Thread Rating:
Jan 03: WBA 2018/19 Transfer Window
(23-07-2018, 23:25)Slick_Footwork Wrote: Phil Penn, what gives you the impression we are 'selling everyone and replacing them all for free' or Lai is 'asset stripping'?

I don't see any evidence to back up these statements.

Now, they might prove to be correct, but evidence so far this summer doesn't suggest that.

So far... Unless I've missed any massive sales, we have sold 3 players in Foster, McClean and Evans. We have also released 3 important players in Myhill, Yacob and McAuley. In the case of the latter, there's not a lot you can do as he is 38 and soon to turn 39.

Myhill has been replaced by Bond, like for like reserve keeper.

Foster and been replaced by Sam Johnstone, who I've been assured by Villa fans at work is a more than ample replacement. If press reports are to be believed, Foster was sold for circa £4m and Johnstone cost us £6m. Doesn't sound much like asset stripping, we could've picked up a goalkeeper on a free if this was the case.

Evans has been replaced by Kyle Bartley, who apparently cost circa £4m, which was more than Evans was sold for.

If the lad from Leciester does come in to replace McClean, this will actually be the first deal we have done so far where we've sold someone for cash and replaced them for nothing. However, quality wise, we're replacing McClean with a better player. Loans didn't seem to harm the dingles last season, or Fulham for that matter.

Lastly, I know that we also matched Cardiff's bid of £10m for Bobby Reid but the player chose to go to the Premier League. The fact we were in the mix suggests we harbour reasonable ambitions of going back up, I hope.

So while your statement might well prove correct - as there's still time for Chadli, Rondon, Rodriguez, Dawson, Hegazi etc to go and be replaced by nobody or free transfers - I simply don't see any evidence at all that suggests this. It seems you're either incredibly pessimistic or trolling. We have spent a large portion of what has come in.

Some good points slick Thumb up
Just one I disagree with is Bobby Reid If you look on Matt Wilsons timeline (Express&Star) on twitter Albion refused to go above 6 Million for Reid,
Everything else though good points Thumb up
2x Premier League Champ 1x Championship Winner and World cup Winner
What happens to FFP if the Vile billionaire sponsors the stadium for 100 Million. ?
Isn`t that counted as income/profit?

DD Huh Huh
Ubique.
(24-07-2018, 00:44)Dingle-Dingle Wrote: What happens to FFP if the Vile billionaire sponsors the stadium for 100 Million. ?
Isn`t that counted as income/profit?

DD  Huh  Huh

You can't do that under FFP rules. The value to a stadium sponsorship is based on what can be reasonably expected if a similar club did the same thing. Our Chairman sponsors various things in the ground but the EFL have put market value limits on these sort of activities, so it has to be a reasonable amount that they "pay" for naming rights. Its fair to say that Villa would be able to charge more than say Rotherham but they couldn't charge as much as the prem teams do.
Quote:Some good points slick Thumb up
Just one I disagree with is Bobby Reid If you look on Matt Wilsons timeline (Express&Star) on twitter Albion refused to go above 6 Million for Reid,
Everything else though good points Thumb up

I don't claim to be an ITK. But in this case, I do know that we definitely did match Cardiff's bid for Reid of £8m rising to £10m with add on's.

Wilson and the press only know seem to know so much. By the sounds of it, he only knew about our first bid.
Well I suppose it's who you believe mate
As I say all the local jouros said we wouldn't budge at 6 million
You may be right about Matt but he's usually spot on and I know for one John Percy at the Daily mail is always right and said the same thing,
Meanwhile ........

West Brom are ready to rival Celtic and Rangers for Iranian World Cup defender Milad Mohammadi. #WBAFC #CelticFC #RangersFC https://t.co/ABzHhiIXKR
(24-07-2018, 13:53)Beefy 1965 Wrote: Well I suppose it's who you believe mate
As I say all the local jouros said we wouldn't budge at 6 million
You may be right about Matt but he's usually spot on and I know for one John Percy at the Daily mail is always right and said the same thing,
Meanwhile ........

West Brom are ready to rival Celtic and Rangers for Iranian World Cup defender Milad Mohammadi. #WBAFC #CelticFC #RangersFC https://t.co/ABzHhiIXKR

I agree that these journos are quite reliable, but this is a rare case where I know my source knows 100% more than they do.

That said, even if we chose to believe the £6m bid, it would go against Phil's point about us spending nothing.

Regarding the Iranian, isn't he the guy that did attempted the dodgy gambol throw in the world cup? Was a full back if I remember correctly? Looked pretty fast and a good athlete.
Barnes has now signed.

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2018/july/alb...it-barnes/

Mohammadi plays for Terek Grozny in Russia and he was the player who attempted the throw-in. He was first choice left back for his club last season.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/milad-mo...ler/333355
(24-07-2018, 14:50)WBA-Josh Wrote: Barnes has now signed.

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2018/july/alb...it-barnes/

Mohammadi plays for Terek Grozny in Russia and he was the player who attempted the throw-in. He was first choice left back for his club last season.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/milad-mo...ler/333355

Happy with the Barnes acquisition, he brings more skill, pace and goals than McClean. Maybe this could be the era where we start playing some football again!
Blimey I was right all from a follow off Twitter yesterday, can't believe how sometimes from twitter 2 and 2 equals 5 Whistle

Don't say I wasn't the first to pass on this information and guess what I have more Big Grin
While I am happy with the kid coming in, I am not happy with this continued loan business where there is not the option to buy. You would like to think if Barnes is as good as people seem to think he is, we would go in with an offer now, if they don't want to sell, then move on.

We can not build a stable foundation for the club with loan players. if he is that good and we do 'amazingly' (with the way things are going) manage the bounce-back, then he will go back to his parent club at the end of the season and we are back in the poo poo and will have to pay out Premiership rates. After of course putting a good few million on Barnes's value. even if we are offered first refusal we probably would refuse it if it were more than £15.00, remember Lakaku when Chelski offered him to us for £18 mil, before we messed trying to get him even cheaper and Chelski got fed up and put him on the open market, the rest being history.

If we can not front up for players of Championship quality then what real prospects are there for the club?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »