Thread Rating:
Neil's bargains
Sunderland winger Patrick Roberts has signed a new two-year deal to stay with the club until 2024.

Roberts, 25, joined the Black Cats in January on a six-month deal and went on to make 17 appearances for the club in League One.

He began his career with Fulham and signed for Manchester City in 2015.

Roberts spent most of his seven years with the Premier League champions on loan at Celtic, Girona, Middlesbrough, Norwich City and Derby County.

"My mind has always been made up about where I want to be and it feels amazing to be back after what we achieved last season," Roberts said.

"I'm pleased that we have done the deal early because I can now enjoy pre-season and get ready for the new campaign, which I felt was important."
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Sunderland have signed defender Daniel Ballard on a three-year deal from Premier League side Arsenal for an undisclosed fee.

Ballard, 22, who did not make a senior appearance for the Gunners, joins with a further year's option on his deal.

The Northern Ireland international previously spent time on loan with Swindon, Blackpool and Millwall.

"It feels amazing to be here and I'm extremely happy," he told Sunderland's official website.

Ballard joins Sunderland having helped Millwall finish ninth in the Championship last season during a campaign where he made 31 appearances.

The Black Cats signed him after a move to Burnley fell through and the centre-back added: "The fanbase and size of this football club speaks for itself and having been up here to have a look around, it feels like an exciting place to be.

"Supporters can expect to see a player who loves defending and tackling. I'm more of a traditional centre-half and I want to add those qualities to the team, while also bringing something a little extra."

Sunderland boss Alex Neil added: "He fits the bill and he also knows what it takes to win, sampling success with Blackpool in the play-offs before having a year under his belt [in the second tier] with Millwall last season. We are really pleased to get this deal over the line."

Sunderland defender Bailey Wright has signed a new two-year contract.

The 29-year-old Australia international has played 91 times for the Black Cats and scored four goals since moving to the club in January 2020.

After initially arriving on loan from Bristol City, he made his move permanent the following summer.

He was in the Sunderland side that won the League One play-off final at Wembley and helped his country qualify for the World Cup in Qatar.

"Going from League One to the Championship is a big step, but we wanted to keep that core together and retain our key performers from last season," Sunderland boss Alex Neil told the club website.

"We know the leadership qualities that Bailey has, and he has played in the Championship before so he adds experience, but his influence on other players can't be underestimated.

"Although sometimes you can only see that off the pitch, I've been in and around it enough to recognise that and we are delighted to get this deal across the line."

Sunderland have completed the permanent signing of Spurs winger Jack Clarke following a loan spell at the Stadium of Light last season.

The 21-year-old arrives for an undisclosed fee and has signed a four-year deal.

Clarke joined Sunderland on loan in January and made 20 appearances on the way to helping secure promotion to the Championship via the play-offs.

Manager Alex Neil described Clarke as "a player with huge potential".

The winger, who has previously played in the Championship for Leeds, Stoke and QPR, says he is "delighted to be back".

"It felt right to return and after winning promotion to the Championship last season, I'm excited to play my part in the next step of our journey," he added.

Sunderland have signed defender Aji Alese from West Ham United on a three-year deal for an undisclosed fee.

The Black Cats, promoted to the Championship via the play-offs last season, have added the 21-year-old to their squad for the new campaign.

Alese played twice for the Hammers first-team and also spent time on loan with Accrington Stanley and Cambridge United, playing 17 games in total.

"It's amazing to be here and I'm happy the deal is done," Alese said.

"I live five minutes away from West Ham's training ground and I've been there since the age of eight, so it could have been easier to stay but life isn't easy and I'm ready for the challenge."

Wearsiders boss Alex Neil added: "Aji is left-footed and he's really quick. I like having balance in my team and he was at a stage whereby he was really pushing to get into West Ham's first team, so we felt it was a really good fit for us."

Sunderland have signed goalkeeper Alex Bass from Portsmouth on a three-year deal for an undisclosed fee.

The 24-year-old has played 63 EFL and cup games for Pompey, Bradford and Southend, with 41 of those senior appearances while at Fratton Park.

He featured 21 times while on loan with the Bantams last season in League Two under manager Mark Hughes.

"This is a massive club and the move represents a great chance for me to test myself," Bass said.

"Sunderland had a great run last season and to earn promotion through the play-offs is always tough, so it shows there is a great bunch of lads here."

Boss Alex Neil added: "We know that we needed to add competition in the goalkeeping department and Alex fits our model in terms of signing another young and up-and-coming player."

Sunderland have signed striker Ellis Simms from Premier League club Everton on a season-long loan.

The 21-year-old will join Alex Neil's Black Cats on their return to the Championship, having been at Scottish Premiership side Hearts last season.

Simms scored seven goals in 21 games for the Jam Tarts, helping them qualify for the Europa League play-offs, and previously spent time at Blackpool.

"It's such a massive club and I can't wait to get started," Simms said.

"As soon as Sunderland showed an interest, I knew this this would be a great environment for me to continue my development and a great platform to show what I can do. I've played in League One and the SPL, so this is the next step for me and I feel I'm ready for the Championship."

Alex Neil added: "He will compliment Ross Stewart, but equally he will provide competition and he joins following two really good loan spells at Blackpool and Hearts."

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »