what's happening with Morgan Rogers, still a Baggie at present as far as I know, is he having second thoughts re the move to Man City. I DO HOPE SO!

I believe the Rogers deal is done (earlier this month) but he cannot sign until his birthday tomorrow. I think the deal was £4M with add-ons possibly pushing this to £8M.

I think you answered your own question by predicting 8 teams would finish above us? 
I agree with this, but if we for example signed Gayle & Maupay I would be comfortable with predicting a play off place for our club.
With all due respect Zahore is not going to be scoring goals every other week. He's never been prolific.
Interestingly WBA side are currently valued at £62m - Fulham £164m - Hudds £102m - Cardiff £76m - leeds £80m
NB Cardiff were £83m and us £55m prior to the Zahore transfer. 
To compete with the top teams we need the same level of players as our competition. 
Although the overall values are not an exact science of a clubs finishing place within the EFL - it's a good indication/guide. (Sheff utd being the exception last season)
Fulham and Leeds must be odds on fav's for automatic promotion IMO.  
Just as an aside our best performances last year IMO were with the likes of  Gayle / JRod / Barnes / Holgate / Dawson = That's £50m worth of talent that we don't have now.
2020 the year the bubble burst  Doh
Re your last BB, you mentioned Sheffield Utd as perhaps over achieving (my words!) in relation to their 'value' last season; it would be interesting to see what Norwich were valued at, seeing as they almost cantered in without hardly losing a game after September!
(25-07-2019, 18:40)drewks Wrote: Re your last BB, you mentioned Sheffield Utd as perhaps over achieving (my words!) in relation to their 'value' last season; it would be interesting to see what Norwich were valued at, seeing as they almost cantered in without hardly losing a game after September!

Norwich are showing £77m these are all approximate values found on trasfermarkt
2020 the year the bubble burst  Doh
Romaine Sawyers looks near enough done, we're in danger of having a shockingly competent window here.
(25-07-2019, 17:41)Baggie_One Wrote: 1.5 million on security ??

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/foo...hawthorns/

I thought the throw away bit at the bottom of the article more interesting, that we have/are removing another row of seating in the East to make room for more advertising boards. Its beginning to feel like the club would rather remove all the seats and replace them with advertising space. No one to moan at them then.
Romaine sawyers on way for Friday medical according to sky sports and a London tabloid. 3millon fee agreed.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »