Thread Rating:
The Hoops break Maley's 100 year old unbeaten record!!!
(14-11-2017, 13:01)hibeejim21 Wrote: Eh ?

The poppy wasn't "extended" in use to other conflicts down the years. It started off as remembrance for the dead and a fund raiser for those who survived the great "world" war. And then that continued when armistice day became remembrance sunday at the end of "world" war 2.  The history of it is on the RBL website. It was never intended to be used every time the UK fucked up in conflicts abroad, so while I get what you are saying about RBL and wanting to help veterans up to today, that shouldn't necessarily be equated with the poppy.

You are twisting my words a bit there Jim!! The RBL website lists the conflicts that it recognizes as part of its Remembrance activities and this has "extended" or as you said "continued" beyond just WW1. It even lists the conflicts that are part of their Remembrance activities, some I hadn't even heard of!! The Poppy is their chosen symbol of Remembrance and the fund raising by the selling of poppies is one of their main sources of income, so there really isn't any way you cannot equate the poppy with the RBL or with the more recent conflicts where UK servicemen have died.

My point all along wasn't about whether we should or shouldn't wear one, thats an individuals choice, it was that the politics of a particular conflict should not diminish the life of any soldier, nor should we forget them just because it was considered by some as an unjust or even illegal war. We can certainly blame the politicians that put us into a particular conflict, but I don't think its right to not honor those who served and died.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »