Thread Rating:
The Ashes 2019 - Australia in England
Well, that's that then. A gallant rearguard on the final day, but sadly you can't pull off miracles every week, and the bottom line is that for the third time this series we dug ourselves into a near impossible position by the end of day four. With the urn gone, there's nothing left now but to try and save face by levelling the series next week. And then the long-overdue inquest into our Test side can commence in earnest.
One man has made the difference and the only game we won was the game he missed.
Steve Smith wins the Ashes.
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
Bowled well let down by the batting mind you the 100 will cure that as if
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Root saying he's still the right man to captain the team.
Have to doubt that, although he can't be blamed for everything.
I agree about Smith being the difference between the sides, and add to that the loss of Jimmy Anderson; if anyone could have got Smith out this summer, it would have been Jimmy. As for Root's captaincy, I think the worst aspect of it is that the pressure seems to be affecting his batting. Problem is, if you take it off him, then who gets it? Not sure Stokes has the temperament, and the rest of the team is a revolving door of players coming and going.

Ultimately, while this summer was supposed to be the one where we did the World Cup and Ashes double, I think it's become the summer in which we reaped all the fruits and follies of our coaching set-up since 2015. Yes, we won the World Cup (just about), and I wouldn't trade that for anything; but it's clear that our Test batting has gone backward as a result, and from this point on, that has to be reversed. Personally, in the short-term I'd issue an ultimatum to quite a few of the batsmen who double up between formats to pick one and stick with it. Stokes is exempt because he alone seems to be able to switch mentality as necessary. But Roy, Buttler and Moeen need to be dedicated white-ball players, Root and Bairstow red-ball players (unless the latter chooses otherwise, in which case bring in Foakes as a replacement), and young players scoring runs in the Championship should get their chance to step up into the vacant places in the Test team.

But this will necessitate changes further down the pyramid of cricket. I don't think domestic T20 can be sacrificed or even cut down too much, because for many smaller counties it's all that keeps the wolf from the door, so if the Championship is to flourish again, then it's the fifty-over comp that will have to move to the margins (presuming the ECB aren't going to sacrifice it altogether). There's no reason for every county to play eight group games; go back to having four groups of five teams, randomly drawn, comprising the eighteen first-class counties and the two finalists of the previous years Minor Counties Trophy. With just four group games per side, you can easily cram it into the first fortnight of the season, then allow an unbroken run of Championship matches right through to midsummer, when the knockout rounds would follow. (Of course, there's no room for the Hundred in this, but we all know where the ECB should stick that).

And for the love of God, promote cricket in state schools. In some ten years of mandatory Games/PE, I never once picked up a bat or strapped on a pair of pads. I played football, rugby, rounders, softball, basketball, handball, ping-pong, badminton and every form of athletics, but never bowled a leg-break or an off-cutter. It's no use moaning that we haven't got any decent openers whilst hoping that the next one will emerge from a pool of hundreds in Eton or Harrow. It's far from impossible: cricket used to be far more elitist in the past than it is now (think back to the MCC's treatment of Botham in the early Eighties, the moral panic about "lager louts" in the mid-Nineties), and it has made great strides, but until we're giving the poorest kids in the nation the chance to watch and play, the game's not where it should be.
themaclad and 0762 like this post
I still play ended up half way through the season being captain of my clubs 2nd XI at lower levels the game is struggling as people do not want to commit to playing, since July we have struggled to put two sides out, played a first team game on a Sunday we had seven men. Someting needs to be done as Ska'd said needs to be played in schools but you find teaching staff do not these days want to spend extra hours taking out of school time practice and matches which in most cases tak place on a Saturday
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Great to see someone highlighting what is still a huge issue re privileged and elite schools and institutions producing certain beneficiaries in various sports. From a huge number of kids that are finding their way in the world, this private/public school group comprise only about 7% of the total and why do their parents invest in this form of education (freedom of choice of course!)? Because they profess that they will have a huge advantage over the rest when it comes to elite sport and elite jobs and it goes hand in hand with the snobby, artificial posh accents that they acquire!! It is not right, it is not fair and equal opps for all kids should be the clarion call esp now that we are well on into the 21st century!! Yet we are still practising this type of divisive two tier educational system that definitely still embraces this form of bias and to the detriment of the many whose talents are either ignored or never nurtured to fruition.
Lord Snooty likes this post
Good second day for England in the last Test, leading by 78 with ten wickets in hand at close, and we got Smith out for less than a century Rolleyes
England wrap up a convincing win to tie a phenomenal Ashes series. Such a shame that if it hadn't been for the rain at Lord's, we'd have been celebrating a World Cup/Ashes double now. But it's been a fantastic summer of international cricket either way.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »