Thread Rating:
Jan 03: WBA 2018/19 Transfer Window
(27-10-2018, 22:06)Phil Penn Wrote:
(19-10-2018, 18:09)Phil Penn Wrote:
(19-10-2018, 11:19)WBA-Josh Wrote: All I hope is that we broaden our horizons in January now that we have a DoF in place. Having a predominantly British squad is great but we need some more foreign blood in the team to give us something different. We can look into Germany, France, Belgium, Netherlands etc where we can sign talent for less and with better value for money. Jan Gyamerah for right back and Kingsley Schindler to replace Burke would be two of my choices.

I can’t see it happening though.

We are in a good position, but tricky times lie ahead. We're not going to be buying proven quality players as the price will be prohibitive. Our youngsters will be looking for other opportunities as DM simply is not going to give them a chance. Where as our players who have a value will be deciding if a move offers them better prospects then staying. If we stay in the top 2 our value players may well decide it's better to stay? Whatever at the seasons end our older players will be pensioned off. 
But we are playing attacking football and it's working, so its all systems go ATM.  Thumb up

How quickly things can change, we're dropping points AOTS the players in defence are making silly errors, the midfield have forgotten how to play the ball forward, the forwards have forgotten where the goals are. They have all forgotten how to enjoy the game. Points are being given away. The blame jumps from one player to the next each week. I'm looking at Darren and Jones as the culprits, closely followed by Jenkins and Lai. I'm not scared to say it like many others are - Darren is not a manager and needs replacing ASAP - his repeated errors and inability to change and tactical stupidity are the major factors in our demise.
I'm going to have to wait for us to drop down the table before the rest see the light.

... Oooo,  you're so brave,  saying those things
(27-10-2018, 23:10)drewks Wrote:
(19-10-2018, 11:19)WBA-Josh Wrote: All I hope is that we broaden our horizons in January now that we have a DoF in place. Having a predominantly British squad is great but we need some more foreign blood in the team to give us something different. We can look into Germany, France, Belgium, Netherlands etc where we can sign talent for less and with better value for money. Jan Gyamerah for right back and Kingsley Schindler to replace Burke would be two of my choices.

We are in a good position, but tricky times lie ahead. We're not going to be buying proven quality players as the price will be prohibitive. Our youngsters will be looking for other opportunities as DM simply is not going to give them a chance. Where as our players who have a value will be deciding if a move offers them better prospects then staying. If we stay in the top 2 our value players may well decide it's better to stay? Whatever at the seasons end our older players will be pensioned off. 
But we are playing attacking football and it's working, so its all systems go ATM.  Thumb up

How quickly things can change, we're dropping points AOTS the players in defence are making silly errors, the midfield have forgotten how to play the ball forward, the forwards have forgotten where the goals are. They have all forgotten how to enjoy the game. Points are being given away. The blame jumps from one player to the next each week. I'm looking at Darren and Jones as the culprits, closely followed by Jenkins and Lai. I'm not scared to say it like many others are - Darren is not a manager and needs replacing ASAP - his repeated errors and inability to change and tactical stupidity are the major factors in our demise.
I'm going to have to wait for us to drop down the table before the rest see the light.

OK maybe not a good choice of words, but only what lots of others are thinking  Whistle
I still regard Darren as a legend - that's a given. But manager no, given a chance he's shown that he's not up to the task.
(27-10-2018, 23:26)Phil Penn Wrote:
(27-10-2018, 23:10)drewks Wrote:

OK maybe not a good choice of words, but only what lots of others are thinking  Whistle
I still regard Darren as a legend - that's a given. But manager no, given a chance he's shown that he's not up to the task.

Sorry Phil - not REALLY' avin a go at you!
I think we've all still got to remember that BD has still got his L plates on. Personally I'm much more disappointed with Graeme Jones... or his role - BD needs help in this position and it seems to me that he's not getting it. IMO BD has got a massive plus - he's genuine, and players want to play for him. Tactically.... yup.... let's get the other guy stepping up!
talkSAFT likes this post
I don't think after being in the game for 30 years he has any L plates.
The other guy's are hiding. Darren's just far to nice. A bit of honesty by him may go along way.
If Jones is responsible for the 3 at the back set up, Darren should be kicking his arse.
The biggest difference I see over the last few weeks is all the fun and enjoyment within the players appears to have gone?
Along with out policy of we will score more then you attitude?
Unless i'm imagining it.
I think we should also keep in mind that Tony Mowbray had lost 4 by this stage, the year we won the title and got to the semi's of the FA Cup. The previous year, the year Mowbray took over, he managed to get us to the play-offs only to lose in the big game. That summer he brought in 13 or 14 new players with his most expensive signing being Chris Brunt at £3 million.

So not all doom and gloom.............. just yet.
BaggieMan likes this post
Interesting comments on other media sites - who are the 3 defenders who could effectively play out from the back.
Nobody under a value of £20 million was mentioned. The most picked were Kompany - Alderweirld - Vertonghen - Stones - Ramos - Pique
Few oldies Beckenbaur - Moore - Maldini - Beresi - Hansen etc popped up.
Realistically in a nutshell we're never going to brilliant at it.
New head of recruitment appointed today. Let's hope he hits the ground running, getting things lined up for January (and is allowed to).
https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2018/november...cruitment/
Our new recruitment guys are going to help Darren sign up some young hungry players for sensible money.
Let's see how they get on, plenty of gaps for them to work on.
Link to 21 year old Aberdeen Centre Back Scott McKenna, valued at £10 million:

https://thisisfutbol.com/2018/10/blogs/w...t-mckenna/

Original article;
https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/aber...tch-scott/
2x Premier League Champ 1x Championship Winner and World cup Winner
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »