Thread Rating:
Lester News
Newly relegated Leicester have signed England internationals Conor Coady and Harry Winks on three-year deals.

Defender Coady, 30, arrives after eight years at Wolves while midfielder Winks, 27, joins from Tottenham Hotspur.

Both players, each capped 10 times, move for undisclosed amounts although Winks' fee is reported to be about £10m and Coady's £8.5m.

They become Enzo Maresca's first signings as Foxes boss since he took over at the Championship club in June.

All your Leicester City news and views
Each player had become surplus to requirements at their Premier League clubs, with centre-back Coady spending last season on loan at Everton, while Winks enjoyed a similar spell in Italy with Sampdoria.

Former Wolves captain Coady made 317 appearances for Wanderers and was included in England's squad for both Euro 2020 and the 2022 World Cup, although he did not play at either tournament.

He made his final Wolves appearance in May 2022 before a surprise loan move to the Toffees, playing 24 times as they avoided relegation at Leicester's expense.

"It's such an exciting place to be, I'm massively excited about joining so it wasn't a hard decision," Coady told the club website.

Winks, meanwhile, had been at Spurs since the age of five, making 203 appearances in all competitions since his debut in 2014.

He makes the switch from north London just three days after James Maddison sealed a £40m move in the opposite direction.

"I'm looking forward to a new challenge and to challenge myself," Winks said on the Leicester site. "Coming to a club like Leicester is the perfect chance to do that."

Winks played 128 Premier League games for Tottenham and was among their starting line-up for the 2019 Champions League final defeat by Liverpool.

But he slipped down Spurs' pecking order in recent seasons and his most recent England cap came in 2020.

Meanwhile, forward Nathan Opoku has joined Belgian side OH Leuven on a season-long loan, the Foxes announced later on Saturday.

The 21-year-old spent the second half of last season with OHL and scored three goals in seven league appearances.

After being relegated from the top flight on the final day of last season, Leicester begin their Championship campaign at home to Coventry City on Sunday, 6 August.
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Leicester City faces a fine of up to £880,000 for colluding to fix the price of replica football kits, the UK's competition regulator has said.

The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) said the club and retailer JD Sports had admitted to anti-competitive behaviour, including "price fixing conduct".

It said both broke competition law between 2018 and 2021 with an illegal deal on clothing sales.

The club has accepted the CMA findings.

The 2015-16 Premier League champions, and their parent companies, have subsequently agreed to pay a fine up to the maximum penalty of £880,000, the CMA said.

JD Sports will avoid a fine after reporting the illegal activity.

JD Sports sign
IMAGE SOURCE,PA MEDIA
Image caption,
JD Sports said it signed a leniency agreement with the CMA last month
The provisional findings of a CMA investigation revealed that, in August 2018, JD Sports said it would stop selling Leicester City-branded clothing online for the 2018-19 season, and in January 2019, JD Sports agreed it would "not undercut" the club in terms of online sales for the following season by making Leicester City items exempt from free delivery.

It said JD Sports continued the agreement to sell all Leicester City clothing with the delivery charge until at least January 2021.

Michael Grenfell, the CMA's executive director of enforcement, said: "Strong and unimpeded competition between retailers is essential to consumers' ability to shop around for the best deals.

"Football fans are well-known for their loyalty towards their teams.

"In this case we have provisionally found that Leicester City FC and JD Sports colluded to share out markets and fix prices with the result that fans may have ended up paying more than they would otherwise have done.

"Both parties have now admitted their involvement, allowing us to bring the investigation to a swift conclusion.

"The fine that Leicester City FC and its parent companies have agreed to pay sends a clear message to them and other businesses that anti-competitive collusion will not be tolerated."

'Steps taken'
The club, which was relegated to the Championship last season, stressed none of its current directors or senior management were involved in the arrangements.

"These arrangements related to a limited number of bulk orders by JD Sports, which were accepted by the club's retail sales team over the relevant period," it said in a statement.

"There was no intention on the part of the club to unlawfully restrict the resale of the goods supplied and no material financial advantage to be gained from doing so, given the limited amount of kit supplied to JD Sports.

"However, the club accepts the CMA's findings and has taken steps to strengthen its training and compliance measures to ensure the club's retail operations fully comply with competition law."

JD Sports also said no current or former directors or senior management of JD were involved in the offending conduct and that it signed a leniency agreement with the CMA last month.

The company added: "JD has taken a number of steps to strengthen its competition compliance programme and the board reaffirms its commitment to making the necessary resource available, internal and external, to ensure that this is embedded into its daily operations."

The announcement come almost a year after JD Sports, its rival Elite Sports and Rangers Football Club were handed fines over price fixing on replica kits.

Former Manchester City and Chelsea goalkeeper Willy Caballero has joined Leicester City as assistant manager.

Caballero, who joins from Southampton, will work alongside boss Enzo Maresca.

The 41-year-old former Argentina international won the Champions League, Europa League and FA Cup with Chelsea and the League Cup with City.

Caballero becomes the fifth addition to Maresca's backroom before their Championship opener against Coventry on 6 August.

Maresca, who became Leicester manager in June following their relegation from the Premier League, was a team-mate of Caballero's at Malaga.

Maresca has already brought in first-team coach Danny Walker, goalkeeper coach Michele de Bernardin, fitness coach Marcos Alvarez and analyst Javier Molina Caballero.

Leicester City have signed Danish keeper Mads Hermansen from Brondby on a five-year deal for an undisclosed fee.

The 23-year-old has been a regular in Brondby's side for the past two seasons and helped them win the Danish top-flight in 2021.

Hermansen said he was "very proud" to join the Foxes - a move that is subject to English Football League and international clearance.

He will join compatriot Daniel Iversen at the King Power Stadium this season.

Iversen played the last two months of 2022-23 in goal in place of Wales' Danny Ward, as Leicester failed to avoid relegation from the Premier League.

"Leicester is a very big club. It has so much potential," Hermansen said.

"I really like to be on the ball. I like to play and be, as much as I can, in the game."

Hermansen joins Manchester City loanee Callum Doyle and England internationals Conor Coady and Harry Winks at the Foxes as new boss Enzo Maresca plots an immediate return to the top flight.

Leicester City have signed striker Stephy Mavididi from French club Montpellier for an undisclosed fee.

The 25-year-old has agreed a five-year contract at the King Power Stadium, just six days before Sunday's opening game of the season against Coventry.

Mavididi scored 21 goals in 91 league appearances for Montpellier after joining them from Juventus in 2020.

"Speaking to the manager and some of the staff here, it was a no-brainer for me," he told the club website.

"Obviously the size and history of the club speaks for itself, the training ground, the stadium.

"Personally, I wanted to come back to England, I felt like it was time to come home and continue my football here."

Mavididi - a former England youth international - is Leicester's fifth signing in the wake of their relegation from the Premier League, following Harry Winks, Conor Coady,Callum Doyle and goalkeeper Mads Hermansen.

As well as Montpellier, he also played for Dijon in Ligue 1 in 2019-20 and last season set a new appearance record for an English player in France's top flight, beating Chris Waddle's 107 for Marseille.

Leicester City have signed Italy Under-20 international Cesare Casedei on loan for the rest of the season from Premier League club Chelsea.

The 20-year-old midfielder joined the Blues from Inter Milan in August 2022 and has not yet broken into the first team at Stamford Bridge.

Casedei spent the second half of last season on loan in the Championship with Reading, scoring once in 15 games.

The Foxes have started the Championship season with two wins out of two.

Casedei said he felt "really good" about his move to the King Power Stadium and "can't wait to get started".

"Obviously, Leicester is a big team so I'm here to win and to do as well as possible to fight and to work hard for this team," he said.

Fulham have signed Belgium full-back Timothy Castagne from Leicester on a four-year deal.

Castagne, 27, departs Leicester after three seasons at the King Power Stadium.

He has joined the Cottagers for an undisclosed fee until the summer of 2027, with an option to extend his deal by a further 12 months.

"It's been a long transfer window, but finally I'm here, and I'm happy to be here," Castagne told FFCtv.

"It's a big relief. I've talked to the manager and I just can't wait to start training and playing."

The Belgium international made 112 appearances for Leicester, scoring five goals, and featured 37 times in the Premier League last term as they suffered relegation from the Premier League.

Castagne has not played under new Leicester manager Enzo Maresca this campaign and returns to the top flight with Fulham.

The former Atalanta and Genk defender is Marco Silva's fourth addition to the senior squad this summer, following the arrivals of Adama Traore, Raul Jimenez and Calvin Bassey.

Fulham's vice chairman Tony Khan said: "I'm excited to welcome Timothy Castagne to Fulham.

"He's a versatile and very talented defender with great experience in the Premier League and international competition for Belgium.

"I'm pleased that Timothy has committed to a four-year contract with us, and we believe that he'll be an excellent addition to Marco's squad."

Castagne could make his Premier League debut for Fulham in Saturday's trip to Manchester City.

Leicester have signed Ghana winger Abdul Fatawu on a season-long loan from Sporting Lisbon.

The 19-year-old has been capped 14 time and came off the bench in Ghana's final group stage game against Uruguay at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

Fatawu joined Lisbon from Ghanaian side Dreams in 2022 and featured in their 1-1 Champions League draw at Tottenham.

"I'm so happy. This is an amazing moment for me, I'm happy to be here," he told the club website.

Fatawu, who is Leicester's eighth summer signing, added: "For me, from looking at Leicester and how I felt about the coach, here is the best place for me.

"This was the best moment for me to join Leicester. I chose them because I think they can grow me and help me mature. The coach told me about the plans he has for me and how he wants me to play - how he wants to help me in my football."

Fatawu helped Ghana lift the Africa Under-20 Cup of Nations in 2021, where he was named player of the tournament.

He also faced Arsenal last season as Sporting knocked the Gunners out of the Europa League in the last 16.

Leicester City have signed Tom Cannon from Everton for an undisclosed fee on a five-year contract.

Cannon, 20, made four senior appearances for the Toffees, most recently as a substitute in the 1-0 defeat by Wolverhampton Wanderers.

But he scored eight times in 21 games on loan in the Championship for Preston North End last season.

Meanwhile, Foxes midfielder Boubakary Soumare has joined Sevilla on a season-long loan.

Soumare has played 59 times for the club in the two years since he signed from Lille, but he has not featured at all under new head coach Enzo Maresca this season.

Cannon is the sixth permanent arrival at the King Power Stadium this summer, along with four other loan signings as Maresca has revamped the Leicester squad following relegation.

"When a club like Leicester come calling, it's hard to say no," the striker told the club's website.

"Everyone knows where the club belongs - that's in the Premier League. I'm sure that's the aim this season, just to get back to the top and then take it from there."

Leicester midfielder Hamza Choudhury has signed a new deal to stay with the Foxes until the summer of 2027.

The 25-year-old Foxes academy graduate has made 91 first-team appearances for the club, having made his debut in the Carabao Cup in 2017.

Choudhury, an FA Cup winner with Leicester in 2021, spent last season on loan at Watford, who did not take up an option to buy him.

"I'm looking forward to cracking on now," Choudhury told the club website.

"It's an amazing feeling for me and my family. This is my home.

"I've obviously spent the majority of my life here around the same people in the same environment."

Choudhury has featured seven times for Enzo Maresca's Foxes in all competitions so far this season.

He has started just one Championship game to date, but started in both their Carabao Cup wins - against League One Burton Albion and League Two side Tranmere Rovers.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »