Thread Rating:
Germany WC squad
Really spot on Devongone

Werner I saw described as a poor man`s Dirk Kuyt which was pretty funny, you have all those players like Ozil, Kroos, Muller who can thread a ball and all they did was cross it into the box to a player not built for that kind of game or shoot from outside the box
When they did have a target man in Mario Gomez he is about as mobile as Christian Nade! Stefan Kießling would perhaps been a better bench option (And career ender)

Kimmich was so high up the pitch even Robert Carlos would have got altitude sickness

There still is silly amount of talent in German football
Germany’s real problem areas are right back, right wing and striker.

In my opinion, Mitchell Weiser should be Joshua Kimmich’s back up at right back, Julian Brandt should be used over on the right wing where he was used effectively at Bayer Leverkusen last season with Marius Wolf as his understudy and then Sandro Wagner and Kevin Volland should join Werner as strikers.

In the other positions, Jonathan Tah and Mattias Ginter need to be used more at centre back, Goretzka should replace Khedira as the box-to-box midfielder, Sane and Reus should battle it out for the left wing spot, Bernd Leno should be the third goalkeeper rather than Trapp and Kei Havertz should be brought into the main squad for the number 10 role with Özil missing out, Draxler as his competition.

Germany has some very good young players, Löw has to learn to trust and use them.
turkeydinner, Devongone, 0762 like this post
Neuer WAS the best keeper in the world. In this tournament he struck me as a liability, because he was behaving as though his performance matched his reputation when in fact there was a huge disconnect. Like his team, his movement was ponderous and his handling was unsure. He missed a lot of last season and I'm afraid he should have missed this tournament too - you never had the feeling his defence thought the opposition couldn't get past Neuer.
Aye! I thought Neuer also made the wrong decision in moving upfield to join his forwards in the dying mins of the game v S Korea. It was not gonna happen in this game anyway and IMO he should've held his position instead of negligently doing what he did!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »