Thread Rating:
Oxford news
Oxford United have signed left-back Greg Leigh from Championship side Ipswich Town for an undisclosed fee.

The 28-year-old made 20 appearances for the Tractor Boys in 2022-23 and helped them earn promotion from League One.

"I'm really excited," the Jamaica defender told BBC Radio Oxford. "I look at Oxford as a team that has been on the brink of success for a long time.

"I think this club is going places and being able to play week-in and week-out makes me happy.

"Knowing what we [Ipswich] did last year to get promoted I think there of elements of that success that I can bring here to Oxford."

Leigh has featured in two Ipswich games so far this season and previously also played for Crewe Alexandra, NAC Breda in the Dutch second tier, Aberdeen in the Scottish Premiership and League One Morecambe.

"I have played full-back and wing-back in the past, and playing down that left side is something I feel very comfortable with."

Browne faces several months out
Meanwhile, Oxford midfielder Marcus Browne will be out for several months with hamstring injury.

The 25-year-old limped off in the first half of the U's 3-1 win over Barnsley on Saturday.

"We are not going to see Marcus for a few months," head coach Liam Manning told BBC Radio Oxford.

"It's a real blow and I can't speak highly enough about how he has progressed and his professionalism.

"It's just really unfortunate for him, he got himself into a good sport and was contributing massively to the team - I am gutted for him and for us."

Oxford United midfielder Marcus Browne in action for the U's in League One.
Midfielder Marcus Browne has started all four of Oxford United's League One games so far this season
Manning says it is time for other players to step-up from the bench: "We have depth and we have options," he added.

"Marcus' injury is an unfortunate part of the industry, players will pick up injuries and miss periods of time, but it opens the door for other people.

"The situation highlights the importance of depth and the players states of mind because sometimes you might feel a million miles away from the team but one injury and that can all change."

Oxford, who are fourth in League One with nine points from four games, host Charlton at the Kassam Stadium on Saturday.
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

League One Oxford United have signed striker Sonny Perkins from Leeds United on a season-long loan.

The 19-year-old has made six appearances for the Championship side in both under-21 and senior cup competition last season and scored two goals.

"The way Oxford is set up and want to play is really appealing," he told the club website.

"They have started the season strongly and I can't wait to get started."

Oxford confirms Perkins will be available for their League One match against Charlton Athletic at the Kassam Stadium on Saturday.

"He is a very exciting talent, with the ability to play as a striker or across any of the front positions," said head coach Liam Manning.

"He is clever with the ball and has scored goals at every level."

The young striker is the U's second signing this week. The club also signed left-back Greg Leigh from Championship side Ipswich Town for an undisclosed fee.

Oxford United goalkeeper Simon Eastwood has signed a new two-year contract with the League One club.

The 34-year-old has made 280 appearances since rejoining the club from Blackburn Rovers in June 2016.

He previously spent the 2010-11 campaign with the U's after joining from Huddersfield, but did not play a first-team game.

Eastwood has not featured so far in the new campaign, instead providing back up to number one James Beadle.

"James has been excellent but it's no coincidence that Easty is there providing the same sort of competition that we are looking for in every position," Oxford boss Liam Manning told the club website.

"He epitomises the culture that we want here."

Oxford United striker Gatlin O'Donkor has signed a new long-term deal with the club.

The 18-year-old has featured in all five of the U's League One matches so far this season as a substitute and was in the starting line-up for their first-round EFL Cup match.

"I am enjoying my football," O'Donkor told the club website.

"The team is going really well so it was a really easy decision to sign a longer contract."

He added: "The club is ambitious and so am I. All I can do now is work hard and try to repay the faith they have shown in me."

O'Donkor, who made 35 appearances and scored two goals for Oxford in all competitions last season, came through the club's academy.

Head coach Liam Manning believes the young striker has a "bright future" ahead of him.

"Gatlin has all the physical attributes you need and has a very bright future," Manning said.

"He knows there are things he needs to work on if he is to fulfil the huge potential he has and a lot of that comes from within - but at the same time, we will give him every opportunity to keep developing and be part of what we are building this season and in the years to come."

Oxford are currently top of the League One table with four wins and just one loss.

The U's host Port Vale at the Kassam Stadium on Saturday.

Oxford United defender Stephan Negru has signed a new long-term deal to stay at the club.

The 21-year-old has started every game since replacing Jordan Thorniley who was injured at the beginning of the League One season.

"It was an easy decision," he told the club website.

"It was a big step to come over from Ireland but the club have made me feel so at home."

Negru, who joined Oxford midway through last season, has been an important part of the U's strong start to their 2023-24 campaign.

"The fans have been brilliant and I definitely want to be part of what the Gaffer is building here," he said.

Head coach Liam Manning says the young defender is a good example of what he is looking for in his squad.

"We talk about depth of squad and people being ready when called upon, Stephan is a fantastic example of that.

"He had to be a little bit patient but he has seized his opportunity and has so much potential.

"He wants to learn and pushes himself to be better but, along with that work ethic, he is also a terrific competitor."

Oxford, who are currently seventh in League One, return to action after the international break with an away game against a struggling Fleetwood side on Saturday, 16th September.

Oxford United striker Sam Baldock has announced his retirement from football because of a series of injuries.

The 34-year-old joined the U's in February 2022 and signed a new two-year deal that May.

Yet consistent injuries have limited him to only 11 appearances for the club, where he scored four goals.

"The injuries had just become too much," Baldock, who last played for Oxford in February in their 3-0 defeat by Bristol Rovers, said in a statement.

"I did all that I could to get fit and the medical team at Oxford have been incredible. I got so close to a return in January and then had another setback.

"This summer was tough, wondering whether I might have another season within me but, in the end, that gamble was not fair on anyone, including the club and my family."

Baldock, who grew up supporting Oxford, will stay on at the League One club in a newly created backroom role as their business development analyst.

He made 435 appearances through his career for clubs including MK Dons, West Ham, Bristol City, Brighton, Reading and Derby, scoring 121 goals.

While Baldock said it was "the right time" to retire, he added he wished he had played more for Oxford.

"I think I will always look back and wish I had been able to play more games for Oxford and really show what I could do," he said.

"I watched them as a kid and wanted to win promotion here. It wasn't to be."

Oxford United captain Elliott Moore has signed a new "long-term" deal with the club.

The 26-year-old centre-back, a former England youth international, has made 175 appearances for the League One side since joining from Leicester in 2019.

"I'm very happy to have signed an extension," Moore told BBC Radio Oxford.

"We [Oxford players] can see the way the club is going and we want to be a part of it.

Moore has featured in every League One match for Oxford so far this season.

Head coach Liam Manning says the defender has rare talent, and plenty in his legs.

"Like all good defenders Elliott senses danger and reads the game so well," he said.

"He rarely gets beaten in the air but he is comfortable on the ball as well and that is important in the modern game.

"He is the captain, the leader, and has the total respect of everyone in the dressing room.

"At 26 he has his best years ahead of him and we are pleased that he will be doing that with Oxford United."

Ciaron Brown points while playing for Oxford
The length of Ciaron Brown's new Oxford United contract has not been disclosed
Oxford United defender Ciaron Brown has signed a contract extension.

The 25-year-old Northern Ireland international was voted the U's player of the year by fans last season, having joined from Cardiff in 2022.

Brown told the club website: "It just feels like the whole club is making progress and moving forward. I really want to be part of that."

Boss Liam Manning added: "He has his best years ahead of him and [is part of] what we are looking to build here."

Brown came through the ranks in non-league football and has scored four times in 73 appearances for Oxford, after initially joining the club on loan from the Bluebirds.

He said: "I am enjoying my football and the team is going well at the moment. I saw the plans for the new stadium last week - I really want to be part of that. The gaffer and coaching staff have been excellent and the new contract offers that little bit of security for me and my family".

Manning added: "Ciaron has been outstanding for us. He has played in a couple of positions already this season and you know what you are going to get from him every time. He is a fierce competitor, always totally committed and has a fantastic attitude. "

League One side Oxford United have signed former midfielder Alex Rodriguez Gorrin on a short-term deal.

The 30-year-old joined the U's in 2019 and, over two and a half seasons, made 114 appearances and scored three goals.

The Spaniard's third campaign was cut short after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament, which kept him out for the rest of the year.

Rodriguez-Gorrin has been training with Oxford for two months and the club say he is back to full fitness.

"I feel good and want to thank the gaffer for this opportunity," he told the club website.

"I've had one or two games behind closed doors to get match sharp and feel strong and ready to go."

Oxford United: Subscribe for the latest news from the club
Oxford are second in League One and just one point behind leaders Portsmouth, with a game in hand.

Boss Liam Manning says Rodriguez-Gorrin's comeback is something to be admired.

"Alex is a fantastic character," he said. "The way he has fought his way back to fitness speaks volumes about his mental strength and attitude.

"Having someone with his experience and ability who can slot straight into the squad and strengthens our options works for all concerned."

Listen to BBC Radio Oxford's The Dub podcast

Oxford United have signed former Millwall forward Tyler Burey on loan until the end of the season.

The 23-year-old - who can also play out wide - moves from Danish Super League side Odense, whom he joined in August.

Defender Joe Bennett has also signed a new deal to remain with the club until the end of the season.

The 33-year-old former Middlesbrough, Aston Villa and Cardiff City left-back has made 10 U's appearances since arriving as a free agent in December.

"I like the way Oxford play and it will suit my game," Burey told the club website. "The gaffer explained where the club is at right now and where he wants to take it, and I want to play a role in that. They are in a great position in the league and there are some really good players here - I can't wait to get started."

Head coach Des Buckingham said: "He is an exciting player to watch, He is quick, loves to take players on, and fills an important position within the squad. There were plenty of other clubs interested in him and we're really pleased that he chose Oxford."

Bennett told the club website: "It's good to get things settled because this is where I want to play my football. We are in the play-off places, have been playing in front of big crowds and it's an exciting point of the season."

Listen to BBC Radio Oxford's The Dub podcast
"Joe is a top professional and slotted straight into the group and the team," Buckingham added.

"People have to remember that he was without a club and hadn't played for six months so to perform like he has done is credit to the way he looks after himself and the standards he sets. I am sure he will play a big part in a successful second half of the season."

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »