Thread Rating:
Jeff King
St Mirren have completed the signing of winger Jeff King on a free transfer.

The 22-year-old has been available since being released by Bolton earlier in the summer and has been snapped up by Buddies boss Alan Stubbs.

King made just one appearance in the Sky Bet Championship last season, but also featured in the Carabao Cup and the FA Cup before moving on loan to FC United of Manchester.

“I’d heard about signing for the club a couple of weeks ago but I was on holiday so it’s been frustrating,” King told the club website.

“But I’m buzzing to get it over the line. I’m definitely looking forward to it.

“I had other options on the table, but St Mirren being a big club enticed me and Alan Stubbs being in charge.”

Stubbs added: “It’s been going on for a couple of weeks. He was one of the first ones we had enquired about. It’s another one on board and I’m really happy with it.”

King is the third player to sign on with the club after Josh Heaton and Cody Cooke were confirmed as the Buddies’ first two signings since achieving promotion to the Ladbrokes Premiership.

Heaton, a 21-year-old defender, became the club’s most expensive signing for 25 years – believed to be around £75,000 – after arriving from Darlington, while Cooke joined from Truro. Both players came through the V9 Academy set up by Jamie Vardy.

On the signing of Heaton, who was linked with moves to the Championship in England, Stubbs commented: “It’s a sign of intent and I’d like to thank the board for putting their trust in me.

“You only have to look at the clubs who were wanting to get Josh and to have got him it’s quite a coup.”

Chief executive Tony Fitzpatrick added: “It’s a significant outlay and represents our commitment to Alan and our supporters as we try to build a side that will be competitive in the Premiership.”

http://sport.bt.com/football/st-mirren-s...4279606699
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »