Thread Rating:
Europa League KO ties begin v Zenit SP!
Another Euro challenge begins for the Hoops at Celtic Park on Thursday and I can only see Celtic trying to minimise the goals conceded to an acceptable figure! I reckon a 0-2 or 0-3 loss will be a decent score based on Celtic's current form, which has been far from impressive ever since the last Champions League loss v Anderlecht and the demands and rigours of a very testy 'winter season', unwelcome injuries to some very good players and a lengthy fixture list - not ideal! On the other hand, Zenit prep work done in the south of Turkey with a training match v Maribor, a 3-1 win, and no 'signs of rust' from their winter break. Celtic must beware of their star striker, Kokorin, plus a very tricky winger named Rigoni and the marauding ex Chelsea defender, Ivanovic.
Can only see an away win for this one.

Celtic have a lot of injuries and quite frankly they aren't playing very well at the moment and are 'there for the taking'. They look fragile in a way they didn't last season.

I thought rodgers looked a bit 'shell shocked' after the thistle game....its the first time i've seen him look genuinely rattled since he arrived.
I think Rodgers needs to somehow piece together his best available defence but also hope for a speedy return of his very good players like Rogic, Griffiths and Roberts - that would endorse Jock Stein's old philosophy that attack is the best form of defence particularly under the current testy circumstances.
A tricky one but at Parkhead Celtic have shown they can take on almost anybody. Fear is probably going to be a major factor, conquer it and a win is on the cards.
FT, 1-0, and this was a more impressive win than the score line suggests with relentless attacking by the Hoops that was far superior to any of their recent domestic performances. However, only a cracking McGregor goal to show for all that effort and the question arises, 'Will they hold out in the 2nd leg'?
Celtic were excellent the night and should have scored more. Mcgregor and dembele both a constant menace to the russian side, but you get the vibe that zenit have gears to go up and at 0-1 will fancy winning that one. Especially with celtics away record.
Yep! Zenit are a formidable side at home and I got the impression they needed that game 'under their belts' and their current Europa League record tells me they have more to offer in the 2nd leg and, as you say, Celtic's overall Euro away record is woeful with one registered win in years of trying.
2-0 Zenit after 26 mins and Celtic sloppy tonight with their goalie, De Vries, unimpressive on the 2nd goal albeit was a cracking 25 yard shot.
FT 3-0 and another negative away result to add to Celtic's dreadful away record! Also a tactical success for Roberto Mancini who identified the Hoops' strengths from the 1st tie and nullified any threat with apt changes in midfield and pressing wing back positions. Rodgers didn't adapt to this tactic.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »