Thread Rating:
Cyprus v Scotland
Well this is a "dead rubber" of a Euro footie group match and, HEY PRESTO, the injury withdrawals are well timed again with McTominay, Robertson and Fraser all deemed to be unavailable for this game. I wonder how many of them will play for their clubs after this international break??? Steve Clarke requires to piece together and prepare an accountable team and subs for a crucial play off period next year. This usual disappointing scenario does not help at all TBF although it was good to see Hibs' Ryan Porteous being called up and hopefully earning his 1st cap after a sterling Euro campaign with the Scotland U21s!!!
Scotland win a nervy 1-2 away in Cyprus. We deserved a wee rub of the green I think. Mcginn and christie the scorers and the star players on the day.

Have to say I've never been impressed by the boy palmer at RB but he did fine today.
Any positive result was OK for me but Scotland definitely lucky to get this win and something for SC to work on and improve. I must be frank re some of our defenders and with a view to an upcoming one-off play-off semi-final at Hampden Pk next March - Palmer and Taylor OK but not good enough v better opposition next year. Gallagher? Again not sure re a pairing alongside McKenna with some iffy moments in the Scotland defence this afternoon. Our strongest line-up is not this one. I also think we need one or two international friendly matches in February for Clarke to finally prepare his chosen strongest team for that crucial semi-final and lotsa good players currently missing.
McKenna is a haddy. But there isn't much choice for that position.
It's a pity that Porteous is not 3-4 inches taller as I'd have no hesitation in pitching him into such a match but he has not been "groomed" into a Scotland defensive position yet and I think it is probably too late although I'd add that the likes of a German manager would not think that way if realising that a player is good enough. The best I'd expect from Porteous would be a cover CB playing alongside a dominant CB. Re McKenna, IMO he is not match fit yet following his long injury recuperation and that does not help his situation.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »