Thread Rating:
Duff reshaping squad
Barnsley defender Liam Kitching has signed a new three-and-a-half-year contract to the summer of 2026.

The 23-year-old's deal includes an option for a further 12 months at the League One club.

Kitching has made 54 league appearances for the Tykes since joining from Forest Green Rovers in January 2021.

"I feel I have developed massively since joining and I'm excited to continue growing my game here," he told the club website.
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Barnsley have signed Cardiff City striker Max Watters on loan for the rest of the season.

The 23-year-old joined the Championship club from Crawley two years ago but has only scored once in 22 league games.

He was, however, more productive during a loan spell at League One club MK Dons last season, finding the net seven times in 14 appearances.

Barnsley are sixth in the third tier and are away to Derby County in the FA Cup third round on Saturday.

"He is a hungry young player with experience across the EFL and we're looking forward to seeing him perform within [head coach] Michael Duff's system," said Tykes chief executive Khaled El-Ahmad.

"It was important to strengthen the squad as soon as possible and we thank Cardiff City for working with us to get the move over the line."

Watters, whose most recent Cardiff appearance was as a substitute at Sunderland in November, is Barnsley's first signing of the transfer window.

arnsley have signed defender Barry Cotter from League of Ireland club Shamrock Rovers for an undisclosed fee on a three-and-a-half year deal.

The 24-year-old returns to the English league, having been with Ipswich Town's development squad for four years after moving from Limerick in January 2018.

Cotter has European and domestic experience with Rovers and with St Patrick's Athletic in Irish football.

"It's a great opportunity, I'm absolutely buzzing," Cotter said.

"I can't wait to hit the ground running. It's a huge club, there's great history."

Barnsley chief executive Khaled El-Ahmad added."We look forward to seeing him work with Michael [Duff] and the staff out on the training pitch and wish him a warm welcome to the club."

League One side Barnsley have triggered options on Mads Andersen, Brad Collins and Jordan Williams to keep all three players at the club until the end of next season.

Danish defender Andersen, 25, is the Reds' club captain and has been at Oakwell since June 2019.

Goalkeeper Collins, 25, is in his fourth season with the Tykes and has played 115 games for the club.

Right-back Williams, 23, signed for the club in 2018 from Bury.

The trio's contracts had previously been due to expire this summer.

Barnsley are sixth in League One, five points inside the play-offs.

Barnsley have signed striker Oli Shaw from Scottish Premiership side Kilmarnock on a two-and-a-half-year deal for an undisclosed fee.

The 24-year-old netted 14 goals as Killie won promotion from the Championship last season but was yet to score in the top tier this term.

Shaw, who lists Hibernian and Ross County among his former clubs, has 42 goals in 167 career appearances.

"I'm happy to be here," Shaw told the club website.

"It's been a long couple of days. I've known about it for a while, but I'm finally here now."

Meanwhile, the Tykes have also signed teenage goalkeeper Adam Hayton from Tottenham Hotspur and 22-year-old midfielder Jon Russell from Huddersfield Town.

Luton-born 18-year-old Hayton has trained with the Spurs first team and only signed a new deal in July, while Russell joins for an undisclosed fee having helped the Terriers to the Championship play-off final last term.

Michael Duff's Tykes are sixth in League One, with 43 points from 25 games.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »