Thread Closed 
Thread Rating:
Money, money, money!! The 2015-16 Push to the Premier League - Act 1: Summer 2015
(21-04-2015, 01:19)St Charles Owl Wrote: For me both these guys bring a lot of experience of English football and will provide a fresh set of eyes on everything the club does, that should be a good thing!!  It does look like SG will remain in his post for the time being but I am sure the goals he is set will be expected to be achieved immediately now.    Didn't like Roeder as a player but he I would be he has better contacts in the game than SG has, so lets use that as well.  Surrounding SG with better coaches as well should be the next move, John Deehan is almost invisible as a coach and Bullen is a defensive coach like SG himself.  Someone with a strikers background is very much needed.

We are setting up in many ways like the model Johan Cruyff set up at Ajax & Barcelona. The Football Board select the players which aids continuity. Ideally they should expand by another two members (to five) because everything can be lost with just three if one leaves. The Board should also set the playing philosophy so that the Head Coach cannot change to his preferred tactics when the Club has already chosen its method of play which runs right throughout the Club.

This method allows the Club to dispose of the Head Coach with little loss of continuity because the philosophy, tactics and players were selected by the Club and not the Head Coach (although he has a say in it). Personally, I would add two people who are steeped in Wednesday history to make the Player Selection Board up to five. May I suggest Peter Shirtliff & Chris Waddle or at least people of similar standing at SWFC.

Not sure what John Deehan adds and think Lee Bullen is largely there because he is a Wednesday hero. We lack imagination in our play and rarely do anything inventive from free kicks and corners. We tried one from a corner about three months ago where Maguire came from deep to shot from 20 yards and when SG was asked about it, he said, "It was something Maguire came up with on Thursday in training so decided to give it a go." Why wasn't SG & his coaching team coming up with any corner routines?

Wednesday announce that Paul Aldridge will be leaving at the end of next season.
Statesideowl likes this post
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
John Deehan used to be a (decent) forward so I would expect that he is supposed to be helping our forwards  Thumb up He doesn't appear to be doing a very good job of it though   Doh

As for your comments about the corner MS, it says everything we need to know about SG and his "don't lose" philosophy  Angry Too much time spent coaching the defensive side of games and hoping something might happen up front.

Stuart Gray  Doh Football's answer to Alistair Cook  Laugh
Statesideowl likes this post
and complicated
I know this is about the future but 24 years ago today we were all in a ecstatic state (except for young Thurnscoe)

[Image: post-61-0-82642000-1349172637.jpg]
Statesideowl, Towinjustonce, Thurnscoe_OWL And 1 others like this post
Nothing great will ever be achieved without great men, and men are great only if they are determined to be so. For glory gives herself only to those who have always dreamed of her.
Bullen is assistant manager because he was the cheap option as he is also head of the youth set up. The fact he is a wednesday hero is pure coincidence IMO

not to say Bullen is a bad option, I'd imagine that when asked he'd be able to get our players up for a game Thumb up

We do need another 3/4 coaches in though to take the strain from Bullen who has 3 full time jobs (assistant coach, youth boss, estate agent), SG who runs everything defensive ad attacking and Deehan who I think is stealing a living Doh
Removed until we're actually on our way back  Doh
We're all seemingly in agreement that we need further re-structuring. Hopefully these gentlemen are just building blocks in our first phase of development. They may even surprise us all, creating synergy around the club.. Wink

Nice one Kev, I forgot how ugly Phil King was
"The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject." Marcus Aurelius
we definitely need restructuring.

I'm happy to have 2 new attacking coaches doing that stuff and SG and Bullen to stay and do defensive stuff and SG find some sort of equilibrium and put it all together
(21-04-2015, 14:43)Thurnscoe_OWL Wrote: Bullen is assistant manager because he was the cheap option as he is also head of the youth set up. The fact he is a wednesday hero is pure coincidence IMO

not to say Bullen is a bad option, I'd imagine that when asked he'd be able to get our players up for a game Thumb up

We do need another 3/4 coaches in though to take the strain from Bullen who has 3 full time jobs (assistant coach, youth boss, estate agent), SG who runs everything defensive ad attacking and Deehan who I think is stealing a living Doh

As I recall at the time there was a bit of flack flying around so appointing a Wednesday hero helped to get the fans on side.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
He was already the youth coach though. There's bigger wednesday heroes out there who would have got every fan eating from Milan's hand (hirsty, waddle etc)
(21-04-2015, 16:51)Thurnscoe_OWL Wrote: He was already the youth coach though. There's bigger wednesday heroes out there who would have got every fan eating from Milan's hand (hirsty, waddle etc)

...but as you say, Bullen was already there so he cost less and it didn't just look like a token "give it to a hero" appointment whereas someone like Hirsty or Waddle would have got the cynics tapping their keyboards.
I'm feeling a bit more reassured after this statement by Roeder.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/04/2...e=Facebook

This should remove the option for SG to re-sign his favourites, and put him where we all feel he is better placed. Coaching!!
"The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject." Marcus Aurelius
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Thread Closed