Thread Rating:
Worst Scottish referee
I guess that as a Hearts fan you wont be struggling to guess who gets my vote.  Many Jambos feel Collum is biased against us.  I dont, I think he is simply useless.  Watching Sportscene he just seems to make howler after howler with no apparent comeback from his employer.

I'm interested, therefore, to know if fans from other clubs agree that he is the worst we have or to hear your views on who should get that dubious award.
I think you're right in that it's generally a case of refs just getting it wrong rather than anyone being biased. Collum's very highly rated in European and international football though so sometimes I wonder if it's just that we have different standards here in Scotland from everywhere else. One thing I'll say is that with Rangers coming through the lower leagues it's been an eye opener experiencing how poor some of the refs who don't get top level matches can be.
I've a simple theory re this issue: Scotland is a small country; a small number of people in the country are interested in refereeing footie matches and progressing to a higher level of refereeing. Hence the general standard would naturally be poor and that is indeed the case!
My nomination for the worst referee but IMO a biased one as well is Craig Thomson, a Scottish referee of whom certain Hibs fans have carried out the equivalent of a research study of his ref misdemeanours in Hibs matches that covers a period of approx. 10 years. The results are damning and raise other questions re the way the refereeing system in Scotland should be run! Ref incompetence is an issue but I think the SFA should naturally introduce a formal mandatory ref declaration similar to the one currently operated by the English FA. It would be a formal declaration of any football team that any Scottish ref supports or has a significant interest in. That info would then be used when assigning football matches to the group of recognised Scottish refs and done to ensure impartiality prevails as much as possible.
0762 He gave you a pen on Friday night lol.

Collum without a shadow is THE worse ref in Scotland he is horrific,he's no there to ref he's there for everyone to watch.
I think Thomson's recent form has improved Fredster! I also think he got another 'huge decision' wrong on Friday night by not red-carding Falkirk's McCracken in the same pen incident for a deliberate last man trip on James Keatings, thereby stopping a goal scoring opportunity!! Thumb down McCracken knew exactly what he was doing and the look on his face said it all - he expected a red card and didn't f###### well receive it!!!! The current FIFA rule is explicit re that type of incident and remember the same referee, Thomson, sent off Celtic's, Efe Ambrose, in a recent League Cup semi-final in IMO a lesser incident than that McCracken one!!!!! Thumb down Thomson has always been 'cute' on the 'big incidents' when it comes to Hibs matches and that has been well noted and chronicled by certain Hibs fans down the years! Hibs meagre record of wins under his stewardship, that covers approx a ten year period, is absolutely astounding and worthy of criticism and query!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »