Thread Rating:
Johnson watch activated - the nightmare begins for the UK!!
They are only standing on the 'list' seats - so if any vote is going to be diluted it will be the unionist one.
(26-03-2021, 23:38)hibeejim21 Wrote: They are only standing on the 'list' seats - so if any vote is going to be diluted it will be the unionist one.

I am not familiar with that, how does that work?
It is part of the proportional representation set up in the D'Hondt electoral system that is used for Scottish elections. Briefly what happens is that in many Scottish seats the dominant party (1st vote for constituent seats), i.e. the SNP, can have its massive list vote (2nd vote) significantly diluted (can't remember the % reduction offhand) because that political party is the dominant one. So a second placed lesser party with 6% of the vote can win a list seat to the detriment of say a huge 2nd vote for the SNP (unless that reduced SNP vote is still too big to overhaul) and to the chagrin of many SNP voters who regard their 2nd votes to be utterly wasted esp when certain Tory and Labour list candidates are picking up a Scot Parliament ticket (with a tasty annual salary of about £70k) and are unelected by the people. Hence many SNP/indy voters have debated how not to waste their second vote. In other words voting for another popular indy supporting lesser party like eg the Green Party whose vote will not be diluted. The difficulty with this kinda move is that one can't predict what indy party is the one for every SNP/indy voter (in each voting region) to plump for with certainty of the dominant vote not being wasted? IMO it is not certain that 1000s of indy supporters will opt for the Alba Party. At the moment lotsa SNP/indy supporters would love to wipe out as many unelected Unionist MSPs as possible who they regard as unelected "back door carpetbaggers" with no interest in Scotland or Scotland's future and the way forward away from Brexit and a hostile Brit govt who we never voted for AGAIN. Alex Salmond is clearly looking to capitalise on that position but the fear for many is that he may well dilute the vote in some regions where the list vote is still won by the SNP. The clear objective for most indy supporters is to ensure there is an SNP govt in place to ensure Johnson takes notice that it is a big enough govt to push for Scot indy. Any additional Scotindy MSPs would be welcome and regarded by many as true justice imposed for the second list vote and hopefully there will be far less "back door" Unionist MSPs picking up big salaries after being picked from the top of their own party lists. In the case of the Scot Tories, some of their top list candidates are people who are ex party donors who have limited interest in Scottish affairs - a f##### joke!!Thumb down
Alex is still looking after Alex and he knows that if his Alba Party do well in the May elections and secure MSPs for the pro-independence cause, he can then claim that any successful referendum vote will all be down to his intervention. He will still be looking for some senior position in such a campaign, even if it's at Nicola's expense.

Additionally, I'm sure that the SNP and the Alba Party will be delighted to have any "back-door" MSPs they can muster.
Cabbage is still good for you
It's the tories and labour who rely on list MPs, and its they this will most effect. The Britain elects boy had all the seats and swings required.

I think Eck is trying to ensure Sturgeon is a bit more assertive on independence going forward. It might work, putting aside his court case with Nicolas pal.
I'd suggest that "playing the system" on list votes just didn't work in 2016 when the SNP lost seats due to lotsa people deciding to split their two votes. That was a mistake IMO. Reflect back to Scot election year 2011, the successful "two votes SNP" campaign that delivered the SNP its majority and a following 2014 indy referendum. When the votes were counted across Scotland in 2011, the SNP won 53 constituencies and 16 list seats, securing a total of 69 out of 129 MSPs - A STUNNING SUCCESS TO WIN A PARLIAMENTARY MAJORITY THROUGH AN ELECTORAL SYSTEM DESIGNED TO DENY THE SNP A MAJORITY! IMO stick to the same formula as 2011 and don't bother trying to "game the system". If one also studies recent favourability ratings of party leaders, an Opinium poll in mid March showed that the FM is miles ahead with a 20pt net positive rating. In contrast, Labour's Sarwar is -3, DRoss is -26 and Salmond is -60. There are good reasons for that eh! Responsible, sensible and experienced leadership come to mind - not over-inflated egos!
I don't really care what his motives are. I think he's vile. He's always come across as conceited and arrogant.
I'd say that is a common view shared by a huge chunk of the Scottish population. Note his popularity is ranked at about 15% and that ties in with that sentiment. All my family and friends share a similar view and their upcoming votes will be SNP1 and 2 - totally undeterred by this announcement and esp after all those recent almost daily attacks from the Brit government and media accomplices. Alex Salmond is the past and there appears to be a "Farage aspect" about this type of political move. It is slightly different but it reminds me of Farage's sudden removal of all Brexit Party candidates to allow Johnson to move in on winning the Brit gen election 2019 with a Brexit majority govt - never forgotten!!Thumb down As my wife recently commented - "This man just can't keep out of the public spotlight, he's on another ego trip"! Well put and accurate!
Amelia Chaffinch and ritchiebaby like this post
SNP 1/2 is totally pointless.

I quite like the idea of Salmond being back, purely because I think independence needs a freshen up, Scottish politics needs a shake. Most nations that have attained independence have had more than one political movement devoted to it. It's become stale and stagnant in the hands of the SNP, many of whom are more interested in lining their own pockets and getting jobs for their mates than forwarding the cause of self determination.

With Alba they can now be held to account on that score.
I'd correct that 1st line Jim. It is relevant in a lotta areas in which the SNP can win list seats - they have done it in the past and Sturgeon's popularity is already rising even more positively than before as we gradually move out of the COVID crisis. But one must add a realistic view that without both votes SNP there is a risk of no independence majority - probably however too much to ask, no matter how true. And that is where it is already becoming apparent where Ecky's attack lines are being drawn - the list seats of interest are being published (and analysed) as we speak and they will be huge targets for the Alba Party, no doubt, and to the detriment of "back door" Tory and Labour benefactors who I reckon will be very worried that their "nice little number" for all these years will be seriously threatened. Some of these targets are in the north of Scotland where Ecky's campaign call will definitely be "look at your devastated fishing communities" or "you cosied up to Tory-Breixit traitors and look where you are" - "didn't listen and just look at traitors like DRoss and other Scot Tories who recently voted with the Brit govt against your interests" - SO MUCH POLITICAL AMMUNITION HE HAS TO COUNTER THEIR CRITICISMS AND HE WILL USE IT"!!! We'll see how it all unfolds but it could indeed end up with a huge independence mixed block of govt (one pre-requisite is that it needs to be unified - unity is key and that impetus is with Alex Salmond for at least to bear in mind not to divide the forces of progress for Scotindy!) that will definitely be on a "collision course" with an antagonistic Brit govt full of cabinet members trying to drape themselves in Union Jacks - Union Jackery absolutely frowned upon up here and effectively focusing millions of Scottish voters on the fact how Scottish we really are with the road to self-determination being very clear now. Interesting times ahead and I'll end this thread by uttering the words of an old footie song - CHE SERA SERA!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »