Thread Rating:
Jason Roberts
Black managers are finding it harder than ever to get a job in football, according to Jason Roberts.

discussion?

Sadly I dont think it anything to do with race or ethnicity but rather Black players simply have not gone into management or coaching

If you look at the early mid/eighties and black players who stood out-Cyrille Regis, Garth Crooks, Brendan Batson, Justin Fashanu, Paul Davis, Laurie Cunningham, Gary Thompson, Mark Walters, Franz Carr, Dave Bennett there is probably only John Barnes and Viv Anderson who actually went into managing

I also hardly ever see the mention of Chris Hughton or Jean Tigana mentioned in these statistics that get brought out both succesful coaches

Personally there should be more Black coaches and managers but how many players have gone into it after retiring? Les Ferdinand, Patrick Viera and Chris Powell yes but Ian Wright? Andy Cole? Dwight Yorke? Carlton Palmer? I think it will right itself in time.
Maybe we should also be asking why there are so few Englishmen at the top of the english game, both players and managers!!! I have no problem with their being 100% black manager or conversely 0%, my only stipulation is that the best candidate for the job is chosen and not someone to satisfy any bogus quota!! As you say TD, it will eventually work itself out!!
Oh there at it again

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29484593

I`m sure it`ll even out but BBC just love stirring the pot with these kind of issues
Lets be honest before we label all clubs racist how many Oriental managers have we ever had? How many Iranian? Arabic ? Indian? Or are we only focusing on Black?

Sadly It seems with the BBC that by perhaps 2020 they wont be happy until the EPL is filled with Multi-ethnic and BEM , multi-cultural and relgious diversity and perhaps Gay/Lesbian/Bi and male/female transgender managers of all ages from 16 to 80.

If we want to talk about racism how many members of the royal family are Black, dual heritage or Oriental? Cant say the last time I saw a Mr Patel or a Mr Li at a Foxhunt either
I understand the meaning behind the Rooney Rule but I am not sure it has resulted in any more black coaches in the NFL!! It does give some candidates the opportunity to impress in an interview when they may not get their chance without it but as long as the best candidate is chosen I have no problem with it. I would prefer to see a rule in to see younger coaches interviewed so that we get rid of some of the same old tired managers that keep doing the rounds!!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »