Thread Rating:
SWFC Goalscorers since 2005 - After Millwall 2/18/2024
penalties and tap ins don't count  Big Grin
Removed until we're actually on our way back  Doh
(01-03-2015, 15:23)Thurnscoe_OWL Wrote: penalties and tap ins don't count  Big Grin

Seriously, tap ins count because it is a quality being in the right spot but penalties do distort figures.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
(01-03-2015, 10:33)madsteve Wrote:
(28-02-2015, 23:23)St Charles Owl Wrote: Goals are goals no matter how they are scored!!  I will try to add in brackets the number of pens if I can find that stat easily enough!!

Also, being the penalty taker and scoring them takes a certain amount of balls, something that should be rewarded rather than discounted, especially as a lot of players won't take them!!

Whilst I agree it takes balls, penalties should be shown separately as they distort the figures. When I played, I took penalties, it wasn't because I had balls, it was because it bumped my goals total up and made me look better. If you miss one, people soon forget it but at the end of the season five penalties can lift your total goals from 18 to 23 & get you the Top Goalscorer trophy.

Maguire made a big thing about being top scorer last season but it was only because he took penalties and again this season Maguire (2), Nuhui (2) & Keane have all benefited. From memory, McLean got loads of penalties.

When I played up front I refused the penalty kicks so that the others had a chance of catching me in the top scorers table  Whistle 

Come to think of it, when I played Left Back I also refused the penalty kicks so that others could keep up with me in the goal scoring table  Cool

As for 'tap-ins'  Angry I refused to score from inside the penalty area unless I had beaten at least 5 men  Angry  a proper goal has to be from at least 25 yards  Thumb up and for that extra bit of class, clip the apex of the the bar and goal post on its way in Thumb up
and complicated
List updated with Maguire's goal from last night, so he joins Nuhiu on 17.
Where's Barry's latest  Huh

It's not as though its a big job to update the goals that we actually score each game Whistle

Cool
and complicated
There you go!! Tongue
Stevie May gets our goal today, so moves up the charts.
(15-03-2015, 05:49)St Charles Owl Wrote: Stevie May gets our goal today, so moves up the charts.

So PEI's love grandchild has now drawn level with Coke but is still one behind the legendary JOC  Whistle
and complicated
Updated after the game at Rovrum. Nuhiu moves level with Brunty and Antonio, and Lee & Lavery both draw level with Franny Jeffers!!!!
wow!! FJ9 was prolific Doh
Removed until we're actually on our way back  Doh
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »