Thread Rating:
Phil Neville
Nope it`s not a tribute to the former Toffee`s legend but a reply to one of the most annoying pundits on TV

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45622200

mainly:

"Everton fans are probably starting to realise what life is going to be like under Marco Silva - with their team playing open, expansive football, but conceding goals too."

"They have got some very good players, and I think they are close to being a strong team - but the reason they have been so near yet so far for the past few months is because they lack a really ruthless centre-forward. "

Basically by PN`s assumption Everton never really replaced Lukaku, I think that point is fair but lets be quite honest saying there isn't actually that many players who are that prolific in the EPL with youth on their side, even Messi etc would be a gamble coming into English football
Poor Sandro never got a chance, Rooney I think personally was never given much confidence by any manager since Ferguson hence why he was shifted in all kinds of roles and looked often dejected rather than age or loss of skills/pace.
The main man these days is Cenk Tosun, now not many Turkish strikers have taken the EPL by storm but 27M isn't a snip, he seems to have hit the target a few times last term despite Allardyce`s waving opinion. 27M now if you think Burnley came 7th with 15M Chris Wood of the great footballing country of New Zealand

Everton no longer have a 25 goal striker because of another reason, the huge trend towards 4-3-3 and playing a number 10
This is fine if your number 10 is a withdrawn striker ala Cantona, Bergkamp, Zola, Ozil etc who you know will year upon year reach double figures, there is only Gylfi Sigurdsson who needs at least ten goals plus wingers needing to hit similar numbers otherwise their is huge pressure on a single striker (My main problem with 4-3-3)
Dare I say without Rooney or Klassen they no longer have contingency there it seems either
Personally for all the Iceland man`s talent 4-4-1-1 with Walcott as the second striker running at an opposition defence looks a lot more formidable to me supplemented by Richarlison and Lookman on the wings

Everton are a team in transition now that everyone notice`s , Baines and Jagielka are great players but time is catching up luckily the superb Everton academy is again bringing through quality players to fill those roles
Back in the days before crash TV football where sackings can happen after losing two games a guy called Howard Kendall signed plenty of big names who didn't work out, so Klassen and Williams and the like are nothing new, the golden 80`s Everton side of the 80`s took a bit of time to happen
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »