Thread Rating:
Tour de France 2020
[Image: XGEHXFpVMCyTS2KmBpTzkP-1200-80.jpg]

Get the feeling the guy above may have a different yellow jersey in just shy of three weeks time, won this with a bit of ease, breakaway group led for miles/kilometres before being reeled in before Roglic made it look easy going up an incline.
Alaphillipe still in yellow as for Ineos may just come to regret leaving Froome and Thomas out.
Scenery was ace as per usual

Jumbo-Visma rider Primoz Roglic won a thrilling finish to stage four of this year's Tour de France as Julian Alaphilippe retained the yellow jersey.

Krists Neilands led before being caught at the start of the last climb of 7.1km to this year's first summit finish.

The favourites were all in contention before Slovenian Roglic kicked clear to beat Tadej Pogacar, with leader Alaphilippe crossing in fifth.

Stage four saw the race travel 160.5km from Sisteron to Orcieres-Merlette.

Stage four result
1. Primoz Roglic (Slo/Jumbo-Visma) 4hrs 07mins 47secs

2. Tadej Pogacar (Slo/UAE Team Emirates) Same time

3. Guillaume Martin (Fra/Cofidis)

4. Nairo Quintana (Col/Arkea-Samsic)

5. Julian Alaphilippe (Fra/Deceuninck-Quick-Step)

6. Miguel Angel Lopez (Spa/Astana)

7. Egan Bernal (Col/Ineos Grenadiers)

8. Thibaut Pinot (Fra/Groupama-FDJ)

9. Mikel Landa (Spa/Bahrain McLaren)

10. Adam Yates (GB/Mitchelton-Scott)

General classification after stage four
1. Julian Alaphilippe (Fra/Deceuninck-Quick-Step) 18hrs 07mins 04secs

2. Adam Yates (GB/Mitchelton-Scott) +4secs

3. Primoz Roglic (Slo/Jumbo-Visma) +7secs

4. Tadej Pogacar (Slo/UAE Team Emirates) +11secs

5. Guillaume Martin (Fra/Cofidis) +13secs

6. Egan Bernal (Col/Ineos Grenadiers) +17secs

7. Tom Dumoulin (Ned/Jumbo-Visma) Same time

8. Esteban Chaves (Col/Mitchelton-Scott)

9. Nairo Quintana (Col/Arkea-Samsic)

10. Miguel Angel Lopez (Col/Astana)
ritchiebaby likes this post
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

It's good to see some of my favourites taking a bit of interest in proceedings. Old Man Sagan was obviously saving himself for tomorrow's sprint, a tactic which has served him well in the past.
Cabbage is still good for you
A sprinters stage as we now enter areas which have proper river The Rhone and Alphillipe apparently a naughty boy, Yates now leads didn't give it full concentration as being at work until the latter stages

Britain's Adam Yates moved into the lead of the Tour de France after Julian Alaphilippe was given a 20-second penalty on stage five, which was won by Wout van Aert.

France's Alaphilippe, who is now 16th overall, was penalised for taking a bottle from a team support member inside the final 20km.

Yates leads Primoz Roglic by three seconds in the yellow jersey.

"This is not the way I'd imagined taking the yellow jersey," said Yates.

"If I'm honest, no one wants to take the jersey like this.

"I was looking to take the jersey on stage seven anyway so I'll go in with the same tactic - try to win the stage and see what happens."

Yates is the ninth different British rider to lead the Tour and first since Geraint Thomas won in 2018.

Alaphilippe had led Yates by four seconds and looked to have retained the yellow jersey after finishing safely in the bunch in Privas.

But television images showed him being given a water bottle with 17.8km to go - under the rules of world governing body, the UCI, riders are not allowed to take on food or drink in the final 20km of a stage.

It was a bizarre way for the Frenchman to lose the jersey he had taken by winning stage two, especially after Deceuninck-Quick-Step had ridden on the front of the peloton for most of the day to protect Alaphilippe and set up sprinter Sam Bennett.

Ireland's Bennett was able to finish third behind Van Aert and Dutchman Cees Bol to take the green jersey off Peter Sagan, who was fourth.

Bennett is the first Irishman to lead any classification in the Tour since 1989, when the great Sean Kelly won the last of his four green jerseys.

By also beating Sagan in the intermediate sprint, Bennett showed his intent to challenge Sagan in the points classification, which the Slovakian is attempting to win for a record-extending eighth time.

Van Aert appeared from the bunch sprint to edge out Bol and win in four hours, 21 minutes and 22 seconds.

Stage five saw the riders tackle a 183km route from Gap to Privas.

Stage five result
1. Wout van Aert (Bel/Jumbo-Visma) 4hrs 21mins 22secs

2. Cees Bol (Ned/Team Sunweb) Same time

3. Sam Bennett (Ire/Deceuninck-Quick-Step)

4. Peter Sagan (Svk/Bora-Hansgrohe)

5. Jasper Stuyven (Bel/Trek-Segafredo)

6. Luka Mezgec (Slo/Mitchelton-Scott)

7. Bryan Coquard (Fra/B&B Hotels-Vital Concept)

8. Caleb Ewan (Aus/Lotto Soudal)

9. Clement Venturini (Fra/AG2R La Mondiale)

10. Hugo Hofstetter (Fra/Israel Start-up Nation)

General classification after stage five
1. Adam Yates (GB/Mitchelton-Scott) 22hrs 28mins 30secs

2. Primoz Roglic (Slo/Jumbo-Visma) +3secs

3. Tadej Pogacar (Slo/UAE Team Emirates) +7secs

4. Guillaume Martin (Fra/Cofidis) +9secs

5. Egan Bernal (Col/Ineos Grenadiers) +13secs

6. Tom Dumoulin (Ned/Jumbo-Visma) Same time

7. Nairo Quintana (Col/Arkea-Samsic)

8. Esteban Chaves (Col/Mitchelton-Scott)

9. Miguel Angel Lopez (Col/Astana)

10. Romain Bardet (Fra/AG2R La Mondiale)

Rain stopped play for me today, so I managed to watch a lot of today's stage live on ITV4 (with breaks for gardening). A well-timed break on the final climb saw Lutsenko gain a comprehensive stage win.

Not much change in the GC, with 11 riders on +13 seconds. But already there are only 22 riders within 41 seconds and only another one within 2:30.

A comparitively easy day tomorrow still shouldn't see any great change in the GC. Then the fun will start in the Pyrenees on Saturday and Sunday.
themaclad likes this post
Cabbage is still good for you
Was impressive by Lutsenko also Ineos starting to get their act together

Astana's Alexey Lutsenko claimed the biggest success of his career with victory in stage six of the Tour de France as Britain's Adam Yates retained the leader's yellow jersey.

Lutsenko left the rest of the breakaway behind on a steep climb with 17km to go and finished alone on Mont Aigoual.

Yates finished in the bunch, with the main favourites content to save their attacks for another day.

"We defended well and I get another day in yellow," said Yates.

"I got the jersey in a strange situation but hopefully we did it proud."

France's Julian Alaphilippe, who lost the yellow jersey to Yates on Wednesday after he was docked 20 seconds for taking a bottle inside the final 20km, sprinted late on to grab one second back in a show of defiance.

Mitchelton-Scott rider Yates, who said before the race he is targeting stage wins instead of the overall title this year, leads Slovenia's Primoz Roglic by three seconds.

He should keep the jersey after Friday's stage seven, which is one for the sprinters, before facing two tough days in the Pyrenees that lead into Monday's first rest day.

"Those two stages are going to be really tough but we've got a super strong team so I'm looking forward to it," added Yates.

"I still want to win a stage but it's hard to throw away time in the lead so I'll play it day by day and set what happens."

Adam Yates' Tour de France stage-by-stage guide
A strong eight-man breakaway, that included Olympic champion Greg van Avermaet and Ireland's Nicolas Roche, built up a six-minute lead on the flat start to the 191km stage from Le Teil, suggesting the winner would emerge from that group.

Jumbo-Visma, Ineos Grenadiers and Mitchelton-Scott all worked on the front to cut that deficit to about three minutes after the first two climbs of the day to bring the main favourites back into contention, but Lutsenko proved too strong.

The Kazakh champion kept upping the pace on the Col de la Lusette, which features sections of 10% gradient, to shed riders until just he and American Neilson Powless were left.

Lutsenko soon dropped him too to take the summit alone before comfortably riding up the final drag to Mont Aigoual for his first Tour stage win.

Cofidis' Jesus Herrada, who fought back after being distanced earlier on the climb, finished second, while Van Avermaet sprinted away from Powless for third.

"This victory is very important for me - I've worked so hard to get this win," said Lutsenko.

"I rode my tempo and gave it my all to create a gap big enough to win."

Ireland's Sam Bennett increased his lead over Peter Sagan in the green jersey points classification by beating the Slovakian at the intermediate sprint and will look to extend his advantage further on Friday.

Stage six result
1. Alexey Lutsenko (Kaz/Astana) 4hrs 32mins 34secs

2. Jesus Herrada (Spa/Cofidis) +55secs

3. Greg van Avermaet (Bel/CCC Team) +2mins 15secs

4. Neilson Powless (US/EF Pro Cycling) +2mins 17secs

5. Julian Alaphilippe (Fra/Deceuninck-Quick-Step) +2mins 52secs

6. Bauke Mollema (Ned/Trek-Segafredo) +2mins 53secs

7. Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol/Ineos Grenadiers) Same time

8. Egan Bernal (Col/Ineos Grenadiers)

9. Richard Carapaz (Ecu/Ineos Grenadiers)

10. Adam Yates (GB/Mitchelton-Scott)

General classification after stage six
1. Adam Yates (GB/Mitchelton-Scott) 27mins 3mins 57secs

3. Tadej Pogacar (Slo/UAE Team Emirates) +7secs

4. Guillaume Martin (Fra/Cofidis) +9secs

5. Egan Bernal (Col/Ineos Grenadiers) +13secs

6. Tom Dumoulin (Ned/Jumbo-Visma) Same time

7. Esteban Chaves (Col/Mitchelton-Scott)

8. Nairo Quintana (Col/Arkea-Samsic)

9. Romain Bardet (Fra/AG2R La Mondiale)

10. Miguel Angel Lopez (Col/Astana)

Wout wins again, rather in form rider one would say, next up them there Pyrenees

Wout van Aert won stage seven of the Tour de France in a sprint finish as Britain's Adam Yates retained the leader's yellow jersey.

The Belgian, who also won stage five, got the better of his sprint rivals at the end of a blustery 168km ride from Millau to Lavaur.

The Jumbo-Visma rider edged out Norway's Edvald Boasson Hagen and Frenchman Bryan Coquard.

Mitchelton-Scott's Yates was ninth and stays at the head of the standings.

More to follow

Stage seven results
1. Wout van Aert (Bel/Jumbo Visma) 3hrs 32mins 03secs

2. Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor/NTT Pro Cycling) Same time

3. Bryan Coquard (Fra/B&B Hotels-Vital Concept)

4. Christophe Laporte (Fra/Cofidis)

5. Jasper Stuyen (Bel/Trek-Segafredo)

6. Clement Venturini (Fra/AG2R-La Mondiale)

7. Hugo Hofstetter (Fra/Israel Start-Up Nation)

8. Egan Bernal (Col/Ineos Grenadiers)

9. Adam Yates (GB/Mitchelton-Scott)

10. Alejandro Valverde (Spa/Movistar)

General classification after stage seven
1. Adam Yates (GB/Mitchelton-Scott) 30hrs 36mins 00secs

3. Guillaume Martin (Fra/Cofidis) +9secs

4. Egan Bernal (Col/Ineos Grenadiers) +13secs

5. Tom Dumoulin (Ned/Jumbo-Visma) Same time

6. Nairo Quintana (Col/Arkea-Samsic)

7. Romain Bardet (Fra/AG2R-La Mondiale)

8. Miguel Angel Lopez (Col/Astana)

9. Thibaut Pinot (Fra/Groupama-FDJ)

10. Rigoberto Uran (Col/EF Pro Cycling)

A brave ride by Yellow Jersey the lad from Bury Adam Yates as the sound of bubbles bursting sounded all over France as first as Pinot and Allaphillipe went pop, as I write three hours after the leader finish Pinot is probably still out on the course, back in jury apparently. The big guns are still in their as they go climbing again tomorrow, as the for the Stage Peters won with ease, he was good going up hill and good going down hill. Hats off to Jerome Cousin who again spent a long period of a soul breakaway, it's bubbling.

Britain's Adam Yates held on to the Tour de France leader's yellow jersey as Nans Peters claimed a superb solo win on stage eight in the Pyrenees.

Yates survived several attacks to finish in a group containing many of the overall race favourites.

A tough day of climbing on the 141km-route from Cazeres-sur-Garonne to Loudenvielle scattered the peloton.

France's Peters led home the survivors of a 13-man breakaway to record a memorable win.

However, it was a much less enjoyable day for home favourite Thibaut Pinot, who effectively lost all hope of becoming the first Frenchman to win the race since 1985.

Dropped on the second climb of the day, Pinot finished over 25 minutes behind Peters and lost around 19 minutes on all the main general classification contenders.

'I'm not going to throw it away'
Yates also looked to be suffering up the final climb of the day on the Col de Peyresourde after Julian Alaphilippe's burst sparked a series of attacks.

However, the Mitchelton-Scott rider responded each time to maintain his three-second advantage over Primoz Roglic.

"In the end I did my thing and tried to stay with the best guys, and here we are," said Yates.

"Right at the bottom of the last climb [Tom] Dumoulin set a ferocious pace and I couldn't hold the wheel.

"I had to ride at my own pace for a little bit, collect myself, but I pulled my way back and over the top I managed to stay with the guys so all in all it was a good day.

"It's not every day you lead the Tour de France so I'm not going to throw it away, I want to keep it as long possible."

Romain Bardet's late surge saw him leapfrog both Nairo Quintana and defending champion Egan Bernal in the overall standings.

Ineos Grenadiers' Bernal retains the best young rider's white jersey as part of a quartet of Colombian riders 13 seconds off the yellow jersey but Jumbo Visma's Tom Dumoulin dropped to 15th after losing two minutes.

Been out so tried the Likely Lads avoid the result until your ready scenario FAILED

Britain's Adam Yates lost the leaders yellow jersey to Primoz Roglic as Tadej Pogacar won stage nine of the Tour de France.

Yates was dropped on the final climb of the 153km route from Pau to Laruns on another punishing day in the Pyrenees.

Marc Hirschi led for over 80km before being caught 1.5km from the finish, where Pogacar edged fellow Slovenian Roglic in a sprint.

Mitchelton-Scott's Yates drops to eighth in the overall standings.

The 28-year-old crossed the line in 15th having looked resigned to the situation on the descent from the Col de Marie Blanque towards the finish.

As well as losing 54 seconds to the leading group, which also contained defending champion Egan Bernal, Yates also lost time to the likes of Romain Bardet, Guillame Martin and Nairo Quintana.

'It was fun while it lasted'
Yates, who moves to Ineos Grenadiers next season, sits 62 seconds off the overall lead after Roglic benefited from time bonuses.

The Englishman says he will revert to his original plan of targeting stage wins after four days in yellow.

"I did my best," he said. "I knew coming into the race I wasn't 100%.

"I gave everything I could to hang on. I think we can be pretty proud of what we did. We'll freshen up with the rest day and go after some stages.

"I did what I could but there were just some guys with better condition than me. It is what it is.

"There are a lot of stages in the last week that suit me quite well so we'll see what we can do. It's a big honour to ride in yellow and it was fun while it lasted."

Pogacar makes history
Despite only being 21 years old, Pogacar arrived in France as an outside favourite to win the yellow jersey after finishing third in the Vuelta a Espana in 2019 - his maiden season as a professional.

This victory saw him become the youngest stage winner at the Tour since Lance Armstrong in 1993 and also the youngest in the 21st Century.

While he lost time in the crosswinds into Lavaur in Friday's seventh stage, he has recovered 42 seconds in the Pyrenees to move up to seventh place from 16th, 44 seconds behind Roglic.

"It was really crazy, and after that hard day to win the stage is incredible," Pogacar said.

"I just wanted to gain as much time as I could in the GC [general classification] but in the last 800m I knew that a stage win is also 10 seconds so I was focused on the sprint and it was just full gas.

"Primoz is really good. He has won [stages] before and he will win again. I hope we can do great things."

Stage nine result
1. Tadej Pogacar (Slo/UAE-Team Emirates) 3hrs 55mins 17secs

2. Primoz Roglic (Slo/Jumbo Visma) Same time

3. Marc Hirschi (Swi/Sunweb)

4. Egan Bernal (Col/Ineos Grenadiers)

5. Mikel Landa (Spa/Bahrain McLaren)

6. Bauke Mollema (Ned/Trek-Segafredo) +11secs

7. Guillame Martin (Fra/Cofidis) Same time

8. Romain Bardet (Fra/AG2R-La Mondiale)

9. Richie Porte (Aus/Trek-Segafredo)

10. Rigoberto Uran (Col/EF Pro Cycling)

General classification
1. Primoz Roglic (Slo/Jumbo-Visma) 38hrs 40mins 01secs

2. Egan Bernal (Col/Ineos Grenadiers) +21secs

3. Guillaume Martin (Fra/Cofidis) +28secs

4. Romain Bardet (Fra/AG2R-La Mondiale) +30secs

5. Nairo Quintana (Col/Arkea-Samsic) +32secs

6. Rigoberto Uran (Col/EF Pro Cycling) Same time

7. Tadej Pogacar (Slo/UAE-Team Emirates) +44secs

8. Adam Yates (GB/Mitchelton-Scott) +1mins 02secs

9. Miguel Angel Lopez (Col/Astana) +1mins 15secs

10. Mikel Landa (Spa/Bahrain McLaren) +1mins 42secs

Unreal ride by Hirschi

A long flat stage which didn't look anything elase then a sprinters stage ended up with a sprinter Sam Bennett winning. Sam gave an Holywood Oscar speech thanking everyome he coud think off before breaking down a la David Niven's Fridge from the Monty Python Sketch from years ago

The Fridge breaks down in floods of tears at the end as did Sam

As for the stage it had wind, narrow village streets, spectacular bridges, falls a plenty and my favourite level crossings excessively entertaining and zero Social distancing in La Rochelle were the dtreets were lined with loads of spectators TOP STUFF

Ireland's Sam Bennett won stage 10 of the Tour de France as Primoz Roglic retained the leader's yellow jersey.

Bennett, 29, edged out Australia's Caleb Ewan in a sprint finish to give the Deceuninck-Quick-Step rider his first stage win on the Tour.

Roglic safely negotiated the flat 168.5km route from Ile d'Oleron Le Chateau-d'Oleron to Ile de Re Saint-Martin-de-Re to retain the lead.

The Slovenian remains 21 seconds ahead of defending champion Egan Bernal.

"You dream of it and never think it will happen," an emotional Bennett told ITV4. "It hasn't hit me at all yet."

"Oh man, I was waiting to go and I thought I might have left it too late. I thought he might have got me."

As it happened - Bennett claims first Tour stage win
Ackermann cements Tirreno-Adriatico lead
Bennett's victory saw him become the sixth Irishman to win a stage at the Tour de France and ensured he now has stage wins at all three of cycling's Grand Tours.

He won three at the Giro d'Italia in 2018 and two at the Vuelta a Espana in 2019, but this was the race that he had set his sights on after leaving Bora-Hansgrohe to join Belgian team Quick-Step in December.

The Irish sprinter, who kept out of trouble on a hectic day that featured several crashes, also regained the green jersey from seven-time points classification winner Peter Sagan.

Earlier on Tuesday, riders from all 22 teams were cleared to start the stage after race director Christian Prudhomme and members of staff from four teams tested positive for Covid-19.

French health authorities and race organisers Amaury Sport Organisation have said that if two members of a team test positive, the team would be excluded.

Wednesday's 11th stage sees the race travel the relatively flat 167.5km route from Chatelaillon-Plage to Poitiers.

Stage 10 results
1. Sam Bennett (Ire/Deceuninck-Quick-Step) 3hrs 35mins 22secs

2. Caleb Ewan (Aus/Lotto Soudal) Same time

3. Peter Sagan (Slo/Bora-Hansgrohe)

4. Elia Viviani (Ita/Cofidis)

5. Mads Pedersen (Den/Trek-Segafredo)

6. Andre Griepel (Ger/Israel Start-Up Nation)

7. Bryan Coquard (Fra/B&B Hotels-Vital Concept)

8. Cees Bol (Ned/Sunweb)

9. Jasper Stuyen (Bel/Trek-Segafredo)

10. Luka Mezgec (Slo/Mitchelton-Scott)

General classification
1. Primoz Roglic (Slo/Jumbo-Visma) 42hrs 15mins 23secs

2. Egan Bernal (Col/Ineos Grenadiers) +21secs

3. Guillaume Martin (Fra/Cofidis) +28secs

4. Romain Bardet (Fra/AG2R-La Mondiale) +30secs

5. Nairo Quintana (Col/Arkea-Samsic) +32secs

6. Rigoberto Uran (Col/EF Pro Cycling) Same time

7. Tadej Pogacar (Slo/UAE-Team Emirates) +44secs

8. Adam Yates (GB/Mitchelton-Scott) +1mins 02secs