Thread Rating:
Another unimpressive start to the Euro footie campaign for Scottish clubs!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/40430803
Looking at last night's unimpressive 1-0 win for Rangers v another little known Euro footie minnow from Luxembourg + a 2-1 defeat for Saint Johnstone against a Euro footie side from Lithuania of similar standing and one realises that it is all too familiar as it becomes clear that participating Scottish footie clubs are generally 'out of their depth' at this level and it's a case of how long they will last during the early quali stages of a Euro footie tourney in which they are not gonna progress very far.
I still say that the time we play these qualifiers works against the Scottish sides. We were very unlucky last season and I think the team "ran out of steam" at key points over the 2 games.

Caught a bit of the sevco game and they will get pumped when they meet a half decent side.
(30-06-2017, 12:51)hibeejim21 Wrote: I still say that the time we play these qualifiers works against the Scottish sides. We were very unlucky last season and I think the team "ran out of steam" at key points over the 2 games.

Caught a bit of the sevco game and they will get pumped when they meet a half decent side.

Certainly St Johnstone can claim to be at a disadvantage with the timing as the Lithuanian league is midway through its season, so that really makes it tough for a team who wouldn't normally be even in pre-season training lets alone match ready!! Rangers though were playing a team in the same situation as themselves, although as a team this was the first time they had played together. They got the win and a clean sheet and should progress to the next round but their report will certainly saw "Must do better" in the games to come!!
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/40497360
Shock of shocks and RANGERS BEATEN 2-0 TONIGHT  BY THE 4th BEST TEAM IN LUXEMBOURG!!!Doh Euro elimination in their 1st Euro quali tie and Niederkom's 1st Euro win ever!! Another embarrassment for Scottish footie and Saint Johnstone likely to be the next 'victims' on Thursday!
Hilarious
As predicted, Saint Johnstone beaten 1-0 (agg 3-1) in Lithuania by 10 man Trakei and they join Rangers to be eliminated from the 1st quali round of the Europa League. The 6th of July and two Scottish footie clubs already eliminated and another humbling experience for Scottish footie! Thumb down Lotsa scoring opps, incl two absolute 'sitters' missed, for the Perth Saints but only one chance taken! We are now almost in 'minnow territory' when it comes to Euro footie and qualifying for Euro footie participation in domestic footie is nowt to be celebrated any more!
I doubt SJ will be that bothered,they don't have the squad to play europa games plus league games. Given that they have the second or third lowest turnover in the league survival is their only meaningful target and tommy wright has them punching above their weight on that front.
Tonight's latest unimpressive Euro result - this time Aberdeen 1 Siroki Brijek 1 and the Bosnian side now looking like the favourites to progress to the 3rd round of the Europa League at the expense of a 3rd Scottish footie club! We'll see next week if that Dons' failure will be the next embarrassment for Scottish football.
After a disappointing first leg home draw, it looks like Aberdeen are going to go through courtesy of two second half goals in the away leg. At least the top 2 Scottish teams are progressing one more round!!
Great result for Aberdeen. Chuffed for them!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »