Thread Rating:
Season almost over - who stays and who leaves?
That question includes the manager, Neil Lennon, as Celtic are now on the brink of a "triple treble"! I reckon Celtic will offload about five or six players with Boyata "offsky" as a free agent, Burke definitely not coming back for another loan spell (too many "sitters" scorned incl one shocker today at Ibronx!!!) and a good number of fringe players who are not good enough to "wear the shirt". Also Rogic may well be transferred to English footie for a decent transfer fee. Re Lenny's position, I suspect that Celtic's delay in appointing him indicates that they are looking at other candidates and possibly a "marquee signing" from either England or Europe. We shall see what happens soon enough as Euro quali matches begin in July and there is a lotta work to do in strengthening a diminishing squad of players before the Euro action begins again in earnest.
They won’t need to spend a ton to stay clear favorites in Scotland, but its now about their aspirations in Europe. Problem is, if they did spend 50m or whatever, it will certainly not guarantee anything in the CL, and therefore will the board once again just do enough to keep them ahead in Scotland and hope to get into the CL group stages again?
I think Lennon won't be manager next season and he knows it, and possibly the players do too. Lennons body language suggests he wants to get out of there as soon as the final is over.

Moyes has apparently bought a home in Glasgow....I wonder if he is getting the gig? They have to make an appointment very soon after the final and then they need to rebuild that squad quickly, potentially while the CL qualifiers are going down.

Any manager that gets a Scottish club to the group stages of the CL now has exceeded any expectations. Thats where the terrain is and Celtic would be over the moon to get a coach that can achieve that. Clubs like stoke and Swansea can pick up 80-90 million and get relegated while the Scottish champions pick up buttons. Absolutely no point in Celtic doing anything other spending wise than staying ahead of sevco and continuing their current strategy, going all out on trying to get further in Europe is a crazy dream in todays game and only ends with what happened to the deadco.
0762 likes this post
Good comments and I also suspect that Moyes has already been approached by Desmond and Lawwell and Lenny is fully aware of the situation while being paid handsomely for "seeing out the season".
Slavan Bilic suddenly being mentioned as a poss successor to Brendan Rodgers. I must say I'm unsure re his potential to be a top manager at Celtic Park. Is he a "perfect fit" to improve and strengthen the player squad and recognise the youth dev programme? Not sure.
Celtic already bidding to sign up David Turnbull from M'well with an initial £1.5M offer rejected by MFC . I'm sure this is just a "feeler" and Celtic will "follow on" with a £2M offer that will likely be accepted.
Remember the John mcginn saga ?

Motherwell need to stay solid and make sure they get what the laddie is worth.
(01-06-2019, 11:01)hibeejim21 Wrote: Remember the John mcginn saga ?

Motherwell need to stay solid and make sure they get what the laddie is worth.

Celtic apparently satisfying the £3M asking price for Turnbull and will almost certainly be a Bhoy in the next 48 hours!
Now Turnbull "flip-flops" from Norwich City back to Celtic. Methinks there has been a major "influence" applied by his agent that has actually damaged his standing in the eyes of many Celtic fans! He may not even get a regular slot with Celtic lol!!
Thought he was the stand out player when motherwell played us at fir park last season, took up good positions and knows how to finish. Bags of energy.

Will he get the games though ? Looking at the money they are paying you would assume he is going to be playing.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »