Thread Rating:
What's Wrong With Chelsea?
Mourinho's gone mad?

Chelsea's pre-season was too short?

John Terry and Ivanovic simultaneously contracted an ageing virus and could now no longer hold down a place at Colchester (were it even offered)?

Those who've read my opinions before might not be surprised by this ................

Chelsea replaced a good keeper, Cech with an excellent keeper, Courtois. Their defence stood firm, they won the League.

This season, they sold Cech, replaced him with a good keeper the players haven't played with before. Courtois, one of the best three keepers in the world, immediately got a serious injury. Terry knows he is getting old. He relies on knowing what's going on, reading the game, leading his team. This keeper is a change, the relationship isn't there. Minor doubts, become major uncertainties, goals begin to leak. It spirals downwards. It isn't specifically the keeper's fault, or Terry's, but unless their relationship builds and each grows confidence in the other then the results will barely improve. And if confidence at centre back remains low, then Ivanovic's weaknesses will continue to be exposed (he always made the odd mistake, but 10 goals a season from full back covers a lot of errors, as does a confident centre back).

What's wrong with Chelsea? They sold their cover in goal exactly when their captain needed it most. Courtois would cure the defence, because he'd cure Terry, which would in turn lift Mourinho's depression. Unless and until he can get his centre backs and keeper working as a confident unit, he'll have a struggling team with some brilliant players and tinkering with it won't matter ......
Some great points there and no doubt the loss of Courtois has hurt them, but for me there is one other issue. In the summer they did not strengthen the team, you always strengthen a winning team, make it better. Biggest hole for me is their lack of a world class striker, because Costa is not that man IMO. They lack a Suarez, Aguero or Lewondowski (?) and that means more and more pressure on an aging defense and weaker keeper.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »