Thread Rating:
John Guidetti loan....
SFA and SPFL appeal to Fifa over Celtic's move for John Guidetti. The SFA and SPFL are in the process of contacting football's world governing body Fifa to ask for dispensation to register John Guidetti at Celtic.
The SPFL is satisfied that all the paperwork was in order but as it was filed after midnight on deadline day, a case is now being made for the deal to be allowed to proceed.
Celtic attempted to sign the Manchester City forward on loan on Monday night.
The 22-year-old is in the final year of his deal at the Etihad Stadium.
A joint statement from the SFA and SPFL read: "The SPFL had a 23:00 transfer deadline in place for registrations while the Scottish FA had a midnight deadline.
"At 22:56, the SPFL received a request from Celtic FC to extend the SPFL deadline for registration of John Guidetti to fall in line with the Scottish FA midnight deadline. The SPFL agreed to this request.

Sounds like a bit of jiggery pokery in favour of Celtic to me, but such is life thee days. Tongue
I think he'll be a sensational signing for them
Makes you wonder what the point of a deadline is if a club that doesn't submit the necessary paperwork for a transfer before that deadline is going to be allowed to make the signing after the close of the transfer window anyway.

You also have to wonder if Celtic are still using a 28.8kbps modem judging by the apparent time it took them to carry out the upload of a simple document. Either that or...well, surely it's not possible that the powers that be at the SFA are lying about the timing? Nah, couldn't be...
There is one or two of these cases every transfer deadline day, and it nearly always involves faxes and paperwork. To be fair to Celtic, this one looks more like a cock-up at Man City rather than Parkhead.
The FA allows clubs to submit paperwork after the 11pm deadline, but only if they submit a separate piece of paperwork in the 2 hours prior to the deadline, and only if the full paperwork is received by 1am of the following day or an hour earlier if it's an international transfer. The latter is because it's mandatory for FIFA's transfer system to receive the information by that time in order to be ratified. As far as I know the SFA has no such provisions in place, and the paperwork due from Celtic didn't arrive until after midnight (it also missed the SPFL's deadline of 11pm, but the SPFL agreed to waive its own deadline 'just because') so there was no legitimate transfer during the window.

I expect FIFA, just as the SFA and SPFL did, to ignore its own deadline restrictions and allow the transfer. My point is that these deadlines only appear to apply when and where it suits. If it's OK to come up with any old excuse to circumvent them - and let's face it, clubs could come up with all manner of reasons why paperwork was unexpectedly delayed for reasons outwith their control - then why bother setting them the way they do in the first place? I mean, it was pretty much known that Celtic were taking this player on loan for several days, but Celtic intentionally leave it very late with some of their transfer dealings to try to gain the most advantageous terms, though they're far from the only ones who do this among clubs and players. This time they were stung by it because something unexpected popped up and caught them out.

As far as I'm concerned a deadline should mean a deadline, and players and clubs should make sure they take care of their business well in advance to ensure they have time to deal with any unexpected details. If they then fail to make that deadline it's their own fault.
I have to say, putting this one aside, in this day and age with the technology available there should be no reason why the deadlines cannot be met. The respective FAs should have a representative attached to each club for this day to make sure everything is done properly!!
(04-09-2014, 03:35)St Charles Owl Wrote: I have to say, putting this one aside, in this day and age with the technology available there should be no reason why the deadlines cannot be met. The respective FAs should have a representative attached to each club for this day to make sure everything is done properly!!

Of course.there's a reason why deadlines are missed when they rely on faxes, when are they going to step into the twenty first century, it's madness things of such importance are left to such an antiquated form of technology, what if the FA's fax machine jams or runs out of paper, no other business would tolerate it.
I'm pretty sure Huddersfield were interested in signing him a couple of years ago.
Well its three days past the deadline and he's not eligible for the Europa either. As much as I don't care one way or tuther, the rules were the rules in respect of kicking out the Polish side that hammered them and accidentally fielded an illegible player for 3 minutes.
If it is granted then we know once and for all there is a rule for most clubs and another for teams that have a man on the board.
Superb player would take the spl apart
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »