Thread Rating:
Jan 03: WBA 2018/19 Transfer Window
(02-11-2018, 02:41)Beefy 1965 Wrote: Link to 21 year old Aberdeen Centre Back Scott McKenna, valued at £10 million:

https://thisisfutbol.com/2018/10/blogs/w...t-mckenna/

Original article;
https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/aber...tch-scott/

Don't know about him tbh. But £10 mil - it's a pipe dream. We won't be spending that type of money - remember we need lots of new faces, blowing £10m on one player don't make sense unless we sell what we already have.
McKenna is a good player and highly regarded here in Scotland. However I agree with the view that I can’t see us paying £10 million for him in January although I’d rather buy him than Tavernier
Pearce joins on the 1st of November - Cutler leaves on the 2nd ?
With the January window now approaching our thoughts turn to new players. I'm convinced our priority should be 2 captains - I'm not bothered about what position they play but they must have drive and enthusiasm which is infectious on the team. Our team is mentally lost and nobody are up for the challenge of being our leader.
(06-11-2018, 10:17)Phil Penn Wrote: With the January window now approaching our thoughts turn to new players. I'm convinced our priority should be 2 captains - I'm not bothered about what position they play but they must have drive and enthusiasm which is infectious on the team. Our team is mentally lost and nobody are up for the challenge of being our leader.

If BD insists on picking Livermore every week he should get him to play the captain's role. Jake just sits in the middle of the field contributing f* all - get him to mould the team and encourage the players around him.....and make himself useful. He was a top player with Hull (and Spurs previously) - give him the armband, and I think/hope he'll revel in the responsibility.
Blue Baggie likes this post
Start every day off with a smile and get it over with
Good call Thumb up
2x Premier League Champ 1x Championship Winner and World cup Winner
With Brexit approaching or not? What is the view on EU players changing status to "oversea players" and restrictions on numbers allowed. The European Super League may also be "dead" in the water? Well IMO they European's were only after the SKY money anyway?
MattWilsonE&S
#wba are interested in Joe Lolley, but they face an uphill task landing him https://t.co/9SMDoS1D8e
2x Premier League Champ 1x Championship Winner and World cup Winner
It may sound perverse after the goals we have scored this season already but I honestly feel we need to buy strikers in the January window, one if not two. It's pretty clear that we are not great at defending but that was, as I recall, the same under Tony Mowbray. However, we had three strikers in Phillips, Bednar and Miller who scored for fun and which took immense pressure off the defence. Add to that a midfield of Koren, Morrison, Greening etc that also contributed their share of goals and it was no surprise we won the Championship. The current team is not a patch on Mowbray's side. Whilst I accept that we will probably never get another natural goalscorer like Phillips, Gayle is as close as we have, I believe. However, Rodriguez and Robson-Kanu are desperately inconsistent and whilst last night is obviously fresh in the memory, it's not the first time this season we've bemoaned their ability to put away clear cut chances. We just cannot afford to have strikers who keep passing up chances such as those last night; like many others on this board, I fear for us on Friday night if that happens again.
So, whilst the conversations have understandably focused upon bringing in better defenders as well as a dynamic midfielder, I don't think we should overlook the need to improve our forwards as I honestly don't feel either Rodriguez or HRK are good enough. Last night, against a team of extremely limited ambition, we should have won by a shedload. I fear this won't be the last time we'll say that this season.
Perhaps I'm being overly pessimistic and reacting too readily to the disappointment last night but I just feel those two aren't the answer.
(04-12-2018, 12:58)BaggieSteve Wrote: It may sound perverse after the goals we have scored this season already but I honestly feel we need to buy strikers in the January window, one if not two. It's pretty clear that we are not great at defending but that was, as I recall, the same under Tony Mowbray. However, we had three strikers in Phillips, Bednar and Miller who scored for fun and which took immense pressure off the defence. Add to that a midfield of Koren, Morrison, Greening etc that also contributed their share of goals and it was no surprise we won the Championship. The current team is not a patch on Mowbray's side. Whilst I accept that we will probably never get another natural goalscorer like Phillips, Gayle is as close as we have, I believe. However, Rodriguez and Robson-Kanu are desperately inconsistent and whilst last night is obviously fresh in the memory, it's not the first time this season we've bemoaned their ability to put away clear cut chances. We just cannot afford to have strikers who keep passing up chances such as those last night; like many others on this board, I fear for us on Friday night if that happens again.
So, whilst the conversations have understandably focused upon bringing in better defenders as well as a dynamic midfielder, I don't think we should overlook the need to improve our forwards as I honestly don't feel either Rodriguez or HRK are good enough. Last night, against a team of extremely limited ambition, we should have won by a shedload. I fear this won't be the last time we'll say that this season.
Perhaps I'm being overly pessimistic and reacting too readily to the disappointment last night but I just feel those two aren't the answer.

I feel Yakou Meite from Reading could be a great acquisition.
Six goals this season for a poor team, and I think he's only 22 years old.
Though I doubt they would want to sell him... Huh
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »