Thread Rating:
The Road to Wembley
It may have only been the first Sunday in August but on Sun 7th of August the FA cup kicked off for the season at my local club AFC Emley where they hosted Barnsley based Atherton Recreation in a Extra Preliminary Round match, this game would've been held on the Saturday but had to be moved due to the cricket....no they're not massive England cricket fans it's just the Emley cricket team had a home game on Saturday and part of the outfield is the Emley football pitch and it's not a good idea having a man out on he boundary getting tackled by the big centre half.

A good crowd turned up of 319, many from Athersley and they won't have been disappointed in what they saw in the first half with underdogs Athersley going in at half time leading 0-1 despite also having a penalty saved when the keeper guessed the right way, it has to be said the lad didn't place it very well but he certainly hit it with plenty of power.
Second half Emley were much better but still struggled to break through until some sublime skill from Jerome who twisted and turned in the box to beat 2 or 3 men and unleash a thunderbolt across the keeper and into the far top corner of the goal(I'll try and find a video of it). Emley tails were up now and Athersley looked to be defending deeper but as 90mins approached last seasons top scorer Ashley Flynn (73goals) wriggled free into the box and dinked it over the keeper to grab a winner for Emley and the £1500 prize money for winning at this stage.
Lord Snooty likes this post
It is not that long since they played West Ham
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

It's going back a few years now, plenty of Town fans were down at Upton Park that day
Is it the same club? The old Emley got too big for the village and moved to Wakefield, becoming known as Wakefield & Emley.
If memory serves me right, the villagers weren't happy and reformed as AFC Emley.
Whatever happened to Wakefield & Emley though, I don't know.

Just looked at Wikipedia. Wakefield were wound up in 2014.

I went to the FA Cup replay they played at Leeds Road. It was a 4-3 win aet against Lincoln City which led to that famous match down at West Ham.
I went to the Lincoln replay as well, I can also remember watching them lose 0-3 at Leeds Road in front of over 9000 verses Bolton.

It's a great little club, it just gets a little cold up there in the middle of winter. They missed out on promotion last season in the play off final but they will be looking to rectify that this season. I'd encourage anyone to nip along if your first team isn't playing, nice little club house to warm yourselves up in at half time as well
Quick update.

AFC Emley go to Maine Rd FC in the Preliminary Round.

Maine Rd FC were formed in 1955 as 'City Supporters Rusholme' hence the current connection with Man City in the club name, they play in the North West Counties Premier League and last season averaged 112.

They beat Nostell Miners Welfare(Wakefield based club) in a replay 3-2 after drawing at home 3-3 in the initial fixture to set up a home tie with Emley on Sat 20th August, unfortunately I won't be able to attend as I'll be at the Town v Barnsley fixture but I'll try and keep up to date with the Emley Twitter account
They play about a quarter of a mile away from where our nephew lives. I'll tell him to walk over and give us a report.
WakeyTerrier likes this post
The road to Wembley ends here for AFC Emley, beaten 3-2 on Saturday at Maine Rd FC.
Maine Rd FC went in at half time 1-0 to the good but 3 minutes after half time Ashley Flynn bagged a equaliser for Emley but it wasn't to e Emleys day as MRFC stormed into a 3-1 league and even had the luxury of missing a pen before Liam Schofield pulled one back in the final minutes.
Maine Rd FC reward is a away tie at Burscough in the next round
Maine Road lost 4-3
WakeyTerrier likes this post
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

And as a result Burscough travel to the Handsworth Parramore....nope I've never heard of them either
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »