Thread Rating:
Signing
Luton Town have signed midfielder Alfie Doughty from Championship rivals Stoke City for an undisclosed fee.

The 22-year-old is moving on a permanent deal but the exact length has not been disclosed by the Hatters.

Doughty spent the second half of last season on loan at Cardiff City, scoring once in nine appearances.

"Getting top half the year before and then top six last year, you can tell the team is just getting better and better," he told the Luton website.

"That is definitely one of the reasons I am here."

Doughty is Luton's first signing since their run to the Championship play-offs which ended with a two-leg defeat by Huddersfield Town.

He began his career at Charlton Athletic before joining Stoke in January 2021 and went on to play 16 games for the Potters, though all 11 in the league were as a substitute
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Luton Town have signed Barnsley striker Cauley Woodrow for an undisclosed fee.

The 27-year-old began his career as a junior at Kenilworth Road, playing for them in the FA Trophy when he was only 16, before moving to Fulham in 2011.

Woodrow spent four seasons with the Tykes - the first of them on loan - and scored 53 goals in 157 games but missed part of last term with a knee injury.

He was in the side that won promotion from League One in 2019 and reached the Championship play-offs in 2021.

"Cauley is a real standout signing for us - a marquee signing," said Luton manager Nathan Jones.

"He's a player with real good technical ability, he gives us good options in the attacking area and he's a type of player that we haven't got, a really clever player."

Woodrow made six Premier League appearances for Fulham at the end of the 2013-14 season and scored in a 2-2 draw with Crystal Palace.

He had loan spells at Southend, Burton Albion and Bristol City before joining Barnsley in the summer of 2018.

Details about the length of his contract with Luton have not been disclosed.

"I'm a bit emotional to be back at Luton Town. This is where I started my journey as a professional footballer and (chief executive) Gary Sweet always said that I'd come back and play one day," Woodrow said.

"To be playing my football back where it all started, it is great for me."

Bristol Rovers boss Joey Barton has signed a three-year contract extension with the club until 2026.

The former Manchester City, Newcastle and QPR player guided Rovers to a dramatic final-day promotion with an extraordinary 7-0 win over Scunthorpe.

Barton, 39, was appointed in February 2021, but they were relegated to League Two at the end of that campaign.

The Pirates won 23 games as they were promoted back to League One at the first time of asking last season.

Bristol Rovers 'confident' ahead of League One return
"I am delighted to sign a new deal at Bristol Rovers," said Barton, who previously managed Fleetwood Town from 2018 to 2021.

"The journey we have been on and the support I have received from the owner Wael Al-Qadi, the CEO Tom Gorringe and the relationship we've built with the Gasheads, these are all massive factors in me signing on for another four years."

Going into the last day of the season, Rovers needed to better the result of third-placed Northampton or win by five goals more than their rivals.

Northampton won 3-1, but the Pirates secured the final automatic promotion spot on goals scored, returning to League One with Exeter City and champions Forest Green Rovers.

Nottingham Forest goalkeeper Ethan Horvath has joined Luton Town on a season-long loan deal.

The 27-year-old joined Forest from Club Bruges after 64 appearances in the summer of 2021 and played 11 games on their way to Premier League promotion.

United States international Horvath won three league titles in Belgium and one in Norway with first European club Molde.

"The people have been really nice," Horvath told the club website.

"The club has a real family feel to it, which I like. There are good people in the business and you want good people to help you succeed."

Luton have James Shea, Harry Isted and ex-Hibernian keeper Matt Macey - who joined the club last week - among their goalkeeping options.

Luton Town have signed midfielder Luke Freeman as a free agent following his end-of-season release by fellow Championship side Sheffield United.

Freeman was the Blades' first signing, from QPR, after being promoted to the Premier League in 2019.

But he made just 24 league appearances, the last of them in September, prior to finishing the season on loan in the Championship with Millwall.

The 30-year-old Londoner has signed an undisclosed-length contract.

"I coached and played with Luke at Yeovil," said Luton boss Nathan Jones. "Then he did well at Stevenage, really well at Bristol City and then QPR.

"He's a fantastic character and a really good technical player; a left-footed, energetic midfielder who is attack-minded. I've tried to sign Luke on two occasions before."

Freeman, Luton's sixth summer signing, has signed in time to join their pre-season trip to Slovenia, ahead of the Championship campaign opener at home to Birmingham City on 30 July.

Luton Town have signed Grimsby forward John McAtee for an undisclosed fee and loaned him back to the League Two club for the rest of the season.

The 23-year-old scored 14 goals in 37 National League games last season - including one in the play-off final as the Mariners won promotion.

"I want to get more game time so when I'm back here next year, I'm ready to go," McAtee told the Luton website.

Luton have also signed striker Bim Pepple from Canadian side Cavalry FC.

The 19-year-old was born in Northamptonshire and had trials with Leicester and Sheffield United last year, having spent most of the past 14 years on the other side of the Atlantic.

He was the Canadian Premier League's player of the month for June after scoring in five successive games and Hatters boss Nathan Jones said: "He's a real good blank canvas to develop into our next Elijah [Adebayo], our next Cameron Jerome, our next Carlton Morris."

Luton have not disclosed details of either player's contract, but they have also paid an undisclosed fee for Pepple.

Grimsby chairman Jason Stockwood said having McAtee back on loan this season was a "big incentive" in them agreeing to the move.

"We obviously really wanted to keep John at Grimsby Town and we offered him a new deal in the close season to get him on a longer contract," he continued.

"We knew there was a good chance we'd probably end up losing John on a free at the end of the season, and so at least by letting him go now, the club has been able to benefit from his transfer."

Luton Town have signed goalkeeper Jack Walton from Barnsley for an undisclosed fee, with Hatters keeper Harry Isted going the other way on loan.

Walton, 24, has played nine games for the Tykes this season, all but one of them coming in cup competitions.

Walton's contract at Oakwell, where he used to work with Luton goalkeeping coach Kevin Pilkington, was due to expire at the end of the season.

Isted, 25, moves to League One side Barnsley for the rest of the season.

Luton Town have signed Marvelous Nakamba on loan from Aston Villa for the rest of the season as well as Peterborough striker Joe Taylor for an undisclosed fee.

Nakamba, 29, has not featured for Villa since last season's Premier League title-deciding loss at Manchester City.

The Zimbabwe international was first brought to England from Bruges for £11m in the summer of 2019.

Taylor, 20, has made 15 appearances in all competitions for Posh this term.

Nakamba and Taylor's arrivals mean they join on-loan Leeds United defender Cody Drameh and Barnsley keeper Jack Walton in joining Luton this January.

Meanwhile, midfielder Ed McJannet, 19, has joined Lecce on a permanent deal.

Republic of Ireland Under-19 international McJannet joins the Italian Serie A club for an undisclosed fee, having never made a first-team appearance for the Hatters.

After arriving at Villa following promotion from the Championship, Nakamba has since made 68 appearances, 58 of them in the Premier League, without scoring.

"He's got a brilliant attitude," said Luton boss Rob Edwards. "Great physicality, good quality. I think he really suits the way we play.

"That position is one we've been looking to fill for a while. We've got a lot of good midfielders, but not many natural, deep-midfield players."

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »