Thread Rating:
For 7 Golden Globes read 2 French Hens
Just saw La La Land.

In case you were in danger of falling for the hype about an old fashioned movie ........... DON'T!

The opening is spectacular, but nothing else comes close to matching it.

Emma Stone is a lovely, lovely actress, but she can't dance worth a damn and sings like a corncrake. Ryan Gosling is a good actor, can neither sing nor dance, learnt to play the piano in twelve weeks, but clearly doesn't play it here, and when it comes to charm neither Cary, nor even Hugh Grant needs worry. These two clearly are not Fred and Ginge.

The story line deliberately stretches credibility, but sluggish direction sometimes stews its intended charm in the pot. The will-girl-and-boy-get-their-dreams-and-each-other line is quite engaging, but the pace all too often is allowed to drop especially when somebody essays the too-often repeated dirge City of Stars. But as Emma was whispering it I was longing to yell, "Sing out Gypsy!" ...... until she did and all the right notes scurried off set quicker than Eric Morecambe could slap Ernie's face.

It isn't the worst film I've ever seen by a long chalk. Lots of it was lightly enjoyable, but if the cinema is booked out don't be going down with a conniption fit. It might touch the odd punter, but I've cried more at a cartoon version of Beauty and The Beast featuring Angela Lansbury as a teapot.

But if you love lingering shots of cities lit-up by night, this is the film for you.
Yeah,i'm not into musicals particularly.

A lot of people are feeling pretty miserable the now so I can see this doing well.
I'm not into musicals either, but this isn't one. It's a film with some music.

You're supposed to get the feel-good factor, and it really isn't there.
Saw 'hell or high water' earlier....very good movie.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »