Thread Rating:
Slovakia v Scotland, Sun 15 Nov - World Cup quali an added bonus?
Nations League business this time for Scotland and could there be a "double whammy" of success for the guys with a good chance of World Cup qualification if another win notched up? Slovakia will be buoyant as well after their Euro quali success v Northern Ireland. But how much "gas will remain in the tanks" of both teams after recent exertions? I expect Steve Clarke to change the team for that very reason and give other aspiring Scot players a chance to impress him. Scotland are top of their group and unbeaten in nine consecutive matches - at last, we have success coupled with a real positive momentum, belief and camaraderie within this squad. I'll be very disappointed if we don't get a positive result this afternoon. C'mon Scotland!! Thumb up
FT and a disappointing 1-0 loss to a team that has nae chance in this group whatsoever and that is their 1st victory and a lucky one with a deflected 20 yard shot that left Craig Gordon stranded and unable to do anything to save it. As expected, lotsa changes to player personnel by Steve Clarke and more than I even expected - eight alterations with John McGinn taking over the captain's role. The guys actually played OK away from home v this level of opposition and I must say Griffiths last min strike, well saved by their goalie, should've given Scotland a deserved share of the pts. But it wasn't to be! However, the usual debate arises again with the decision to field McBurnie in the crucial CF position as it is very clear that he can't score at this level and should've scored at least one goal, if not two, this afternoon. The words that I can only utter re this lad after observing his first botched effort are, "You are too slow in thinking and acting with fast feet"!!!? He has done it before and, in this case, anybody who has watched or played footie could see right away how an easy goal was missed by not striking a great "through pass" early "on the run" of the ball - too easy IMO and I would never have missed that scoring opp! His second effort really was a great cross from Palmer that arrived on his napper but the header was woeful!!! The guy has played a big part in delivering this negative result and we have lost to this lucky Slovakian goal - HE IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH AT THIS LEVEL OF FOOTIE!!! Fortunately no great damage done to our NL group position and we can hopefully retrieve the situation anyway. Do the biz in Israel on Wednesday with a much stronger side Steve - that is what good international teams do!
After viewing this evening's 1-0 Czech result v Israel, the next fixture in Israel suddenly becomes more important in ensuring Scotland's top place in group B2 is secure as a win by Czechoslovakia v Slovakia is the only result for them to "nick it" and that would be a terrible disappointment when considering all the good work up to now. A win for Scotland would make it certain!!
We played fine and should have won the game but for that donkey we played up top. He should have had 2 goals the day. You could see Armstrongs reaction when he didn't score from his through ball - shoulders sank.

One other take away from today is that I think Tierney did more for us in an attacking sense than Robertson.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »