Thread Rating:
New Swans
Swansea City have signed centre-back Harry Darling on a three-year deal from MK Dons.

The 22-year-old had been a key target for Swansea head coach Russell Martin since he took charge in August 2021.

Martin signed Darling during his spell as MK Dons boss with the player making 72 appearances, scoring 10 goals, since joining the Dons in January 2021.

Darling enjoys Martin's possession-based style, saying: "I personally think it's the best way to play."

He added: "I was with him at my last club and we've stayed in contact.

"I love working with him and it's such a big club. I've heard really good things about it so those were the two reasons I want to come here.

"I know the way the manager plays so it was just a case of getting the deal over the line - I just can't wait to get started."

He added: "Although I'm a ball playing centre-back, my first job is to keep clean sheets, defend well and do that for the team. If I can do that bit first, then goals are just added extras."
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Wales midfielder Joe Allen has rejoined Swansea City on a two-year contract.

Allen, 32, was a free agent having left Stoke City after six years with the Swans' Championship rivals.

The Swansea academy product returns to his boyhood club 10 years after he left to join Liverpool for £15m.

Allen's arrival follows the departure of fellow midfielder Flynn Downes, who has joined West Ham in a five-year deal understood to be worth about £12m.

The midfielder, 23, had seemed set for Crystal Palace, but wanted to join West Ham after they matched the Eagles' offer.

The Essex-born midfielder Downes, a West Ham fan, excelled at Swansea last season after joining from Ipswich Town for about £1.4m in August 2021.

Swansea have now made a large profit on the former England Under-20s player.
His departure allowed head coach Russell Martin to sign Wales international Allen.

Pembrokeshire-born Allen came through Swansea's youth ranks to make 150 senior appearances before leaving for Liverpool in a £15m deal in 2012.

Martin said he was keen to sign Allen at the end of last season, but Swansea's owners had been unwilling to sanction a deal until players left the club.

Martin had hoped Allen would play alongside Downes and captain Matt Grimes in Swansea's midfield in 2022-23, but it is Downes' departure that has prompted Swansea to push through a deal for Allen.

Bristol City defender Nathan Baker has retired aged 31 on medical advice following a double concussion.

Baker has not played since being taken to hospital after a clash of heads in their 2-0 defeat at Sheffield United in November 2021.

The incident came one month after he suffered a concussion during a Championship game against West Brom.

Manager Nigel Pearson said in June that Baker was unlikely to play during the current season.

A statement on the Robins website said: "Having assessed his progression over a period of nine months, Nathan has been advised by medical professionals that to carry on playing at a professional level would represent a significant risk to his ongoing and future health.

"He is currently well, without any neurological or cognitive issues, but is likely to be monitored with further neuro-psychology testing in the future."

Baker began his career at Aston Villa, making more than 100 league appearances for the club, and had loan spells at Lincoln, Millwall and Ashton Gate before making a permanent move to Bristol in the summer of 2017 for an undisclosed fee.

"Football has been a massive part of my life from a very young age, so this has not been the easiest decision for me, however I must take the advice from the medical team and consultants," he said.

"It's sad to think I won't be playing football again, there are so many things I am going to miss, such as my team-mates, the friendships made, plus a good tackle! But I must put my health and family first, it's not worth the risk."

Pearson added: "It's a sad day for any player when they have to step away from the game, especially in Nathan's case when it's a lot earlier than he had planned.

"Nathan was a fabulous servant to our club and popular in dressing room as well in the stands with the supporters. We wish him all the best for the future as he starts his life away from the pitch with his young family."

Goalkeeper Andreas Sondergaard has joined Swansea City on a deal until the end of the season.

Sondergaard, 22, has been a free agent since he left Wolves in January.

The Danish youth international came through the ranks at Molineux and has had loan spells at Randers and Hereford United.

With Steven Benda out with a knee injury, Sondergaard will provide competition for Andy Fisher and Lewis Webb.

Swansea City midfielder Jay Fulton has signed a new contract which will keep him at the Championship club until the summer of 2026.

Fulton, 28, has been one of Swansea's most consistent performers this season having forced his way into Russell Martin's plans.

The Scot is Swansea's longest-serving player, having joined the club from Falkirk in 2014.

His previous deal had been due to expire at the end of next season.

"As soon as the club came to me about a new contract, I was keen to get it sorted as soon as possible," Fulton said.

"I believe in what we are trying to do here, and the project here.

"Obviously results have not gone our way over the second half of the season, but in terms of performances, the style we want to play and the manager we have got, there are a lot of positives to take forward."

The fact that Swansea have finalised Fulton's new deal is a boost for head coach Martin, who has been frustrated by the club's failure to agree new contracts with the likes of Ryan Manning and Joel Latibeaudiere.

Fulton has made 205 appearances for Swansea, scoring 14 goals, and is one of the senior figures in their squad.

He was a fringe figure at times during 2021-22, Martin's first year as Swansea boss, when it appeared his spell at the club may be heading towards a conclusion.

But Fulton has re-established himself in this campaign, scoring four times in 36 appearances.

"It's really positive news for the club," said Martin. "Jay has been such a big player for us this season, both on and off the pitch.

"He's a really good player to have here, he cares deeply about the club and the city. He was really keen to stay here, and we were really keen to get it all done so I'm pleased it's sorted.

"Last season was tough for him but we've always had a great relationship. This year he has come back with a different mentality and he's been one of our top players this season.

"In terms of age, continuity, understanding of the club and what we are trying to do, it's so important, and this is a really big move for him and for the club."

Manning and Latibeaudiere are expected to leave the Swansea.com Stadium when their deals expire at the end of this season.

The likes of top scorer Joel Piroe and Wales defender Ben Cabango see their contracts come to an end in the summer of 2024, and it remains to be seen whether Swansea can agree new deals with those players.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »