Thread Rating:
Labour Leadership Contest
Think the major issue there is like you say that a lot of the younger people from those areas have moved to the cities or urban areas for jobs and taken their labour votes with them...somewhere likely with a labour majority anyway! With FPTP it makes it nigh on impossible for labour to win now.

So the people left in those seats will have a large proportion of retired, house owning voters who are more likely to lean to the conservatives.

The problem labour have now is to try and appeal to that demographic whilst keeping their own voting coalition together - which is nigh on impossible with the culture wars raging, much like it was with Brexit.

Even with all that I'm not sure I believe too much in a 'red wall' as such, if Labour doesn't get its act together soon its going to lose a lot of its vote to the greens and the Lib Dems.
Starmer and Labour are going to expel 1000 members from the party.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
Starmer's speech at conference was really good. It set out his/Labour's vision for the country. He attacked the Tories and the SNP and showed some passion for once.

(18-07-2021, 00:28)spireitematt Wrote: Starmer and Labour are going to expel 1000 members from the party.

There were a lot of never were and never will be "members" who paid a few quid just before the last leadership election to join and to be able to vote. Many were found to be members of other parties too (ood a thunk it?) and were rightly kicked into touch. I'm sure they all joined at the last minute with the future of the Labour Party at the heart of their intentions. Whistle Have they paid again this year?

If the "purge" is catching those of similar intentions I won't lose any sleep over it. Nor will I if it's catching arseholes who should form a party of their own that has nothing to do with Labour values and they are basically Klingons that are realistically just ass wiping bad.
A guide to cask ale.

[Image: aO7W3pZ.png]

Multi-tasking. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.
(29-09-2021, 17:18)theo_luddite Wrote:
(18-07-2021, 00:28)spireitematt Wrote: Starmer and Labour are going to expel 1000 members from the party.

There were a lot of never were and never will be "members" who paid a few quid just before the last leadership election to join and to be able to vote. Many were found to be members of other parties too (ood a thunk it?) and were rightly kicked into touch. I'm sure they all joined at the last minute with the future of the Labour Party at the heart of their intentions.  Whistle Have they paid again this year?

If the "purge" is catching those of similar intentions I won't lose any sleep over it. Nor will I if it's catching arseholes who should form a party of their own that has nothing to do with Labour values and they are basically Klingons that are realistically just ass wiping bad.

A lot of people were kicked out who were anti-semitic.

The leadership rules have been changed at conference to stop someone like Corbyn becoming the leader again. You have to be a member for more than 6 months to vote in leadership elections now and the Labour MPs have more say than the members on who the leader will be.

The leadership election you refer to where people of other parties paid £3 to vote in the leadership election was back in 2015 when Corbyn got elected as leader and I think the 2016 leadership challenge as well.

It won't stop Corbyn or his ilk becoming leader again, just the way he became leader.

That said a lot of his idea's were not that bad for the common man. Just far too central for the extreme right wing pillocks that the likes of Farage had driven the useless Tories (and their press) to become and asking the wankers with off-shore bank accounts to pay tax before they off-shore it????

Pay tax???

Why the xxxx do you think I have an off-shore account? I mean, come on, play the white man. There's no way on earth you'll get elected with that policy.

Take a look at what the EU was proposing when Brexit came along Whistle
A guide to cask ale.

(29-09-2021, 19:13)theo_luddite Wrote: It won't stop Corbyn or his ilk becoming leader again, just the way he became leader.

Play the long game rather than the "vote at the chippy with the hot chips" game that it became.

Corbyn isn't a Labour MP anymore, he is an independent MP because he had the whip taken off him.

Starmer and Labour want to get rid of 'Corbynism', the far left and Momentum and move the party back to the centre ground.

The Tories wouldn't have a majority if the number of MP's Bodgit has removed the Whip from were listed as independent. Mostly those that voted remain and despite having more brains and nous than his current cabinet combined, won't ever get a front bench job with the clown prince in charge.
A guide to cask ale.

(29-09-2021, 19:23)spireitematt Wrote:
(29-09-2021, 19:13)theo_luddite Wrote: It won't stop Corbyn or his ilk becoming leader again, just the way he became leader.

Play the long game rather than the "vote at the chippy with the hot chips" game that it became.

Corbyn isn't a Labour MP anymore, he is an independent MP because he had the whip taken off him.

Starmer and Labour want to get rid of 'Corbynism', the far left and Momentum and move the party back to the centre ground.

It's Blairism epitomised TBF!! He had one of two choices to make and he has gone for "phoney" Tony's one that was made all these years ago as well as Blair ensuring that Rupert Murdoch's press/media didn't fire continuous "broadside shots" into the bows of his political ship. IMO Blair wouldn't have won the 1997 election so well without that agreement. Starmer won't have that "assist" from the Tory press. Therefore he'll have no chance of making any inroads to becoming a UK PM unless the Tories implode or the previously described deposed Tories, who always opposed Brexit, finally "spark into life" and bring down Johnson and the rest of his cronies. A case of "keeping one's powder dry" until the appropriate moment.
Gordon Brown is to lead a commission to settle the issue of the Union.

I thought Starmer did very well with the speech today, he got heckled quite a bit from the hard left. He made a few jokes, talked about how he wants to focus on work, care, equality and security. He said that Scotland has been failed by the Tories and the SNP. Said Labour are patriotic and the party of the Union.

Speeches don't win elections, so he's got a lot more to do. Has to convince the electorate and not just the converted.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »