Thread Rating:
CL semi-final 1st leg - Tottenham v Ajax
So "treble" chasing Ajax clash with Spurs tonight and the N London club is without Kane and Son!! What an opportunity for the Amsterdamers to push on to a rare CL final appearance. I hope they do it and the main reason for that is because they are playing a "big money" footie club that occasionally "plunders" young Dutch footie players or young up n coming foreign players (eg Eriksen) who are part of a top quality youth development system. That process normally stunts the Euro progress of the nurturing club but that is the way it is. Even though I like Spurs, it would be "sweet" to see the "tables being turned" by a footie club that has retained its top quality youth players to the point where they are a very good collective unit and formidable opponents!
1-0 to Ajax at full time.

Don’t expect Ajax to pull a Tony Pulis in the 2nd leg. They’ll go out all out attack from the start next week.
turkeydinner likes this post
Yep! After watching this disciplined 0-1 Ajax victory tonight when the Dutch side could well have won it 0-2 or 0-3 on another night, I must say Ajax will "destroy" Spurs defence in Amsterdam based on tonight's observations. Spurs will be hoping this young Ajax side don't really hit top form lol!! As for some of the tetchy "English commentary" on BT Sport - easy solution: TURNED THE VOLUME DOWN!!
Poor performance from Spurs, they badly missed Kane and Son. Trippier was awful and has been for a while. Ajax were very good in the first 35 mins but once Spurs changed formation they did better but had no cutting edge up front and their crossing was poor for the entire game. This tie isn't over, but Spurs will need to improve a lot if they want to get anything out of this.
I think Ajax will actually play much better in the Amsterdam Arena and I'd suggest that if that happens, a potential "pumping" is very possible on what I regard to be a "dodgy" Spurs defence! I was very surprised that the Dutch coach did not target Trippier's position tonight and suspect he will target the full back in this "cauldron" of a stadium next week - can't ignore how "mince" Trippier is performing at the mo and esp at this level.
Ajax strolled it tonight and spurs didn't lay a glove on them, they really should have scored a 2nd goal though. Missed a sitter.

Delle ali is one of the most overrated footballers ever, so typical of the EPL hype.
(01-05-2019, 01:19)hibeejim21 Wrote: Ajax strolled it tonight and spurs didn't lay a glove on them, they really should have scored a 2nd goal though. Missed a sitter.

Delle ali is one of the most overrated footballers ever, so typical of the EPL hype.

I agree about Dele, he hasn't shown his form from last season except on odd occasions all season. Still wouldn't rule him out doing something special but he definitely plays better with Kane ahead of him. Erickson was way off his normal form as well tonight.
I stand by what I said, last week Ajax are just a better side than spurs. They are very resilient, but on the front foot they have the potential to really put a few goals past spurs.
BBC mentioned De Ligt and Blind have made a great defensive partnership this year! Nice reporting, Blind has usually been used at DM

One could mention Spurs missing Harry Kane but Ajax are similarly playing Sven Van der Beek a midfielder up front in the CL, instead of playing the evergreen Klaas jan Hunteleaar or Danish wunderkid Kasper Dolberg
Spurs poss "saving themselves" for an "all or nothing" effort v Ajax next Wednesay and losing 1-0 this afternoon v Bournemouth!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »