Thread Rating:
Nicola Sturgeon finally begins the process of separation!
(13-03-2017, 15:46)ritchiebaby Wrote: Finally is the most important word there. I'm glad to see she has finally found the courage of her convictions after 9 months of moaning and threatening tactics. When she finally manages to understand the principle that Scotland is not a member of the EU and has no associated rights, I will begin to take her seriously.

As to the proposed referendum, there's no doubt the intransigence will apply to both the Leave and Remain campaigns in Westminster and Holyrood and the deep divisions will once again rise to the surface, after simmering away since the 2014 referendum.

Don't think thats fair. I think sturgeon has tried to seek a compromise and made it clear early on she wants scotland to stay in the single market. A 2nd referendum was in the SNP manifesto if there was 'material change' and no one in their right mind can say thats not the case now. A white paper was produced outlining a way forward. May on the other hand ignored it and has treated the devolved nations with complete contempt,ignoring her promise on a 'uk wide solution'.

Mays criticised the arguments for Scottish independence from the UK, while using the same arguments for Britain leaving the EU. The blame for this lies with farage,boris and the rest of the bonkers brexiteers who were warned what this would mean to northern ireland and scotland.
Your last para says it all Jim and that's precisely why I previously called May a hypocrite and wondered if she actually thought about what she was uttering before 'opening her trap' and coming out with her hypocritical comments against Sturgeon and the SNP. Of course she was never a staunch EU 'leaver' anyway and I regard her as nothing more than a political opportunist who couldn't resist the 'lure' of becoming a UK PM 'through the back door'!! She certainly is not anything close to being a 'heavyweight politician' in the true sense of the word and in fact there are very few of these reputable individuals in Westminster anyway - a lost breed!!
Listening to Cruella's comments in parliament today re article 50 activation and she remarked that the UK gov was, 'Working closely with the devolved governments' and immediately shouted down by MPs on the devolved gov benches - says it all for me and who do I believe is being accurate re past events/negotiations? Most certainly Nicola Sturgeon!! Intransigence prevails! I also can't believe that this Tory govt has a majority hold in parliament - clearly due to certain political circumstances but it 'beggars belief' and IMO it's time for Scotland to GTF away from this 'lot' once and for all but time it when these 'incompetents' finally f### it up on the brexit front!!
Personally I wouldn't believe any of them being accurate!!!! They all give the truth from their perspective only.
That's why I term most MPs these days as shameless b####### esp after watching and listening to their anti Scotland rhetorical shit in 2014 when the Scottish population was subjected to the biggest anti Scot indy propaganda campaign ever seen since similar events in Europe during the 1930s - shocking and shameless in good old democratic Disunited Britain and never forgotten by many disenfranchised Scots! I've more trust in Sturgeon, who has sincere interests in Scotland's positive future, than any of these morons at Westminster TBF! I just wish more Scots would start 'smelling the coffee' and stop putting down my country using various emotive reasons rather than reasons with substance attached to them!!! The 'mood' up here is definitely changing and Sturgeon knows it is just the start of another 'push' towards separation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-sc...s-39263613
May really showed herself up today. You'd have to be thick or very wealthy to get behind that millionaire crone. Of course the brexiteers will find out the hard way when the drawbridge gets pulled up on them by the tories. It doesn't have to be that way for us.

For her to accuse anyone of being divisive and using politics as a game was very,very funny. The tories have guided us to this point and I think Nicola has played a blinder,pretty much undermining mays negotiations before they begin.
0762 likes this post
Hear hear Jim! That's why there have been so many vilified remarks against Sturgeon from the usual alarmed pro Union 'suspects' in the past 24 hours - caught unaware by a Scottish leader (in the true sense of the word!) who is indeed 'playing a blinder'!
senior EU figure elmer brok told the bbc earlier that scotland would need to re-apply to the EU but that negotiations would be straightforward as we meet the criteria and our legislation is fully compatible with the EU legally.

The BBC interviewers face fell and she quickly moved on.
0762 likes this post
(15-03-2017, 01:20)hibeejim21 Wrote: senior EU figure elmer brok told the bbc earlier that scotland would need to re-apply to the EU but that negotiations would be straightforward as we meet the criteria and our legislation is fully compatible with the EU legally.

I don't see why Scotland couldn't gain entry when you look at some of the other countries that have been admitted!! But the one problem might be Spain, who came out during the last referendum against Scotland getting in and threatened to use its veto to stop it. Their objection of course is Catalan and the Basque region due to their "desire" for independence and how an independent Scotland might spur them on further. But whether Spain would actually go through with the threat is another topic.
(15-03-2017, 02:01)St Charles Owl Wrote:
(15-03-2017, 01:20)hibeejim21 Wrote: senior EU figure elmer brok told the bbc earlier that scotland would need to re-apply to the EU but that negotiations would be straightforward as we meet the criteria and our legislation is fully compatible with the EU legally.

I don't see why Scotland couldn't gain entry when you look at some of the other countries that have been admitted!!  But the one problem might be Spain, who came out during the last referendum against Scotland getting in and threatened to use its veto to stop it.  Their objection of course is Catalan and the Basque region due to their "desire" for independence and how an independent Scotland might spur them on further.  But whether Spain would actually go through with the threat is another topic.

Well from the headlines you would believe that. But the devil is in the detail. Spanish officials have always stressed the differences between the catalonia situation and scotland's. Legally they don't come close. For instance the Spanish constitution is based on indissolvable unity. We don't have that hurdle to overcome here.

Also perspective SCO. Spain's foreign policy is based very much on EU unity. In 2014 they were coming to the aid of a fellow EU state against secessionists. In 2019 or 2020 the situation will be a markedly different one. I notice their objections for instance to independent Balkan states seems to have died off....even though they were vehemently against recognising them not so long ago.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »