Thread Rating:
Hardship ahead for many people in the UK but don't worry the Queen is OK!!?
https://www.thenational.scot/news/187448...us-crisis/

So the British tax payer will make sure Lizzy and all her estates and hangers-on will be "assisted" in the proper way in order to mitigate any hardship during this tough period and at a time when the UK govt has declared record debt > £2T and rising!!! Thank god for that eh and good to see the Brit govt getting their priorities right during such a time of crisis when lotsa businesses will "go to the wall" and many people will be struggling with quite a lot of them possibly being forced to use food banks. Seriously though, this country and many within govt and the population really live within some kinda time warp going back to the 17th-18th century when it comes to this reverence and priority given to such a wealthy royal dynasty - just study the profits and value of the Crown Estate alone and wonder WTF is going on re proper values and re-evaluation of the modern way ahead for this country. I think Thailand and the UK are the only countries that still behave in this way where a small political elite group of people, together with their wealthy associates, swarm around the Royal family like bees and endorse the whole outdated system of patronage and favour that is engendered.
If Scotland gets her independence the next step should be republic status.
Yep! I couldn't agree more. The "royal obsession" is an anachronism that I wanna see the end of hopefully within my life time as well as a serious push for land reform in Scotland, another huge bugbear of mine together with the divisive two tier education system that favours private/public school children/parents in acquiring future benefits and better job opps over "the rest" - should not be happening in a small country like Scotland with a population just greater than 5.5M people!! There is so much to change in the years ahead after Scot indy is attained.
I must add to my original OP esp when observing such a poor lack of response on a subject where Brit tax payers money is being abused in such a way to bail out one of the richest individuals on earth - alarming and repugnant TBF!!
At a time when we are plunging towards the worst recession for a generation with multiple redundancies, struggling families and, as mentioned previously, a proliferation of food banks together with a UK govt Chancellor saying, "I cannot save every business and job"? It is morally bankrupt to award a multi-billionaire even more cash funded by the taxpaying public!!
The very existence of a royal family in 21st century British society perpetuates the legitimacy of inequality, which is manifested in areas like private education, the absurd royal honours system and an Orwellian idea highlighted during this pandemic that some people appear to be more equal than others.
With the economic uncertainties and constitutional disorientation fuelled by Brexit and the virus, together with the re-emergence of a pugnacious and reckless form of English nationalism, it is clear to many people that an unthinking acceptance of, or deference to, the institution of the monarchy can no longer be tolerated. I personally have long struggled to find any argument in favour of retaining the monarchy and believe that the royal family are an embarrassing and expensive burden to modern British society. Tourism of a historic nature would continue to flourish without them, as it does in the republic of France. The present Conservative govt are largely a product of Oxbridge privilege and birthright entitlement that is enabled by the very existence of a royal family and institutionalised inequality. Indeed the monarchy represents the greatest hurdle to achieving meritocracy in this country and in a society where there are increasing concerns with homelessness and material privation; the monarchy is an immoral, injudicious and scandalous waste of time and money!!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »